Poor Golf Etiquette

Thread starter #22
If they are in your line tell them to move. I think we would all do that. In your original post you stated many times, not all the time. Read my post again before you start quoting reading comprehension.
Then surely you comprehend when I said 'some' had a problem. And rather than getting into some precious pissing match, also consider that 'all' *aren't* getting out of direct line. Or it wouldn't be an issue.

There still hasn't been a decent explanation on why *anyone* should have to 'ask' for the safety and common courtesy of a clear line of shot. You'll be accorded unspoken respect from me, why should I be required to request it from you?

Thread starter #23
So how do they get so far ahead of you?
Sometines hitting their third, fourth or whatever shot before I'm hitting a second. But sometimes also hitting a longer shot on the same line, going past and just not caring.

Last edited:

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
Then surely you comprehend when I said 'some' had a problem. And rather than getting into some precious pissing match, also consider that 'all' *aren't* getting out of direct line. Or it wouldn't be an issue.

There still hasn't been a decent explanation on why *anyone* should have to 'ask' for the safety and common courtesy of a clear line of shot. You'll be accorded unspoken respect from me, why should I be required to request it from you?
I'm not getting into a position where a connection off the pipe is going to hit me.

I can never understand golfers who walk ahead and put themselves in this position.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
I'm not getting into a position where a connection off the pipe is going to hit me.

I can never understand golfers who walk ahead and put themselves in this position.
Over the last 40+ years I've been hit, or nearly hit, on numerous occasions on the course.
As a relatively long hitter for my usual playing groups, and someone whom is physically unable to walk at normal speed without stress, I am nearly always positioned well ahead of one, or more, of my playing partners - especially when the course is playing slowly, and the need to be seeing to hold position as a group seems to become important to many.

However, represented as a Venn diagram of the 2 situations it's

O O

Then again I can't remember ever having to ask a playing partner to move away from my line of play, nor has anyone ever asked me to move, stop or pay attention (one notable exception being an incident with a moving trolley making a noise on a soaking fairway during a players pre shot routine...)

Which, in way, is why the underlying aspect of this thread (that there are lots of people out there doing it) seems somewhat strange, and probably gives rise to some of the other responses

bluewolf

Money List Winner
I've been playing 8 years and can count on the fingers of one finger the times that someone has intentionally stood anywhere near my line of play, or even within 20-30 yards of it. I've never seen it.
I don't doubt that the Op is telling the truth, but I can only suggest that you change your PP's as they sound like suicidal asshats.

RulesGuy

I'm a solid 6 handicap, and don't play slowly; no practice swings, about 15 seconds over each shot. And since I normally walk, I'm also fast to my ball But I've encountered an increasing tendency of other players to edge forward while I'm hitting, or even to walk or ride ahead to their balls when they've got a shot beyond mine, many times just a few degrees off my shot line. It's dangerous, distracting, and oftentimes has a detrimental effect on my shot. Besides lasering one into the offenders, how can I convey the message to stay in shot order?

Usually someone will try the line that they're only trying to get to their balls to improve pace of play. But if the result is errant shots, we're losing time anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I've had the same issues with a tiny number of players who stride out to their ball oblivious as to where their playing partners are. Obviously it's a matter of degree but I'm a solid 23 handicapper playing off 19 which means that my ball could literally go anywhere. With regard pace of play simple things like playing your ball before looking for your pp ball, not waiting for someone to rake a greenside bunker and collect their putter without you taking your putt, forgetting honour on the tee and dare I say leaving the flag in will all add up to an improved pace of play.

Thread starter #30
If they are in your line tell them to move. I think we would all do that. In your original post you stated many times, not all the time. Read my post again before you start quoting reading comprehension.
If you did comprehend, you'd see I said comprehension was problematic for "some here". And while you "think we would all do that", supposedly meaning get out of direct shot line, not all do, which is the issue.

Who knows how some here get 'precious' out of principle. But there's been no explanation on why most players will be afforded unspoken respect for their game, while others should have to "ask" for the same basic common courtesy.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
If someone is in your line or disturbing you whilst you play your shot simply ask them to either move or stay still etc

The one comment for me that was telling was you going on about people playing “out of turn” - no such thing I guess these days in strokeplay , play when ready regardless of whose “turn” it is.

jobr1850

Challenge Tour Pro
Reading comprehension seems to be in short supply for some here. The issue isn't ready golf, or marginal lines, but someone in direct line of play. 'Precious' is such a... precious... attempt at absolving poor behavior. And I highly doubt that it's a 'minority' if you had to contend with the same thing in *your* shot line...
How to win friends and influence people.

You say the issue isn’t ready golf but in previous breaths mention speed of play.

The rules have changed, ready golf now.

May be your playing partners are telling you something.

If someone is directly in your line, politely point it out, otherwise get on with it.

Thread starter #33
I've been playing 8 years and can count on the fingers of one finger the times that someone has intentionally stood anywhere near my line of play, or even within 20-30 yards of it. I've never seen it.
I don't doubt that the Op is telling the truth, but I can only suggest that you change your PP's as they sound like suicidal asshats.
They seem more genuinely clueless, or just too focused on their game.

Congratulations, that it hasn't happened to you. Yet. Hopefully you also haven't or won't get hit by a wayward struck ball someone neglected to call out. Or had your clubs stolen, your car broken into at a course lot, or seen a fistfight during a game.

I play a ton of rounds and perhaps see more than most. I also have a lot of laughs and great days with all sorts of people. Yeah, maybe I'll just have to adjust to different times and attitudes. But there's a timeless allure to golf and its standards that still seems worthy of respect.

Thread starter #34
If someone is in your line or disturbing you whilst you play your shot simply ask them to either move or stay still etc

The one comment for me that was telling was you going on about people playing “out of turn” - no such thing I guess these days in strokeplay , play when ready regardless of whose “turn” it is.
I didn't "go on" about playing out of turn. I play ready golf tee-to-green, with an exception tor birdies off the tee first. That's just respect, and golf karma. I only mentioned going out of order in regards to players hitting tee balls when they didn't hold the 'honor' and then walking off while I'm hitting.

The 'honors code' may no longer be in play, but hopefully reciprocal respect remains. You're never going to see me move or hear anything my way while you're at address, why can't the reverse be true? Maybe other people have iron concentration, but it doesn't seem much to expect 15 seconds for a player to hit without distraction.

Last edited:
Thread starter #35
How to win friends and influence people.

You say the issue isn’t ready golf but in previous breaths mention speed of play.

The rules have changed, ready golf now.

May be your playing partners are telling you something.

If someone is directly in your line, politely point it out, otherwise get on with it.
Or maybe your attitude is saying something about you, and the inconsiderate behavior of others. My playing partners are generally respectful and aware. It's the exceptions at issue.

There's still been no decent explanation on why a player should have to "ask" for safe and considerate play. But I'm now getting the message loud and clear that I'm not going to feel badly about pointing it out if someone is clueless and can't observe basic respect.

Interesting first experience on this site. Hopefully some of the views and habits of play expressed won't be what I encounter on a course.

Wolf

Having just read every post on this thread I can't help but think the OP and subsequent posts show an air of arrogance because instead of being accepting of opinion your insulting forum members for their reading comprehension, questioning attitudes because people happen to have a different opinion then saying all for ready golf, plays ready golf but still expects people to allow for honour on the tee and wait behind you. ..

Then says interesting first views on this site as though everyone but the OP is a golfer that should agree with him! The first thing I'd ask is if this is the response your getting to your post and if its every one you play with being unreasonable in your eyes are you sure it's in fact not you that's in the wrong, after all the common denominator in all this poor etiquette is in fact the OP, yet apparently its everyone else that's in the wrong :unsure:

Then to details in the post what has a 6 handicap got to do with it, does that entitle you to more respect than a 16 or 26 handicapper, not in my eyes at all!

If I'm ahead of you and not in your eyeline I'm walking ahead and getting ready to play that's the point of ready golf and stops undue delays, if I'm ready to putt before you in ready golf I'm going to putt, that doesn't make me rude it means I'm playing to the rules and showing etiquette to other groups by getting on with it without undue delays.

Likewise the point of they walk off when your teeing off, or play 2nd, 3rd or 4th shots whilst your still playing your 2nd, if that is in fact true I'm seriously questioning if you are in fact at all yourself playing ready golf, I'm questioning the 15 seconds you claim to play in because if that's true how are they playing 4th shots whilst your still setting up your 2nd.

Then the fact they walk off the tee before you played that's not because of ready golf if they're doing that and you've done nothing wrong then that's them being rude but if in fact they're all doing every time time it seems more an issue they have with the person which takes us back to other issues on pace of play etc or perhaps you come across in person as you are on here, which imo seems arrogant, entitled and eliteist.

You also mention you hope not to come across some forumers because of their responses I'll happily be the first one to say I'll extend that and hope that you don't ever get drawn to play with me because with the way you come across on here after 1 post I'd be another one walking off with the rest of the 3 ball having a decent chat whilst leaving you and your self entitled arrogance behind.

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
Or maybe your attitude is saying something about you, and the inconsiderate behavior of others. My playing partners are generally respectful and aware. It's the exceptions at issue.

There's still been no decent explanation on why a player should have to "ask" for safe and considerate play. But I'm now getting the message loud and clear that I'm not going to feel badly about pointing it out if someone is clueless and can't observe basic respect.

Interesting first experience on this site. Hopefully some of the views and habits of play expressed won't be what I encounter on a course.
Unfortunately this forum is no different to any golf club.

Hang around and you will soon find out those who are reasonable and those who's view is the only one that counts.

LIG

Q-School Graduate

Having just read every post on this thread I can't help but think the OP and subsequent posts show an air of arrogance because instead of being accepting of opinion your insulting forum members for their reading comprehension, questioning attitudes because people happen to have a different opinion then saying all for ready golf, plays ready golf but still expects people to allow for honour on the tee and wait behind you. ..

Then says interesting first views on this site as though everyone but the OP is a golfer that should agree with him! The first thing I'd ask is if this is the response your getting to your post and if its every one you play with being unreasonable in your eyes are you sure it's in fact not you that's in the wrong, after all the common denominator in all this poor etiquette is in fact the OP, yet apparently its everyone else that's in the wrong :unsure:

Then to details in the post what has a 6 handicap got to do with it, does that entitle you to more respect than a 16 or 26 handicapper, not in my eyes at all!

If I'm ahead of you and not in your eyeline I'm walking ahead and getting ready to play that's the point of ready golf and stops undue delays, if I'm ready to putt before you in ready golf I'm going to putt, that doesn't make me rude it means I'm playing to the rules and showing etiquette to other groups by getting on with it without undue delays.

Likewise the point of they walk off when your teeing off, or play 2nd, 3rd or 4th shots whilst your still playing your 2nd, if that is in fact true I'm seriously questioning if you are in fact at all yourself playing ready golf, I'm questioning the 15 seconds you claim to play in because if that's true how are they playing 4th shots whilst your still setting up your 2nd.

Then the fact they walk off the tee before you played that's not because of ready golf if they're doing that and you've done nothing wrong then that's them being rude but if in fact they're all doing every time time it seems more an issue they have with the person which takes us back to other issues on pace of play etc or perhaps you come across in person as you are on here, which imo seems arrogant, entitled and eliteist.

You also mention you hope not to come across some forumers because of their responses I'll happily be the first one to say I'll extend that and hope that you don't ever get drawn to play with me because with the way you come across on here after 1 post I'd be another one walking off with the rest of the 3 ball having a decent chat whilst leaving you and your self entitled arrogance behind.
Like Wolf, I've read every post on this thread with mounting disbelief at the OP's attitiude; and it occured to me a possibility that we have someone from the USA. Is that you Donald?
:devilish::ROFLMAO:

Thread starter #39
Heh, I got a real kick out of seeing this develop that I'm somehow the problem for a very specifically described issue; someone in *any* player's direct shot line, or moving around inordinately while at address on the tee. I only added further details to inform that I'm not a novice and am a relatively fast player. I would truly hope that *anyone* wouldn't have to deal with these (fortunately) rare lapses in decorum.

With the rise of inconsiderate behavior everywhere, I guess some of the responses here shouldn't be any more surprising than the very occasional lapses in player behavior on the course.

I can't help how a few of you folks are terming me, that I'm somehow "arrogant" rather than the rare problem player at issue that I've mentioned who literally puts their play ahead of others. But I hope to be perceived as a friendly, caring, considerate person in life and on a course, and have a fairly wide group that began as strangers on a golf track but whom are now warm friends of all ages, backgrounds, genders, and skill levels. So must be doing something right. If we ever played in a group, I'd imagine you'd recall it as fairly fun day filled with respectful behavior, appreciation of shots, hopefully some good golf -- and most of all... plenty of laughs.

I do appreciate those who gave considered input to the problem. While I wish it didn't have to be the case, it now seems that in golf as in life we have to either tolerate bad behavior or accept the awkward position of speaking up if we hope to see it changed. Cheers!