Poor Golf Etiquette

Thread starter #1
I'm a solid 6 handicap, and don't play slowly; no practice swings, about 15 seconds over each shot. And since I normally walk, I'm also fast to my ball But I've encountered an increasing tendency of other players to edge forward while I'm hitting, or even to walk or ride ahead to their balls when they've got a shot beyond mine, many times just a few degrees off my shot line. It's dangerous, distracting, and oftentimes has a detrimental effect on my shot. Besides lasering one into the offenders, how can I convey the message to stay in shot order?

Usually someone will try the line that they're only trying to get to their balls to improve pace of play. But if the result is errant shots, we're losing time anyway. Any suggestions are appreciated.

just tell em outright ,dont get in my eye line and that means dont get ahead of me whilst im playing my shot.
if they dont like it just standand wait for them to move out of your way .keep standing and waiting make them feel in the wrong.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
think this depends on how similar a line they are on to you

unless im directly in front of you I will almost always walk ahead to my ball then stand to the side and watch as you hit your shot. dont see any need to stand and wait behind a 6 capper, would rather get to my ball and assess my shot so im ready to hit once you have

if you dont ever want a playing partner ahead of you at any point when hitting a shot then for me youre being too precious, if its just the guys you play with being inconsiderate then fair enough, just a matter where the line lies for me

bluewolf

Money List Winner
think this depends on how similar a line they are on to you

unless im directly in front of you I will almost always walk ahead to my ball then stand to the side and watch as you hit your shot. dont see any need to stand and wait behind a 6 capper, would rather get to my ball and assess my shot so im ready to hit once you have

if you dont ever want a playing partner ahead of you at any point when hitting a shot then for me youre being too precious, if its just the guys you play with being inconsiderate then fair enough, just a matter where the line lies for me
Can't disagree at all. If I'm anywhere near your line I stay behind. If I'm 20 yards plus to either side then I'm walking to my ball and getting ready for my next shot. If that's an issue for a PP then I'll stay behind. I will silently question their mental strength though 😉

Thread starter #5
Thanks Radd-Man. It's gotten to be a standard, but bad habit with some in a local Skins Game I frequent. Where it just now seems acceptable behavior. And when I've asked others about it, they just shrug.

One guy yesterday had gotten all the way to the green while the rest of the group were still coming in, was standing right in line of my 100 yard approach, and even after nearly getting hit *still* didn't get a clue. And I've had guys advance on either side, leaving me a tunnel, which hardly ever produces a good shot.

It doesn't seem much to expect, and I shouldn't have to be put in the uncomfortable spot of having to say something. But I'm now at the point of just wanting to clear the air on the first tee, and trying to establish, 'Hey guys, all I need is 15 seconds and a clear line.'

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
It's one of the potential pitfalls of ready golf and trying to speed play up.
I'm with Wolfie and Fundy.
Close to the line wait behind, 20 yards away and I'm at my ball.
With more emphasis being placed on speeding things up if can see this becoming more common and people getting closer to lines.

Thread starter #7
I will silently question their mental strength though 😉
Yeah, well, I question how much regard you have for other people. Seems like you could be one of those people who consider your game more important than common courtesy.

Everyone wants fair pace of play, and I'm not talking about players who are marginally ahead out of my line but getting to their ball ready for a next shot. I'm talking about people within a few degrees of my direct line of shot. And guys leaving the tee while I'm hitting, usually after hitting out of order with a higher score on the preceding hole.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Yeah, well, I question how much regard you have for other people. Seems like you could be one of those people who consider your game more important than common courtesy.

Everyone wants fair pace of play, and I'm not talking about players who are marginally ahead out of my line but getting to their ball ready for a next shot. I'm talking about people within a few degrees of my direct line of shot. And guys leaving the tee while I'm hitting, usually after hitting out of order with a higher score on the preceding hole.
Simple solution. Hit it past me then.

Thread starter #10
Ah, so others' poor behavior is somehow my fault. And while I'm hitting my second shot on a hole, another player should be able to go to their third, or fourth or whatever -- in my line.

Guys, I'm all for ready golf and pace of play. What I'm talking about is common courtesy, and regard for others in your group.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Ah, so others' poor behavior is somehow my fault. And while I'm hitting my second shot on a hole, another player should be able to go to their third, or fourth or whatever -- in my line.

Guys, I'm all for ready golf and pace of play. What I'm talking about is common courtesy, and regard for others in your group.
And, as has already been stated several times, if I'm in your line, or anywhere near it I'll stay behind. The disagreement appears to be that you want everyone to stay behind you, no matter how far off your line they are.
If I'm 20 yards ahead and 20 yards right or left of you, I'm going to go to my ball unless asked not to. I'm happy to stay behind if that's your preference. I do think however that it's an issue on your part that you need this amount of " lack of distraction" for want of a better phrase.

I think it's easy to mix safety, consideration and etiquette issues.
As it's clearly a big issue for you I'm sure you have seen the changes to the recommended practices in this regard over the last 2 editions of the rules, and etiquette. Where once the recommendation was to stay behind all players at all times we are now focused on consideration for both safety and the player ie you are expected to be well clear of a players shot (and let's face it only an idiot wouldn't be) and stationary and paying attention when they are making their stroke. Good golfers will are rounds be extremely aware of specific eyeliner issues (but these are associated with players behind anyway, so clearly not an issue here) Any issues are usually easily discussed but the principle that all players should be at, or behind, you when you are playing is well buried as an etiquette issue (in the same way as single players having no standing on a course and that you only need to consider letting the following group through if you have a clear hole in front of you...)

Thread starter #15
The disagreement appears to be that you want everyone to stay behind you, no matter how far off your line they are.
If I'm 20 yards ahead and 20 yards right or left of you, I'm going to go to my ball unless asked not to...
Then you're 'not the droid I seek'. As said, I don't expect everyone to be behind me when I hit, and don't mind people marginally ahead out of direct line. I think it's been stated fairly clearly the type of egregious behavior that could perhaps even distract a player of your iron mental constitution.

Who knows, tho, why I should have to 'ask' for common courtesy, or even respect for rule of golf.

Thread starter #16
It's a game.........
Played with friends.
Hopefully, and making new friends, too. I have a rotating group of between 40-60 players, and the ones who can't maintain some basics usually don't get invited back. Beyond all the myriad official rules (and I like a lot of the revisions; they probably could've gone farther), there are many unstated that probably could use more attention.

While I'm not usually needing to look for my ball, I'll help others, not only for pace, but because it's the right thing to do. Playing through slower groups can be a drag, but it seems to have gotten better.

I really wish more people would hit from the appropriate matching tee, since it helps pace, but also improves level of play and enjoyment. Not only for players who could step up a tee, but actually also for some longer hitters who should be farther back since they're hitting landing areas unsuited for their driving length. (And, we're now looking for *their* balls, too.)

Maybe you folks have others. It seems like a fair discussion on how we can score well, enjoy the game, and *keep* those friends...

Last edited:

Have you heard of ready golf ?the honour should only be relevant in match play And currently the recommendation also is for players to all go to their own ball provided no one is in dander

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
One person's poor etiquette is another person's precious behaviour. I wouldn't stand ahead in your eyeline but I would go to my ball if it was ahead of yours and not near you. My pp do the same. It keeps the game ticking along at a nice pace.

If you deem that poor etiquette then I think you are going to have to find more like minded golfers as based on my own experience and the other posts it would suggest you are in the minority. That's fine, each to their own, but perhaps that side of golf is changing and you can either accept it or stay with a specific group of playing partners.

Thread starter #19
Reading comprehension seems to be in short supply for some here. The issue isn't ready golf, or marginal lines, but someone in direct line of play. 'Precious' is such a... precious... attempt at absolving poor behavior. And I highly doubt that it's a 'minority' if you had to contend with the same thing in *your* shot line...