Par 5s, Start and Finish

J55TTC

Head Pro
I was a junior member at Amanzimtoti golf club near Durban in South Africa while growing up. Long par 5 opener fairway slopes left to right all the way up to a 2 tier green. 18th is a copy of Sawgrass’ 18th with a beach/lagoon OB all down the left side... was tough but fond memories

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
So if your 2 ball off yellows takes 8 minutes to play the hole, then the 4 behind them take 12, both your scenarios, guess what the gap will be.... 🤔

Voila 🍻
In an ideal world but how often does that happen. Both hit the green off the yellows, two putt and move on - arguably in less than 8 minutes. The 4 go right (where we have OOB) or left (deep rough and a pond) short right towards a line of trees and say two go straight. Potentially at least one reload, some time looking for the balls "in case" and then some time looking for the ball towards the trees. No guarantee of hitting the green in two, so playing three. All the usual faffing on the green and suddenly it's up towards 15 minutes. Not ideal, but seen it happen (and probably been responsible over the years too). Simply pointing out that different scenarios can have a distinct effect on the initial pace. However with the par 5 second, it does seem to even itself and flow from there

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
The point is that there is an instant 1 hole gap between groups.
Pace of play can't really begin until you've actually started so the actual start times become superfluous as you'll probably be a minute or two "late" because the green hasn't cleared.
Once you're away you have that spacing......and let's face it..I doubt there's many clubs that start with a par 3 like yours that adds 50% to the distance yellow to white....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
The point is that there is an instant 1 hole gap between groups.
Pace of play can't really begin until you've actually started so the actual start times become superfluous as you'll probably be a minute or two "late" because the green hasn't cleared.
Once you're away you have that spacing......and let's face it..I doubt there's many clubs that start with a par 3 like yours that adds 50% to the distance yellow to white....
I agree about the last part. I remember when we had the first meet there and everyone milled about the yellows thinking this doesn't look too shabby until I directed them to the whites. I do think allowing members the choice of which tee they use does add an extra layer to getting people off equally spaced. It does seem to work in practice with the par 5 second