NFL 2020

Thread starter #43

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
It’s so nearly go time.......

Super start to the season with the 2 young guns at QB who signed the big money deals.

Without the full crowd it will be interesting to hear some of the audibles.

Last edited:
Thread starter #44

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
First full Sunday of the season and I’m looking forward to being on the couch for a few hours.

I think Dak is over rated and hope the Cowboys get smashed by the Rams (even though I like any of Seattle’s divisional rivals to get beaten) just because they’re the Cowboys.

hairball_89

Club Champion
17-0 down and come out 27-17 winners?! What's going on in Washington!? Awesome stuff! 8 sacks on Wentz too. Great start to the season. On the road in Arizona next week. Bring it on!

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Watched the Panthers LV games, Jacobs looks the real deal at RB.
Strange 4th down call from the Panthers, but I'll take the win.

Tampa Bay losing unsurprisingly at NO, however TB looked ok with Brady at QB apart from the interceptions - receiver play issues rather than QB errors?

https://www.nfl.com/videos/buccaneers-vs-saints-highlights-week-1
The problem was the receivers not breaking the coverage at the line and the likes of Gronk and Brate at TE looking very poor. There were special teams and defensive misuces at times that added up to 14 points. Brady was nothing more than OK - the first pick was Mike Evans not running the route out, the second one was just a terrible out pass and an easy pick six.

Did I not see Brady run the ball in for a Tampa TD last night?😉. Ok it was from about 2 yards but it was still a surprise.
It was an audible call. They came to the line in 11 personnel with a pass play called but the Saints left a gap in their front alignment with no-one over the center. Brady and his center Ryan Jensen have a set play in that situation as many QBs do where Jensen snaps the ball and just ploughs forward to one side or the other. Brady then shoots the gap behind him. It gains nothing more than a couple of yards but that was enough. A friend of mine, Doug Williams, used to run the same play with the Bucs back in the late 70s/early 80s with Steve Wilson as his center.

Just been on another NFLPA call with former NFL players. Since the last one six months ago, we lost three members of the Tampa chapter. All were well-known former Buc players. That is what really brings home so many of the health issues that the players from the 70s and 80s now suffer and how little the NFL does now to support them medically and financially.

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Just been on another NFLPA call with former NFL players. Since the last one six months ago, we lost three members of the Tampa chapter. All were well-known former Buc players. That is what really brings home so many of the health issues that the players from the 70s and 80s now suffer and how little the NFL does now to support them medically and financially.
Is it not a bit like boxing - you know the risks and you take your chances for the financial rewards? I remember Olympic sprinter guys like Ron Brown/Sam Graddy/Ronaldo Nehemiah giving up a good career in athletics because the NFL was just too lucrative even way back. Sportsmen chase the money. Should NFL be paying/supporting now when they paid a lot back in the day? I doubt awareness of concussion and associated repeat head impact brain damage was as known about as it is now.

The problem with these guys is that the injury issues were not known in those days. I have provided film footage of players being obviously concussed and then going back into games.
The NFL has and will do anything to avoid paying out in these cases - their philosophy is sadly the longer they leave it, the more players will have died and hence the liability is less.
I have no sympathy with players who threw their money away on cars and luxuries etc but when you see the physical and mental impact on other people, then it really hits home.
My former radio show co-host in Tampa is now pretty much mentally gone through dementia caused on by concussions - he is 63 now and his health-care costs are huge annually.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Didn't see that Shark - who has passed away? I know that a couple of the older Fins have gone recently as well. Read a very sad SI (I think) story, where they interviewed the wives of a couple of 70's NFL players - just the parts where they said that they had lost the man they married was sad enough. As you said, they also said the same about the struggle to get the NFL to help.

Great Bucs LB named David Lewis. I had gotten to know him at a reunion of the 79 Bucs a few years ago and did some highlight clips of his career. I had a former Dolphin, Geno Atkins, giving me a hard time the other night for only doing clips for Bucs players and none for him :) All good humoured though.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Great Bucs LB named David Lewis. I had gotten to know him at a reunion of the 79 Bucs a few years ago and did some highlight clips of his career. I had a former Dolphin, Geno Atkins, giving me a hard time the other night for only doing clips for Bucs players and none for him :) All good humoured though.
Not that old either
I wager as a former safety, Gene was known for trash talking