New national lockdown from this Wed?

Thread starter #1
Lets hope the golf courses can stay open but not looking good

Times: He is expected to hold a press conference on Monday to announce the new measures, under which everything could be closed except essential shops and “educational settings”, including nurseries, schools and universities. The new restrictions could be introduced on Wednesday and remain in place until December 1.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
So they were banging on about this Tier system that no one understands, and after like two weeks that's in the bin and it's national lockdown? Surely not.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
So they were banging on about this Tier system that no one understands, and after like two weeks that's in the bin and it's national lockdown? Surely not.
Just heard on a comedy show ( the last leg) Ironically.
This is tier 4 total lockdown. With very few exceptions.

Jigger

Club Champion
What's the point of calling it tier 4 if it's for everyone? If everyone's in the same tier then there are no tiers.
Blame the press for constantly asking to see plans, which means the government have to spend time making this rubbish up when the reality is that every government is struggling to get to grips with it and are making decisions as they go whilst trying not to cripple their economies.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Bring it on

Leave classrooms opens..kids future top trumps the local pub and playing golf no matter how much I love my golf

Rumours of it possible lasting until Xmas / into next year

Whatever it takes

Put the politics to one side (not just for the forum but for the country)

Support everyone who needs support financial, mental health or whatever needed.

This was always going to be extra hard this winter.

Best of Luck to everyone

Zig

Blame the press for constantly asking to see plans, which means the government have to spend time making this rubbish up when the reality is that every government is struggling to get to grips with it and are making decisions as they go whilst trying not to cripple their economies.
Not sure it's the press; they're being deliberately briefed by ministers to float the ideas in the first place. It's not coincidence that Gove, Johnson for example have extremely strong links with the Barclays, Murdoch, and paid a lot to write for their publications.

There are some great examples of countries who have managed covid really well, and hence their economies are operating pretty much as normal: Tiawan, Korea, Canada and NZ - the latter probably the best highlighted in the media.

Just gutted that at the start of the year people (our leaders/any colours) couldn't out their political differences to one side and get together to act in the national interest - we're all in it together, for better or worse!

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
Eh? My child goes to school for education... not to provide me with childcare.
During the first lockdown my other half was running all her classes via zoom. Now she has to go into an environment where kids ignore social distance rules and everyone is put at risk so that parents are able to go to work.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
The only reason for keeping schools open is to provide free child minding. Teachers and their families are being put at unnecessary risk.
Secondary maybe but primary no. It provides important social lessons and is one of the most important parts

It's why 12 and under they will look to learn from home and keep the under 12s in school

The side impact is childcare yes but it's not the main reason.

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
Secondary maybe but primary no. It provides important social lessons and is one of the most important parts

It's why 12 and under they will look to learn from home and keep the under 12s in school

The side impact is childcare yes but it's not the main reason.
So which is more important, young kids seeing their friends or the lives of teachers and their families?

Ethan

Money List Winner
The only reason for keeping schools open is to provide free child minding. Teachers and their families are being put at unnecessary risk.
I think education has a larger symbolic role. If the situation is not safe enough for schools and unis to stay open and operating, after a fashion, it can't be safe for shops, bars, restaurants and many workplaces either. The education sector is a huge barometer for much of the rest of society, hence the 'keep it open at almost all costs' policy. And the kids being out of school knackers any return to work plans.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
During the first lockdown my other half was running all her classes via zoom. Now she has to go into an environment where kids ignore social distance rules and everyone is put at risk so that parents are able to go to work.
How many of those pupils were fully engaging with their learning? From my experience engagement was variable for a number of reasons.

Ethan

Money List Winner
My eldest is at Secondary School, and the online learning he received, mostly via Google Classroom rather than video, was actually pretty good and we were reasonably impressed. The school followed up with personal messages and emails to us, and we are pretty happy he didn't miss out too much.

They younger son, then in primary year 5, now in 6, had a much more laissez faire approach from his school and it was rather poor.