Minneapolis right now.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
We only have to read social media and indeed some of the mainstream papers to see that racism , bigotry etc is always alive and bubbling away

An unarmed black American who paid for something with a forged note - ( something that has happened to many people all over the world ) is then killed by a policeman whilst other stand by and watch , it’s no doubt that if the man was white then the whole incident would never had occurred

Now instead pointing fingers directly where the blame should be with have “white” men and women looking at other areas to try and shift the blame or look at some sort of justification for it - but to ease their conscience there is always the “the police will be punished” etc

We have seen - his previous record dragged up , things that happened over a decade ago and he was released from prison after paying for his crimes 6 years ago and since then had no issue at all , but more and more people are going into that as if him losing his life doesn’t matter because in the past he committed some crimes ? Would the attitude be the same if it was a white man - of course it wouldn’t

And then you have even on this thread - shouldn’t wear their ethnicity on their sleeve, they should integrate more with us white people and remove barriers - have you not thought for one minute why those barriers are there ? Why they are scared to integrate - maybe it’s because of hundreds of years of persecution from the same people that are telling them to integrate and not be proud of their ethnicity - why they hell would people who have been persecuted all their lives want to mix with others ?

If people really want other ethnic minorities then maybe people should them as equal all the time and not when it suits, maybe instead of looking to point fingers at the victims and what they could do to stop it happening they should look at the perpetrators and also before suggesting what others should do how about living in their shoes for a while and see how for many people they suffer daily racism and persecution all because of the colour of their skin or because of their sex or their sexuality

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
Jeez - Because the question was asked and I suggested a reason. Do you have a better one?
Actually yes I do.

The question was WHY people were protesting in this country not WHO was protesting.

The answer, therefore, is that those protesting in the UK were expressing sympathy and support for the cause of Black Lives Matter.

Certainly got damn all to do with Brexit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
The terminology may be different but the distinctions are still there and obvious.

Immigrant communities have been formed in areas of our major conurbations with shops social facilities and places of worship.

And certainly some do use the term Asian/British.

I don't know if it is a good thing for these communities to be so formed as they may inhibit integration and acceptance but it is understandable.
I totally accept that people have grouped together in terms of where they live in the UK, that is clear to see in many areas. Brits going to Spain often do the same, Hobbit excepted :D

It was the terminology that was raised in this thread that was of interest. I have not heard the use of Asian/British before, that is a new one to me.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
We only have to read social media and indeed some of the mainstream papers to see that racism , bigotry etc is always alive and bubbling away

An unarmed black American who paid for something with a forged note - ( something that has happened to many people all over the world ) is then killed by a policeman whilst other stand by and watch , it’s no doubt that if the man was white then the whole incident would never had occurred

Now instead pointing fingers directly where the blame should be with have “white” men and women looking at other areas to try and shift the blame or look at some sort of justification for it - but to ease their conscience there is always the “the police will be punished” etc

We have seen - his previous record dragged up , things that happened over a decade ago and he was released from prison after paying for his crimes 6 years ago and since then had no issue at all , but more and more people are going into that as if him losing his life doesn’t matter because in the past he committed some crimes ? Would the attitude be the same if it was a white man - of course it wouldn’t

And then you have even on this thread - shouldn’t wear their ethnicity on their sleeve, they should integrate more with us white people and remove barriers - have you not thought for one minute why those barriers are there ? Why they are scared to integrate - maybe it’s because of hundreds of years of persecution from the same people that are telling them to integrate and not be proud of their ethnicity - why they hell would people who have been persecuted all their lives want to mix with others ?

If people really want other ethnic minorities then maybe people should them as equal all the time and not when it suits, maybe instead of looking to point fingers at the victims and what they could do to stop it happening they should look at the perpetrators and also before suggesting what others should do how about living in their shoes for a while and see how for many people they suffer daily racism and persecution all because of the colour of their skin or because of their sex or their sexuality
Great post.

It's been a crazy ride reading this thread. I am on 2 forums, with threads on the same subject going crazy. One is being discussed with intelligence, empathy, understanding, knowledge and users relaying actual life experiences where racism/sexism/sexuality'ism (may have made that one up) has had them feel persecuted out of nowhere. It's been a great thread to read - really opening my privileged white male eyes to issues others face, and that I don't see.

Then there is this thread - where some feel that as he was a criminal many years ago, then he should have a target. That's not how the world should work at all. full stop. end of story.

Thread starter #105

Kellfire

Tour Winner
Not just any criminal, someone who premeditated and targeted single women and robbed them & violently threatened them with a gun.

But as I clearly stated, should anyone lose their life when being arrested, or whilst in custody, no, and that crime should be dealt with by the law, as its being done.

But because I don’t see him as a rehabilitated individual, because of his past heinous crime/s, and irrelevant of his skin colour, your saying I’m EDL, seriously, that accusation is far worse imo than that of my opinion of him based on facts.
*starts post by doubling down on murder victim being an unworthy life*

*explains why ending of unworthy life should be dealt with*

*explains further why it’s worse to suggest he holds similar views to a right wing organisation than it is for him to display right wing views*

Logical disconnect.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Great post.

It's been a crazy ride reading this thread. I am on 2 forums, with threads on the same subject going crazy. One is being discussed with intelligence, empathy, understanding, knowledge and users relaying actual life experiences where racism/sexism/sexuality'ism (may have made that one up) has had them feel persecuted out of nowhere. It's been a great thread to read - really opening my privileged white male eyes to issues others face, and that I don't see.

Then there is this thread - where some feel that as he was a criminal many years ago, then he should have a target. That's not how the world should work at all. full stop. end of story.
Hey, at least no one has piped up on here yet that white middle class middle aged to elderly males are one of the most discriminated against groups nowadays. I mean I have seen that posted on this forum a few times, but it seems we are making progress. So every cloud and all that....

I totally accept that people have grouped together in terms of where they live in the UK, that is clear to see in many areas. Brits going to Spain often do the same, Hobbit excepted :D

It was the terminology that was raised in this thread that was of interest. I have not heard the use of Asian/British before, that is a new one to me.
Our HR system has a long list of choices in our "Ethnicity" box:

Any Other, Arab, Asian - Any other Asian background, Asian - Bangladeshi, Asian – Chinese, Asian - Indian, Asian - Pakistani, Black - African, Black - Any other Black/African/Caribbean background, Black - Caribbean, Mixed - Any other Mixed/multiple ethnic background, Mixed - White and Asian, Mixed - White and Black African, Mixed - White and Black Caribbean, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, Not stated, Prefer Not to Say, White - Any other White background, White - English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish/British, White - Gypsy or Irish Traveller, White - Irish.

It is supplied by an American company though which might explain the Hawaii one. It does seem an odd list and probably mostly tailored to UK. I guess in the states they would also have Mexican and other South American countries too.

I presume that it is used to check any bias that might be evident in roles/pay etc., same as for gender (just the 2 here) and sexuality (several options) though it is all optional.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
I had discussion on this with a mate yesterday on the course. He was outraged. Me? I do try and see both sides, even without knowing the fully details. What had actually happened to cause the arrest? I'm sure the cop had heard the "I can't breathe" thing a million times. So he gets off and the man runs away or stabs him or shoots him. It's a nasty dangerous job being a cop in any country, but in the USA. nutz to that. Sure things went very very wrong, and I feel for both sides, but full on riots? Really? And morons in this country demonstrating in solidarity? Morons? Just what the hell has this got too do with them?
All this is reinforcing a book I'm reading (only just started it) I've a feeling I don't really need to continue with it. It's a scary book, if you are a certain type of person. Just be glad you'll be long gone (hopefully) before they take control.

Thread starter #109

Kellfire

Tour Winner
I had discussion on this with a mate yesterday on the course. He was outraged. Me? I do try and see both sides, even without knowing the fully details. What had actually happened to cause the arrest? I'm sure the cop had heard the "I can't breathe" thing a million times. So he gets off and the man runs away or stabs him or shoots him. It's a nasty dangerous job being a cop in any country, but in the USA. nutz to that. Sure things went very very wrong, and I feel for both sides, but full on riots? Really? And morons in this country demonstrating in solidarity? Morons? Just what the hell has this got too do with them?
All this is reinforcing a book I'm reading (only just started it) I've a feeling I don't really need to continue with it. It's a scary book, if you are a certain type of person. Just be glad you'll be long gone (hopefully) before they take control.
Is the book Mein Kampf, by any chance?

Are you really suggesting a policeman should keep a man pinned down by his neck just on the off chance he runs away and shoots him?

What kind of insane nonsense are you talking?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
9 minutes he had a knee on the guys neck, 9 minutes. At the same time two other officers were knelt on him, back and legs. I am not aware they made attempts to cuff him during this, the polic officer just kept the knee on his neck. The man does not seem to be making attempts to wriggle away during this, he just lies there.

Morons? @MetalMickie has the answer to why they were protesting and I don't think he considers them morons.

The answer, therefore, is that those protesting in the UK were expressing sympathy and support for the cause of Black Lives Matter.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Our HR system has a long list of choices in our "Ethnicity" box:

Any Other, Arab, Asian - Any other Asian background, Asian - Bangladeshi, Asian – Chinese, Asian - Indian, Asian - Pakistani, Black - African, Black - Any other Black/African/Caribbean background, Black - Caribbean, Mixed - Any other Mixed/multiple ethnic background, Mixed - White and Asian, Mixed - White and Black African, Mixed - White and Black Caribbean, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, Not stated, Prefer Not to Say, White - Any other White background, White - English/Welsh/Scottish/Northern Irish/British, White - Gypsy or Irish Traveller, White - Irish.

It is supplied by an American company though which might explain the Hawaii one. It does seem an odd list and probably mostly tailored to UK. I guess in the states they would also have Mexican and other South American countries too.

I presume that it is used to check any bias that might be evident in roles/pay etc., same as for gender (just the 2 here) and sexuality (several options) though it is all optional.
I understand the box system at work, it is needed in larger companies in particular to ensure there is not hidden racism, sexism at work. I suppose the aspect I was looking, and some others, was how people refer to themselves as something other than just from the country you are born and raised in, a double barrel naming in effect.

I'm impressed by the Hawaiian option, very funky

JamesR

Tour Winner
Do people really think the protests are only about George Floyd being murdered?

They are about the hundreds of black men and women murdered by police for generations.

The inequality of life for a group originally brought into the country as slaves. Who now live on the wrong side of the tracks with the wrong colour skin, who’s life opportunities and chances are automatically reduced purely because of those facts.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
You been hacked again?

And trying to see both sides without knowing the 'fully details' is a great tactic. As I feel context, details and facts are way over rated when you can use wild supposition and preconceived ideas ideas.

And part of me wants to know who 'they' is who will take control. But then again another part of me kind of doesn't.

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
Do people really think the protests are only about George Floyd being murdered?

They are about the hundreds of black men and women murdered by police for generations.

The inequality of life for a group originally brought into the country as slaves. Who now live on the wrong side of the tracks with the wrong colour skin, who’s life opportunities and chances are automatically reduced purely because of those facts.
And who are being disproportionately impacted by Covid and the economic downturn and have a president who at the very least, seems slow to criticize white supremist views. Surprised its taken this long to be honest.

JamesR

Tour Winner
They've already taken control: Trump, Johnson, Putin, Bolsonaro etc - very frightening

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner

then you have even on this thread - shouldn’t wear their ethnicity on their sleeve, they should integrate more with us white people and remove barriers - have you not thought for one minute why those barriers are there ? Why they are scared to integrate - maybe it’s because of hundreds of years of persecution from the same people that are telling them to integrate and not be proud of their ethnicity - why they hell would people who have been persecuted all their lives want to mix with others ?

I didnt want to post on this anymore as I thought what I said would be twisted out of context by you, I was not wrong.
I never suggested Black people had to integrate more with us white people and remove barriers, you have made that accusation through your own blind predujice to turn my words into something you want them to be. I suggested we could all get along better if we stopped labeling ourselves, 'all of us' not just black people. Take a look at yourself.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
So people who demonstrate against Racist and Persecution are now labelled “morons” ?!

Racism and Persecution is not just limited to the US - it’s very much alive in the UK as well and maybe this is now the time to highlight around the world to try and get people to change their attitudes

And please do enlighten us and what this book is ?

Hacker Khan

Money List Winner
So people who demonstrate against Racist and Persecution are now labelled “morons” ?!

Racism and Persecution is not just limited to the US - it’s very much alive in the UK as well and maybe this is now the time to highlight around the world to try and get people to change their attitudes

And please do enlighten us and what this book is ?
I think it's this and he's frightened once the Mr. Men come to power we will be tickled to death. Or we won't be able to stop sneezing.

tickle.jpg