Minneapolis right now.

JamesR

Tour Winner
Well I read an interesting point of view earlier, which questioned whether his life mattered, because he had been a criminal? And lets be honest we rarely hear about white folk being murdered, by the police, because they were old lags...it also seemed to question whether all lives did indeed matter?

Fish

Major Champion
Well I read an interesting point of view earlier, which questioned whether his life mattered, because he had been a criminal? And lets be honest we rarely hear about white folk being murdered, by the police, because they were old lags...it also seemed to question whether all lives did indeed matter?
Not just any criminal, someone who premeditated and targeted single women and robbed them & violently threatened them with a gun.

But as I clearly stated, should anyone lose their life when being arrested, or whilst in custody, no, and that crime should be dealt with by the law, as its being done.

But because I don’t see him as a rehabilitated individual, because of his past heinous crime/s, and irrelevant of his skin colour, your saying I’m EDL, seriously, that accusation is far worse imo than that of my opinion of him based on facts.

JamesR

Tour Winner
Not just any criminal, someone who premeditated and targeted single women and robbed them & violently threatened them with a gun.

But as I clearly stated, should anyone lose their life when being arrested, or whilst in custody, no, and that crime should be dealt with by the law, as its being done.

But because I don’t see him as a rehabilitated individual, because of his past heinous crime/s, and irrelevant of his skin colour, your saying I’m EDL, seriously, that accusation is far worse imo than that of my opinion of him based on facts.
Where have I said you were EDL?
I simply suggested that that was their point of view

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
The people of the USA have identified as Italian American, Irish American, Polish American etc; for 150 years now as a result of the various waves of immigration over that time.
The ultimate irony is that all of those groups chose to be there.

The ancestors of the African Americans were not that fortunate and yet still, despite supposed emancipation in 1865, they still find themselves discriminated. They continue to represent a scapegoat for so many others.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
The more I read that the more I struggle with it

Should people forget their history and just become “American “ ? Would that have saved this man or was it his skin colour the reason why the policeman treated him the way he did.

Why should it be a “Division “ - people should be able to get along with each other and keep their history and be proud of it. But then it always seems the be the “white true blood american/brit” who always seems to look down at Ethnicity as if it’s a bad thing when i believe it’s part of the beauty of the human race.
I didnt mean any of the things you are suggesting. My point was that to improve the way we live together is to break down the barriers and divisions wherever they exist and it would help if they all felt united and equal first. You are just looking for pulling out the race card as normal and it's unnecessary.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
The people of the USA have identified as Italian American, Irish American, Polish American etc; for 150 years now as a result of the various waves of immigration over that time.
The ultimate irony is that all of those groups chose to be there.

The ancestors of the African Americans were not that fortunate and yet still, despite supposed emancipation in 1865, they still find themselves discriminated. They continue to represent a scapegoat for so many others.
Dont you think it's time people stopped labeling themselves and focused on living together in peace. I dont give a toss what anyones ethnicity, history or religion is where I live and it seems to me that works fine for people. Theres no problem with people going to their churches Polish clubs or what ever but it's best IMO not to wear it on your sleeve.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Why is it best not to wear your ethnicity "on your sleeve"?
I've explained that already. In my opinion (and I guess I am allowed one) people live together peacefully where they integrate and dont live in ethnic communities. Follow your religion, meet with people who have similar ethnicity but dont let that create a barrier to an integrated community where the colour of your skin, your religious beliefs, your forefathers origins become your main identifying characteristic. A mixed community is in my experience a better way for society.

There seem to be some who want to turn this around into something it's not meant to be so best if I leave it there.

azazel

Assistant Pro
I've explained that already. In my opinion (and I guess I am allowed one) people live together peacefully where they integrate and dont live in ethnic communities. Follow your religion, meet with people who have similar ethnicity but dont let that create a barrier to an integrated community where the colour of your skin, your religious beliefs, your forefathers origins become your main identifying characteristic. A mixed community is in my experience a better way for society.

There seem to be some who want to turn this around into something it's not meant to be so best if I leave it there.
I was genuinely curious and didn't spot the reason in your other posts, apologies for that.

I think, though, that the problem with hiding or being worried about showing where/what/who you've come from or what you believe to help integration doesn't lie with the perceived minority, it's absolutely with people who can't accept others being different to them.

Ye Olde Boomer

I need a new country, so whoever can wangle me an invitation, I'd sure appreciate it.

They're burning this crudhole of a country down to the the ground, and from my perspective, it truly needs burning down.
I wish that I were young enough to join the kids with the firebombs.
I guess that I had my turn in the 1960s.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanFST

Head Pro
I need a new country, so whoever can wangle me an invitation, I'd sure appreciate it.

They're burning this shithole of a country down to the the ground, and from my perspective, it truly needs burning down.
I wish that I were young enough to join the kids with the firebombs.
I guess that I had my turn in the 1960s.
You'll have to pay 45% tax, then you'll swiftly head back ;)

That is a new low even by your perverse standards.

Really? Are you not ashamed, dragging Brexit into this issue.

I despair!
The question asked was why there were protesters in the UK. I suggested that they were probably mainly very anti Trump. And I suggested that if their politics was looked into further they would probably largely be made up of Left leaning Remain voters making a point about Trump and pointing out the risk of UK depending in some part on UK making a trade deal with him. I have no idea if any of the above is true, but the question was asked and I simply suggested a reason as I don’t know either.

Last edited:

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
You asked why there were protesters in the UK. I suggested that they were probably mainly very anti Trump. And I suggested that if their politics was looked into further they would probably largely be made up of Left leaning Remain voters making a point about Trump and pointing out the risk of UK depending in some part on UK making a trade deal with him. I have no idea if any of the above is true, but you asked and I simply suggested a reason as I don’t know either.
So if you don't know their position on Brexit why even bring it into a discussion on a totally unrelated topic.

After all many on the Left, including Jeremy Corbyn, were Leavers.

Do you find it necessary to pigeonhole everyone?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Does any other country have its citizens break themselves down into categories, as mentioned, as much as in America? There are plenty that will have a single distinct group, Turkish Kurds is an example, but I can't think of anywhere else that has so many. Interested to hear other examples if people can think of anywhere.

I'm with some of the others on this, it can not be healthy to have such distintctions.

Does any other country have its citizens break themselves down into categories, as mentioned, as much as in America? There are plenty that will have a single distinct group, Turkish Kurds is an example, but I can't think of anywhere else that has so many. Interested to hear other examples if people can think of anywhere.

I'm with some of the others on this, it can not be healthy to have such distintctions.
UK perhaps?

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
Racism is the unfortunate extension of our apparent need to still belong to easily identifiable groups, some might call it tribalism.

Labels have to be attached no matter what the issue.

Left or Right, Gay or Straight, Leave or Remain, on here there's Scottish or English, Tory or Labour and, of course Liverpool or whoever.

It makes it easy for people to judge those that they don't know and probably never will meet if they can categorise them to fit a preconceived profile.

Much of the time this will be relatively harmless but the real problem arises when those judgements lead to prejudice and thus oppression.

Of all the these categories race is often the easiest for lazy assumptions to be made due to something as unimportant as skin colour.

Too many of us are too quick to just see someone and, consciously or otherwise, form an opinion of them purely on colour.

Strangely if the person being assessed is the same colour as the one making the assessment only then are they likely to try to discover more.

With this inbuilt into society it's sadly going to be many years before we can even hope to eradicate prejudice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
In what context? I have never heard someone called a British Pole, British Indian, British Caribbean, British Pakistani (feel free to reverse the order). We do hear description via religion, British Muslim for example has crept into the language, but I have not heard an origin term added.

I have not heard this type of phrasing across European countries either although they may be used, hence my question.

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
In what context? I have never heard someone called a British Pole, British Indian, British Caribbean, British Pakistani (feel free to reverse the order). We do hear description via religion, British Muslim for example has crept into the language, but I have not heard an origin term added.

I have not heard this type of phrasing across European countries either although they may be used, hence my question.
The terminology may be different but the distinctions are still there and obvious.

Immigrant communities have been formed in areas of our major conurbations with shops social facilities and places of worship.

And certainly some do use the term Asian/British.

I don't know if it is a good thing for these communities to be so formed as they may inhibit integration and acceptance but it is understandable.

So if you don't know their position on Brexit why even bring it into a discussion on a totally unrelated topic.

After all many on the Left, including Jeremy Corbyn, were Leavers.

Do you find it necessary to pigeonhole everyone?
Jeez - Because the question was asked and I suggested a reason. Do you have a better one? I suggest most of those demonstrating will detest Trump and I suggest that those who detest Trump will not be that keen on the idea that we cosy up to him to get a great trade deal with the US and may well have expressed such views if asked. Hopefully the US electorate will have cast him aside when it comes to it.

Last edited: