Is your home at risk?

Thread starter #1

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Do you live anywhere where your house and even your life could be in danger?
The news is full of disasters especially flooding atm.
Are you at risk from flooding,and could you actually lose everything.
Landslides,fires etc
Recently a whole town could have been wiped out when the reservoir nearly collapsed.
I’ve always said I would never live near water or hills,however a months rain in an hour sometimes makes it impossible to guarantee safety.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
I’m only 500yds from the coast, but if there is a risk it will be from the old mines shafts collapsing, survey done prior to moving in showed none directly below our house, but the whole area has a “risk” attached to it.

IainP

Tour Rookie
Live near two rivers that join. Have seen the rivers go over in two winters, they are close now, am often watching the env agency river levels. Our property has never actually flooded but come close. Sandbags may be collected from village hall and have seen the west - east road closed a couple of times at both ends within half a mile. The worst event was before we moved in 2007 and was in July so a real freak one. I found it fascinating seeing the smaller river re-direct it's path across fields behind us. Part of them now have pricey houses on, I watched them raise the site to try to cater which hopefully would act as a further buffer but you never know with water.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
I live 50 yards from a largish burn.
Before we bought the house I asked a few villagers if that area had ever flooded.
I was told never as any flood water runs in the opposite direction on the other side of the burn.
To flood our house the water would need to rise over 15 feet so feel quite safe.
In 21 years of living there the burn has only flooded once in the opposite direction and the water did not enter any of the houses on the other side.
The old part of the village, about 30 houses, runs parallel with the burn so I would imagine they might be concerned.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Staff member
our house is only a couple of hundred yards from the river Ness, we havn't flodded in 170 years, but there is a chance

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Touch wood there are no rivers near us and so it would taker unprecedented rain and the sewers not coping to have any issues and not sure even then we'd be at risk. Feel so sad for those that are affected, especially anyone that has been flooded before

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
I remember shortly after moving in to my house we were walking along a nearby road when I spotted all the slots in the doorways to take anti flood boards and then noticed the name of the road is Water Street. Imagine my relief when I worked out we were several foot above them. Mind you the road has only flooded once in the 30 years I have lived here and we have had one year when to get out of the village needed a longish detour due to flooding in the lanes and many a year the road between us and the next village floods.

Somerset Levels is not far down the road and all the villages just a few miles away were devastated in a similar way to current Northern villages just a few years ago.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
We are in imminent danger next May.

Parts of Manchester and Stockport are on the winding path of the Mersey, and when you add the Evertonian's tears in (if we win the league), means I'm building an Ark in my back garden as we speak.;)
You should be more worried about the tidal wave that’ll hopefully swamp Anfield when the rest of the Country is jumping up and down if you don’t win it.;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Were less than half a mile from the Quay and the regular flood warnings from there reach to a few hundred yards from our house, that said were raised well above that level so theoretically arent at serious risk.

As for not living near water, Im the complete opposite now tbh, wouldnt want to live somewhere that isnt close to the water!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Live near two rivers that join. Have seen the rivers go over in two winters, they are close now, am often watching the env agency river levels. Our property has never actually flooded but come close. Sandbags may be collected from village hall and have seen the west - east road closed a couple of times at both ends within half a mile. The worst event was before we moved in 2007 and was in July so a real freak one. I found it fascinating seeing the smaller river re-direct it's path across fields behind us. Part of them now have pricey houses on, I watched them raise the site to try to cater which hopefully would act as a further buffer but you never know with water.
The town I live in flooded 10yrs ago. Sandbags are pretty useless and since the flood I have never seen anyone use them here. What the houses at risk do have is devices to block the air bricks and proper sealed panels on the door frames. When the warnings come they drop a panel into some fixings either side of the door frame to create a watertight seal. If you have genuine worries then look them to fit, forget sandbags.

The biggest problem is water coming up through the sewage system or floorboards. Diddly squat you can do about that.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
The town I live in flooded 10yrs ago. Sandbags are pretty useless and since the flood I have never seen anyone use them here. What the houses at risk do have is devices to block the air bricks and proper sealed panels on the door frames. When the warnings come they drop a panel into some fixings either side of the door frame to create a watertight seal. If you have genuine worries then look them to fit, forget sandbags.

The biggest problem is water coming up through the sewage system or floorboards. Diddly squat you can do about that.
Are you still staying at Kings Landing :unsure::D

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Although the Vale of Aylesbury is pretty flat it's also quite a large area
If we're flooded I'd expect half of the country to be submerged too...add into that- we live at the top of a gentle slope of the water just runs on by..