I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Last day of two balls for 18 holes. Played with a nice guy from our Saturday roll up. Wind was stronger than I expected and I was utter crap, Couldn't do a thing off the tee and ball striking all round totally off. Scrambled brilliantly and putted well for a semblance of respectability. Bunker play very good too. Had a lesson on Wednesday and worked on it Friday for 60 balls but the changes, minor though they seemed at the time aren't bedding in. I can see a video of the swing going to the teaching pro for an update as I'm clearly missing a point somewhere or not actioning it correctly

saving_par

Challenge Tour Pro
Last day of two balls for 18 holes. Played with a nice guy from our Saturday roll up. Wind was stronger than I expected and I was utter crap, Couldn't do a thing off the tee and ball striking all round totally off. Scrambled brilliantly and putted well for a semblance of respectability. Bunker play very good too. Had a lesson on Wednesday and worked on it Friday for 60 balls but the changes, minor though they seemed at the time aren't bedding in. I can see a video of the swing going to the teaching pro for an update as I'm clearly missing a point somewhere or not actioning it correctly
You can't expect some 'changes' to bed in after 60 balls 2 days ago can you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
You can't expect some 'changes' to bed in after 60 balls 2 days ago can you?
No but would have hoped after hitting it so well during the lesson and getting some good ones away on Friday that there would have been a modicum of competency. Not the end of the world as great company great weather and chipped pitched and got out of bunkers well so some good points

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Played a painfully slow round at allerton with stu. Can’t wait till all the newbies get fed up of being crap an give up (#dontgrowthegame). Roll on the comps, I’m obviously not a social golf fan.

Started out fade slicing irons which was a shock, got it back together a bit back 9.

Note, even after 1 round, Cleveland make far superior wedges to Wilson Staff

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Second post-lockdown round today, with the same mate as last week. We were both a heck of a lot worse than last week. Well, a fair bit worse but also had all the bad luck as well so the score was a lot worse. 27 points for me, and it took a rare par at the 18th when I hit a 35 yard pitch to tap-in distance which was a nice way to end at least.

Driving was similar to last week, started really good but then started to slice a couple later on. I brought my GAPR this time, three two shots with it, duffed the first two and hit a big draw the third time, which is actually what I bought it for, so mixed bag again. Bought the GAPR before lockdown but still not been really able to judge if it's staying in or not. Stay of execution.

Hit a couple of great putts. Experimented with using the hybrid to chip a couple of times when I was up against the collar where the grass gets longer - put to two feet both times so that was successful. Hit one god-awful shank on a par 3 with my 50° as well. I like to entertain.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Staff member
Well after 2 months in a net hitting balls with irons, felt i was hitting it well, strike was good(used tape on the face) and thought i might have gained a bit of distance....

first game back at Nairn... hit it like i'd touched a club for the first time ever thst day, esp with woods, driver was just a weal slice and iron s not much better, scored OK and had a least 10 pars, but the rest were doubles at best. 2nd game, driving back, but still a bit weak. The main problem is with the 3 wood, my most consistant club in the back, which was always a draw carrying 215/20, every shot with this now is a slice which is going 150...

Played the Kings yesterday with Go Go, who is very competative, off the back tee's 6600, prep for a humping, played OK, 74 gross which is 4 over but a vast improv... and beat the bugger.

lesson learned, don't tinker with your swing unsupervised:cry:

DRW

Tour Rookie
Definitely a what if weekend, what if I played better, I may have scored well:whistle:

Beau, hit the ball well, ball going for mmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss 10 GIR, 2 lost balls, 3 putted six of the GIR. Scored whatever:whistle:

Mile, Yesterday with son, ball going for milllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssss, beat him for the 3rd time on the trot 2&1, hit the par 5 4th in 2, missed eagle putt :(, hit the par 4 18th off the tee, missed eagle putt:(:( didn't get one par on the back nine. Front nine solid. 3 birdies, scored okay;)

Second post-lockdown round today, with the same mate as last week. We were both a heck of a lot worse than last week. Well, a fair bit worse but also had all the bad luck as well so the score was a lot worse. 27 points for me, and it took a rare par at the 18th when I hit a 35 yard pitch to tap-in distance which was a nice way to end at least.

Driving was similar to last week, started really good but then started to slice a couple later on. I brought my GAPR this time, three two shots with it, duffed the first two and hit a big draw the third time, which is actually what I bought it for, so mixed bag again. Bought the GAPR before lockdown but still not been really able to judge if it's staying in or not. Stay of execution.

Hit a couple of great putts. Experimented with using the hybrid to chip a couple of times when I was up against the collar where the grass gets longer - put to two feet both times so that was successful. Hit one god-awful shank on a par 3 with my 50° as well. I like to entertain.
Finally getting my GAPR on the fairways. We were on mats or first cut when the lockdown kicked in. Only used it once on each of the 2 rounds I played over the weekend. I’m sure it will see more action when we move back to white tees. Courses are playing shorter just now, hybrids and rescues not required as much.

larmen

Head Pro
Just played an 18 by myself and for the 1st time ever I broke 120. (Yellow tees)

I also broke 100 while I was at it, and with some control of the speed of putting 90 would have been possible
You can’t par a par 3 if you 3 put!
But I nearly hit both par 5 in regulation (inches right or short).

My golf is so much depending on a decent lie and I didn’t get those in winter.

Another tee time tomorrow.

Thread starter #5,412

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Dragged my ass around Ellesborough this afternoon, playing like I'd barely picked up a club before until the 15th when I suddenly woke up and parred in, virtually doubling my points tally ......it really is a stupid game sometimes......

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Played with a mate at Waterstock, not the most challenging course but was in decent nick. Came in with 37 points with a few blobs, scored well on a few holes including a never before achieved 4 pointer on a par 5.

The pro shop was selling cans of cold beer and we were able to relax afterwards almost like the olden days!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Finally getting my GAPR on the fairways. We were on mats or first cut when the lockdown kicked in. Only used it once on each of the 2 rounds I played over the weekend. I’m sure it will see more action when we move back to white tees. Courses are playing shorter just now, hybrids and rescues not required as much.
I'm not sure it's for me personally. I just don't seem to hit it well at all so far.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Joined up with 3 mates and played BB matchplay , birdied 2, 3 , 4 and 7 to be 3 up and 4 up with 7 to play, great fight back and they holed a outt on the last to half the match . Dropped a shot on the last for a 3 under par .

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Had a great round today, matching my best previous score of 85.

Was only three over gross stood on the 9th tee including a three putt from 20ft on the 6th. Parred 10, and then three putted both 11 and 12 from just 10ft in each case. Then my first ever back to back birdies on 14 and 15, the first with a 20ft putt and the second with a tee shot to 10 inches from the cup. Was looking good to set a new low score for me, but loose play on 16 resulted in a 7, parred 17 and took an 8 on our par five 18th after pulling my drive an losing the ball. Felt a low score was coming and there is definitely scope for even better.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Dragged my ass around Ellesborough this afternoon, playing like I'd barely picked up a club before until the 15th when I suddenly woke up and parred in, virtually doubling my points tally ......it really is a stupid game sometimes......
It is the way some of us play it!

I was atrocious yesterday and had I not scrambled and putted so well I doubt I'd have made it to 25 points. A couple of good holes on the back nine but so bad overall. I've played a few rounds like yourself so it can't be lockdown rust

Papas1982

Tour Winner
First of 4 days of Hosting today. Got to meet @gopher99 (Jon) having had to miss a winter meet.

He got off to a flyer with 5 straight pars. Not playing with single figure players too often it felt like I was having a stinker. Back 9 started with a kick in birdie for me. I relinquished that on the 2nd :mad: but then played two of my best bunker shots ever to record 2 consecutive sandy pars, which i'm confident in saying I've never done before. Pretty steady golf after that left me feeling i'd let a score go due to the start. Having just tallied it up, it would appear my "bad front 9" was merely 1 worse than handicap. So a nice 39 points (17 &22)!

Best of all, another person off the forum i'd be happy to have another round with and share a pint (when we can)!

Traminator

_20200601_191108.JPG _20200601_191128.JPG _20200601_191146.JPG _20200601_191050.JPG
Today witnessed the inaugural Battle of Watford South, as old Mr Traminator hosted young Orikoru San at the venerable Northwood GC.

Never been known for his negotiating skills, Traminator suggested a friendly matchplay and gave his young guest a friendly stroke allowance based on the latter's alleged recent form.
After missing 3 makeable birdie 🐦 putts to be level par after 4, Traminator found himself already 2 down as Orikoru came out the blocks in blistering fashion, birdieing the 1st and parring several more to take a handsome lead at the turn.

A mini fightback looked on, but after finding a bunker on 13 and a bush on the 14th, it was all over 6&4 and all the old man could do was take solace in the tin of beer handily stored in his bag.

A lovely day was had by all. 😊

Crow

Tour Winner
Had a great round today, matching my best previous score of 85.

Was only three over gross stood on the 9th tee including a three putt from 20ft on the 6th. Parred 10, and then three putted both 11 and 12 from just 10ft in each case. Then my first ever back to back birdies on 14 and 15, the first with a 20ft putt and the second with a tee shot to 10 inches from the cup. Was looking good to set a new low score for me, but loose play on 16 resulted in a 7, parred 17 and took an 8 on our par five 18th after pulling my drive an losing the ball. Felt a low score was coming and there is definitely scope for even better.
Well played Mike!

It's always hard to hold your nerve over the closing holes when you know you've got a good score going, but you obviously have the ability so keep at it and a new PB will happen soon.