I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Fish

Major Champion
Halved my 9 hole Matchplay against the current leader in our mini-league.

That’s the 5th of 9 rounds completed and keeps me within 2 points of him in 2nd place, so all I have to do is keep winning and hopefully he drops points against someone else😜

However, I’m absolutely knackered, we played on playing 18 holes, with me winning the back nine 3&1, but I feel like I’ve just played 36, I was huffing & puffing quite a bit towards the end 😳

The windy conditions were very testing to play in, it was difficult to work out what the wind was doing at times, it was very gusty and blustery, so I’m very pleased with how I played, especially with my 2 on the 17th, just 2 inches away from first hole in one 😎🏌🏿‍♂️

Homie, do you want to cash out yet 😜

Traminator

After managing to find a range open, normalish service was resumed with about 90 balls hit before teeing off. Big difference.

Wind was howling (who knew? 😉), played with a VERY nice guy off 4 and shot 1 over.

Game not there yet, but best knock so far.

Traminator

First round for two months, down at Haste Hill. Just took a half set to keep it simple (D, 20°h, 7, 9, 50°, 56°, Pt). Few spots of rain during the first four or five holes but none after that. Very breezy but nowhere near unplayably bad. Temperature was nice, shorts and t-shirt all the way once the rain vanished.

I shot 84 for 36 points! Like I'd never been away. I always said practising is overrated. :LOL: Thinned the tits off the first tee shot with the 7i, but managed to get up and down for par. Driver was good right from the off, then a couple of slices crept in, but got it back to being good by the end. One blob on the 9th caused by a slice, lost the ball and couldn't recover to score. Back nine of 40 was really good though. Seven pars today, but five of them in the last eight holes. Delighted to be back on the course and to actually play well.

It was strange being sort of thrust into summer golf with no adjustment period, got loads of bounce and roll on a few drives which is always nice. Trying to get the pace of the greens wasn't easy (although they weren't in fabulous condition either).

Our course is doing 16 minute intervals, but somehow we still had someone on our fairway on the 2nd hole as we were teeing off. How is it possible? Thought maybe they'd teed off late but the guy outside said if you're late you don't get on because they need to maintain the gaps. So that was weird. They actually sped up so didn't really hold us up too much, but I just couldn't work out why they were only there with the 16 min gaps.
How was the course condition?
I played it in Jan when it was squelch squelch, like everywhere, but it's a good course.

larmen

Head Pro
Didn't score well but i am really happy with my golf today. 9 holes only until I am confident again (might be now) but this went well 'in parts'.

I played my best hole ever on the 6th, this is after I played my best hole ever on the 5th just before.
par4.jpg
On the 6th I never ever made the dogleg and never had the chance to go for the green before, so my longest drive by some 15 yards gave me the scoring opportunity.
Back to back par 4 fours. I only ever had 1 before (not in a round, in ever).

Overall I had a few opportunities but when trying to go for it from 170 out I messed it up.
I hit 3 out of 6 par 4 greens in regulation, usually I might hit maybe the short one. I also hit 3 (and 2 half ;-) ) fairways out of 6. The total miss costume as I was in range but a bad lie under a tree went from trouble to trouble to trouble ...
Totally messed up the short game and 2 out of 3 par 3s, that's why the score is bad, but I don't really care this time.

Can someone tweet Boris that he should announce that comps and roll ups are allowed again? Pretty please?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Played my second post resumption round today. Still in singles here as the First Minister of Wales is an idiot.

Frankly by about the 13th...I'd had enough, although I kept going. Had no focus at all and felt very lethargic.

Hope something changes by next week or I won't bother!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Played 18 holes enjoyed it but didn’t do it for me.
4 months off and didn’t miss it much.
Course was remarkably good considering.
29 points after 19 out tells the story as I just lacked concentration for the full 18

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
Played 18 at Ellesborough for the first time in 3 months with CVG today

Won 35-23 with 3 blobs (yes I know)
Had 21 On the front with 1 blob (yes I know)

Drove well, approach shots were really good and putting was steady.

Got tired on the back 9

Last night I was thinking about the Callaway Big Bertha 3 wood with a stiff shaft that Imurg let me have last year,

Never got on with it, so thought I’d try an experiment, I put in the regular shaft from my Rogue driver,
Now logically it shouldn’t work, longer shaft, smaller head, etc

But it was superb, used it for 3 approach shots between 210 & 230 yards out, 2 greens hit and 1 about 20 yards short.

Liking my Frankenstein club

YOTF?
Year Of The Fragger 😎

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Played with a 6 handicapper. Good bloke too and we had an enjoyable round. Played reasonably but still struggling with leaving the face open on irons and getting weak cuts. Got a lesson booked for Wednesday so should cure that. Managed to make too many errors and turn simple net pars into one point holes. Didn't score on 11. Hit it in the bunker and the club bottomed out on the base of the bunker and skulled through the green. Thought I executed it ok. Pulled drive at the next for another no score. Struck it well but just 15 yards too far left.

Scrappy on the last few holes and not swinging well at all. Short game tidy and most of the bunker shots very good bar one. Putted ok with the odyssey #9 so lots of plus points. Just need to find a swing that works to square the face (and getting a few heel strikes when I hit into my net this afternoon with a little red dot put on the ball) with irons. Get those sorted and think I can start scoring again

larmen

Head Pro
Got a lesson booked for Wednesday so should cure that.
It would be interesting to know how lessons work these days with local distancing. I just emailed my pro to see if he is coaching and short game facilities are available.
Hit it in the bunker and the club bottomed out on the base of the bunker and skulled through the green.
YouTube recommended me a Clay Ballard video this afternoon. I fundamentally hit every bunker shot wrong, based on what he said. Every one.

On one hole today I did bunker followed by happy Gilmore pitching from both ends of the green, one putted for a 7.

IainP

Tour Rookie
Yesterday played in the strong wind. I normally don't lose many golf balls but lost 6 in 3 holes! Back again today, after handing over joining forms. Played bogey against the course, 2 down 1st 9, 1 down 2nd. Drove well enough to compete but need some time on the irons. Lovely evening.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
It would be interesting to know how lessons work these days with local distancing. I just emailed my pro to see if he is coaching and short game facilities are available.
He'll be in a face mask, gloves and a if its wind a plastic face visor and has asked me to wear a mask as well. Not sure if he means a surgical or full FFP3 so will take both. Hoping it'll be surgical mask as I think it'll be tough hitting in a fuller mask

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
He'll be in a face mask, gloves and a if its wind a plastic face visor and has asked me to wear a mask as well. Not sure if he means a surgical or full FFP3 so will take both. Hoping it'll be surgical mask as I think it'll be tough hitting in a fuller mask
That all seems quite excessive for an outdoor lesson. Is that following national, PGA, advice or is how your pro wants to do it?

The pro I go to, different club to my own, has a covered area, open hut, in effect. It is a good size and he rarely gets within 2m of me already. He may be taking the same precautions as your pro but I would not have thought he needs to.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
That all seems quite excessive for an outdoor lesson. Is that following national, PGA, advice or is how your pro wants to do it?

The pro I go to, different club to my own, has a covered area, open hut, in effect. It is a good size and he rarely gets within 2m of me already. He may be taking the same precautions as your pro but I would not have thought he needs to.
It's a covered range bay and simply what he texted me. No idea what advice he's following or if he's simply being over cautious but as long as he can fix my irons and strike he can do it in a full space suit for all I care

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I think I would wait in that case until some normality is restored. Hope it goes well for your irons.
The range is allegedly opening there on Tuesday as well so can see why the teaching pros are keen to get working again. Fortunately from my perspective he's very good and doesn't re-invent the wheel and hoping it'll be a case of small tweaks. If it is too much of a faff I'll wait for further lessons

pauldj42

Money List Winner