I like a good western

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
A simple but fabulous line. I'm reading this, hearing his voice and grinning.

The great shame is that and so many other fabulous lines are being lost as the younger generation don't seem interested in westerns.
"Get off your horse and drink your milk."

"My mule don't like people laughing." Eastwood.

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Harmonica in Once Upon A Time In The West. Took me a long time to "get it" and fully understand the story, but, got to be one of the greatest Westerns ever made. The Cast alone is amazing. Who ever cast Henry Fonda in a "baddie" role took a huge risk, but, he played the blue eyed villain perfectly.
For those who are not familiar...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
For those that want to scratch the western itch, the TCM film channel seems to run westerns all day. Not sure how many "classics" there are but loads of goodies v baddies and cowboys and indians

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
Always preferred ClintE in The Outlaw Josey Wales and I can also readily watch Pale Rider, just to see baddies get their dues! They're not trad cowboys and indians westerns but still westerns I think. The last scene in PR with Stockburn and his deputies dropping one by one is great watch, dare I say classic? Whilst the spaghetti ones have style, they're too ponderous for me.

Revenant and Last of the Mohicans are both excellent too.

Reemul

Head Pro
I'm massive western fan, my dad brought me up watching Clint Eastwood movies. A mention must go to The Outlaw Josey Wales, as well as Once Upon a Time in the West and The Clint Trilogy. Amazing soundtracks I still use A Fist Full of Dollars as my Ring Tone.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Love most of these, especially Gary Cooper in High noon. Can watch John Wayne all day as well.
One of my favorites hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's Kurt Russel in Tombstone. Cracking film with some really good co-stars.

Of course we of a certain age grew up watching The Lone Ranger and Champion the Wonder Horse, then a bit older we graduated to Bonanza etc. Though my favourite was The High Chaparall - ah Victoria - for a 10yr old she was something quite unlike any female I had ever before seen.

Swinglowandslow

As a boy at Saturday morning A B C Minors cinema, I became an expert in B & W westerns.
Always loved them since.
The two Wyatt Earp latest are brilliant.

" I don't think I'll let you arrest me today, John"

Thread starter #36
one of the best things about the western tv sries was of course ,THE THEME TUNES. the lone Ranger theme being the William Tell overture was the absolute best of them all ,but Bonanza ,The Virginian ,Rawhide were and still are memorable tunes.
if knew how to put up a link to them all i would ,but im sure theres a cowpoke out there who would do the job

Swinglowandslow

one of the best things about the western tv sries was of course ,THE THEME TUNES. the lone Ranger theme being the William Tell overture was the absolute best of them all ,but Bonanza ,The Virginian ,Rawhide were and still are memorable tunes.
if knew how to put up a link to them all i would ,but im sure theres a cowpoke out there who would do the job
No doubt they are all on YouTube

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Here is a curve ball, watched the mandolorian last night.. had a definite hint of a western about it and just set in space .. it’s been good so far

Am a massive western fan, like others above, it was a popular genre growing up, alongside war films. I like most John Wayne films, my eldest boy is named after a Big Jake, but am absolutely a Clint fan. My favourite western of all time is Outlaw Josey Wales, the character is just the epitome of cool ("How's it with stains?", "Well are ya gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"). Both made some great films - True Grit, Katie Elder, Big Jake, Rio Bravo/ El Dorado, The Searchers, Chisum, The Shootist, The Dollar Trilogy, Hang 'em High, Joe Kidd, Two Mules for Sister Sara, Pale Rider, Unforgiven, even Paint Your Wagon is good :eek:.

Step outside these two actors and there are still a ton of good westerns to watch - Last of the Mohicans, Tombstone, Dances with Wolves, Open Range, Hostiles, Django Unchained, The Quick and The Dead, Silverado, Wyatt Earp, Geronimo, The Missing, Lonesome Dove. The list could go on.... and on...

If you even only remotely like westerns, and move into modern day, the best thing ever, is the TV series Justified, which is on Amazon Prime, and well worth a watch.