How long has the car stood still?

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
I am more concerned about the sun damaging the paint, and the interior. It's ok next two days, but then warms up again. I am considering car covers. Yes, they get sunny when driven, but the effects are worst when the car is in the same spot every day

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
I have a Ctek one, and have the battery connection lead permanently bolted to the battery terminals. A simple and no-spark connector at the other end:)

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
If you are going to buy a trickle charger, there are far better options available;

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product-group-tests/351865/best-battery-chargers-2020

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Because someone might steal it?

I got a payment holiday this week from Jaguar for a PCP (they had an e-form to fill on their website-really easy). Interest is added to the total and needs paying at the end but I guess it’ll just be a few hundred quid more owed to the finance when I trade it in
Thanks.. unfortunately Volvo not yet doing it.. Volvo PCP is via Santander Consumer and they haven’t moved. Quiet surprising given that Santander was one of the first to freeze mortgages

BTW.. Parker’s has published a list
https://www.parkers.co.uk/amp/car-finance/advice/payment-holidays.

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Just make sure that it is "Start Stop Compatible" if your car has that function. And of course you shouldn't need full 'flat' to 'full' speed if you trickle charge whilst the car is out of use.
Can you explain more please, mine isn't but hers is, I wouldn't want to end up with 3 (already have one on which the motorbike lives)?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Can you explain more please, mine isn't but hers is, I wouldn't want to end up with 3 (already have one on which the motorbike lives)?
Cars with "start-stop" may have 2 different types of batteries fitted, or like my Mazda just one that is different inside to a normal older car battery.
My Ctek MXS 5.0 is stop-start compatible and Smart charging.:)

Last edited:

trevor

Head Pro
Washed my car and gave it a good clean inside yesterday then standing looking at in the afternoon wondering what to do next thought I’ll take it round the block to get rid of the brake disc rust. Definitely was less than a quarter of a mile not even on a main road but I felt incredibly guilty about being in it.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Washed my car and gave it a good clean inside yesterday then standing looking at in the afternoon wondering what to do next thought I’ll take it round the block to get rid of the brake disc rust. Definitely was less than a quarter of a mile not even on a main road but I felt incredibly guilty about being in it.
Not sure about this but if you clean the rust off won't it simply start rusting again? If you leave it, it won't rust further once there no more bare iron exposed.

Kellfire

Tour Winner
I go out roughly once a fortnight so I get to give the car a good run out when I do. It’s a diesel so it needs it

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I stand corrected, I thought it still had to be insured even if SORN.

If the car though is on a PCP, would the term and conditions of it not require it to be insured regardless?, if not that's a pretty heavy risk to take on such a costly item.
That's never something I've looked into

When I sorned my car once upon a time it was in my uncles garage off the road completely so wasn't a worry

If I did it now I wouldn't want to risk it just for the sake of the tax because imagine if someone nicked it off my drive .. too risky

trevor

Head Pro
Not sure about this but if you clean the rust off won't it simply start rusting again? If you leave it, it won't rust further once there no more bare iron exposed.
Don’t know, you could be right but it makes me feel better looking at shiny discs rather than rusty ones.

drdel

Tour Rookie
You don't want the pads rusting to the discs. Modern disc are quite soft steel and the patch of corrosion will mean you'll get severe juddering. If it rains or you wash the car drive it around the block and activate the brakes to dry them off.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
I went out the other day to get a prescription for the father in law. The brakes were rusted up. It took some going to free them and then I was gradually breaking harder and harder to clear the rust.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
I'm not entirely clear on the whole "don't wash your car" piece that's being bandied about.
Being outside in the confides of my own garden/driveway does not spread a virus. The act of being outside in any capacity does not spread a virus. Being in contact with other people spreads a virus.

How is sitting in my house away from people less of a risk than being in my garden, away from people? I am all in favour of restrictions on social contact to reduce the viral spread but nonsense like this is where they will lose people.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I'm not entirely clear on the whole "don't wash your car" piece that's being bandied about.
Being outside in the confides of my own garden/driveway does not spread a virus. The act of being outside in any capacity does not spread a virus. Being in contact with other people spreads a virus.

How is sitting in my house away from people less of a risk than being in my garden, away from people? I am all in favour of restrictions on social contact to reduce the viral spread but nonsense like this is where they will lose people.
Bit of the waterless wash that doesn't take too long for a quick clean it is then

I did the wife's car the other day then just did my windows as I'm driving anyways so it's getting dirty who cares