holiday insurance warning

oxymoron

Club Champion
A few years ago we were in the canaries and one of our party broke her ankle on the last night (elderly woman so no party animal :)), she ended up having to be hospitalized for 5 weeks then airlifted home ,total cost £25000 :eek:
After that i was always insistent we got good cover even after my cardiac arrest episodes . Would not be comfortable with no or indeed cover that was not comprehensive for my needs.

Related question. Anyone used icarhireinsurance.com to cover car hire damage excess charges and so no need to take out insurance for excess cover each time you hire. We've got at least three car hires coming up this year and this has been recommended by a friend at the club.

Last edited:
I have yet found an insurance company to insure me even for just two weeks, so for the last 3 trips to Cyprus I have just had my fingers crossed.
Well at least in most of Europe you'd have been covered by the EHIC scheme. Hope this is sorted as part of the 'deal'. Reported in the DE yesterday...don't know if I totally trust the veracity of anything the DE reports in respect of the EU but guessing that this is accurate.

However, while the EHIC is valid until 31 January, the government has advised that Britons get the appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before going abroad as the card may not be valid in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

“It’s particularly important you get travel insurance with the right cover if you have a pre-existing medical condition,” states Gov.co.uk.

“This is because the EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not.”

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1230091/brexit-ehic-card-rules-explained-travel-news

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Remember to disclose all you ailments :p
me am 100% fit 😖
whereas Missis T, anyway. She has just got off the phone having paid £171 for a years worldwide cover With Virgin. Which was originally over £200. However do we want Natural disaster cover re earthquakes, Tsunami etc. Er no. What about valuables 😳 am a peasant. Er no. Where do you draw the line when it comes to cover.

On a side note, cover sorted for RBL weekend in Blackpool for £5 odd so we can get meerkats 2 for 1 at the pictures and X number of restaurants. Now that is a bargain.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
This always suggests that when you are not covered by the NHS you take a gamble when going abroad.
If you have underlying health problems or the older you are the more the risk.
Insurance companies will take your money and do their best to avoid paying a claim.
I assume that all foreign hospitals will expect to be paid before treating you. Only when you get home can you try to claim the money back.
BTW Prostate, not prostrate.

Thread starter #30

williamalex1

Money List Winner
This always suggests that when you are not covered by the NHS you take a gamble when going abroad.
If you have underlying health problems or the older you are the more the risk.
Insurance companies will take your money and do their best to avoid paying a claim.
I assume that all foreign hospitals will expect to be paid before treating you. Only when you get home can you try to claim the money back.
BTW Prostate, not prostrate.
I'm sure there's Rs in the test. :p