Golf Random Irritations

sunshine

IMO - No club winter competition for 7-day members should have any condition that assumes that a player can play Mon-Fri. If players are able to agree for such a day then great - but where , say, three dates must be offered then these dates should always be weekend dates. I can be asked if there are any dates I can play during the week - and if I can then great - but you need to offer me three weekend dates for winter comps.

If this scenario were me - I'd just drop a comp I was already signed up for - prioritise the match. If the other guy feels superior about it - that he's somehow won - then he can preen himself as much as he wants and I wouldn't let it bother me...
Totally agree - the assumption has to be that members are at work Mon-Fri.

A few years ago I would have got wound up like the OP. Now I'd just drop the scramble: it is substituting golf for golf, at the same course on the same day. It's not like the scramble is the club championship. You can always play a social round on Sunday if you want your double fix of weekend golf.

sunshine

I know in past under rules you couldn't play 2 formats at once, but believe rules allow it now, although not recommended? However, he didn't offer those other 2 dates anyway, so seems he is only content to sacrifice scramble
Can you not play scramble in the morning then your match in the afternoon? Or vice versa? Scramble is NQ so I'm guessing you wouldn't get penalised for practising on the course if you played your match first!

Swango1980

Can you not play scramble in the morning then your match in the afternoon? Or vice versa? Scramble is NQ so I'm guessing you wouldn't get penalised for practising on the course if you played your match first!
Scramble starts at 9am. I think it would be tough to get a second round in in daylight, but I'm very positive there is not a cats in hell chance my opponent will agree to playing late on, meaning I do not miss scramble. Mind you, I'm a bit older now, I don't fancy 2 rounds in a day :)

I could drop the scramble. And, if we were both genuinely struggling to find dates before deadline, then I'd happily sacrifice a competition so we could get it played. However, when my opponent says he will not play the last 5 or so weekends before deadline, because the weather might be bad, I'm struggling to have any desire to make any sort of sacrifice myself. Everyone loves a scramble, and the thought of having to drop a scramble to play against this delightful chap is not the most appealing thought.

It is also not appealing to just give up, and offer him the match. And I suppose the question is, why should I? The guidelines don't make any mention that a player will be DQ'ed if they can't play the 3 dates on offer. Otherwise, a crafty player, ideally right at the top of the draw, could simply find out when his opponents go on holiday, or what their shift patterns are, and then offer 3 dates they know they cannot do.

In my 15 years at the golf club, there is not one member now (except for this guy), or one member in the past, that I would ever consider having this problem with. Everybody always makes some sort of reasonable effort to play a game. Yes, occasionally someone might end up being on holiday for a long time, or get an injury, and things can get a bit iffy. But, even when that happens, both players have always made an honest attempt to try and make the deadline. I have never ever heard of anyone at my club, or any other, who has refused to play the last 5 or 6 weeks before a deadline in a winter knockout because the weather might be bad (our course rarely ever closes anyway, it takes heavy snowfall or vast amounts of rain to shut it down)

Scramble starts at 9am. I think it would be tough to get a second round in in daylight, but I'm very positive there is not a cats in hell chance my opponent will agree to playing late on, meaning I do not miss scramble. Mind you, I'm a bit older now, I don't fancy 2 rounds in a day :)

I could drop the scramble. And, if we were both genuinely struggling to find dates before deadline, then I'd happily sacrifice a competition so we could get it played. However, when my opponent says he will not play the last 5 or so weekends before deadline, because the weather might be bad, I'm struggling to have any desire to make any sort of sacrifice myself. Everyone loves a scramble, and the thought of having to drop a scramble to play against this delightful chap is not the most appealing thought.

It is also not appealing to just give up, and offer him the match. And I suppose the question is, why should I? The guidelines don't make any mention that a player will be DQ'ed if they can't play the 3 dates on offer. Otherwise, a crafty player, ideally right at the top of the draw, could simply find out when his opponents go on holiday, or what their shift patterns are, and then offer 3 dates they know they cannot do.

In my 15 years at the golf club, there is not one member now (except for this guy), or one member in the past, that I would ever consider having this problem with. Everybody always makes some sort of reasonable effort to play a game. Yes, occasionally someone might end up being on holiday for a long time, or get an injury, and things can get a bit iffy. But, even when that happens, both players have always made an honest attempt to try and make the deadline. I have never ever heard of anyone at my club, or any other, who has refused to play the last 5 or 6 weeks before a deadline in a winter knockout because the weather might be bad (our course rarely ever closes anyway, it takes heavy snowfall or vast amounts of rain to shut it down)
Let him preen himself and feel superior if that wat he wants, and accept one of his dates even if it sticks in your throat and you have to cancel something you'd rather play in. Feedback to the club and ask it to be more aware in future.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Unless the committee say otherwise I’d wait until Nov 2 and then let him know the which dates you offered still stand.

Worst that happens is he doesn’t play and you both get DQ’d in Dec.

I certainly would not concede the match.
This. I'd also be making his difficult nature in agreeing on any sort of compromise known in advance to the organisers. If you can be seen to at least try and meet him halfway, perhaps you'd have a chance to appeal and get a W/O rather than both being DQ'd. No guarantee of course

Swango1980

This. I'd also be making his difficult nature in agreeing on any sort of compromise known in advance to the organisers. If you can be seen to at least try and meet him halfway, perhaps you'd have a chance to appeal and get a W/O rather than both being DQ'd. No guarantee of course
After a day of getting nowhere, I informed committee of full dialogue (the beauty of a recorded whatsapp discussion) so they can make their own interpretation. We have 1 week to see if this can be resolved, otherwise they will make a final decision based on both our explanations

Hoganman1

One of my minor irritations is playing partners who drive or walk ahead and get in the way before I play my approach. Due to a torn rotator cuff I don't drive the ball very far. I'm usually the shortest player off the tee. However, I rarely miss the fairway and thanks to a good short game I have the lowest index in my regular group. I know they don't do it on purpose, but it happens quite frequently. I always try to stay behind my fellow players whenever they play even if they top or chunk the shot.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
After a day of getting nowhere, I informed committee of full dialogue (the beauty of a recorded whatsapp discussion) so they can make their own interpretation. We have 1 week to see if this can be resolved, otherwise they will make a final decision based on both our explanations
Good man. Sometimes you simply have to be a bit direct. At least you've evidence to back your claim up. Hope it gets sorted. Matchplays can be tiresome to organise even before Covid which is why I've not bothered in the last few years with these events like the Titleist matchplay. Hard enough with members of your own club. Can be soul destroying with members elsewhere, especially pairs matches to get both opponents to agree the same date/time

banjofred

One of my minor irritations is playing partners who drive or walk ahead and get in the way before I play my approach. Due to a torn rotator cuff I don't drive the ball very far. I'm usually the shortest player off the tee. However, I rarely miss the fairway and thanks to a good short game I have the lowest index in my regular group. I know they don't do it on purpose, but it happens quite frequently. I always try to stay behind my fellow players whenever they play even if they top or chunk the shot.
We do this all the time. Ready golf. Don't actually get in the way of course, but if my playing partner is hitting and I've already hit up near the green (or further up the fairway) I'll quite often walk up well off the hitting path.....a lot of people will walk up the side well out of the way just to save time rather than 3 people just standing around waiting for one person to get ready and hit. If I see a 4 ball and one person is getting ready to play and the others are doing nothing......it's usually going to be a slow 4 ball. I'm not talking miles up the fairway or getting in the way of the shot of course......well off to the side.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Golf has changed. This is ready golf and is being promoted by clubs

Staying behind play and moving up slowly after shot is what's killing the game (not saying you are killing it but imagine a slow golfer who does this just is the slowest possible )

Swango1980

I'm usually one of the longer hitters in my group, and will always walk ahead of others before they play their shot. As others have said, not in front of them, but to the side, and will do as far as I can. I'll always stop before they address ball, just in case any movement or sound distracts them. If I am well off their line, I can even get to my ball, evaluate the situation, and pretty much be ready to play once they have played. That in itself saves a massive amount of time. Having everybody in the group never proceed beyond the player that is furthest from green is likely to result in significant increases in round time.

Hoganman1

Actually, I'm known as one of the fastest players at our club. Of course I'm for ready golf. I'm talking about someone parking their cart next to their ball which is twenty yards ahead of me and directly in my line. I often have to yell at them to please move.

williamalex1

Money List Winner

This is why I stopped entering all our matchplay comps, to much skullduggery. Personally I would've called his bluff and accepted his Texas Scramble offer.
You never know what might happen, he might relent and ask to play another day, or you could change your mind at the VERY last minute , concede the tie and play with your mates in the TS :devilish:.