Golf Random Irritations

Crazyface

Tour Winner
My mate , plays off 32, get two shots on the last hole at his place which is a par three and a flick with a wedge / 9 iron from the top of a hill down to a green below. He regularly gets a two here and once had a hole in one.

Really, 2 shots on a very easy par three???????

Another reason I've never joined (on fully fees).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
My mate , plays off 32, get two shots on the last hole at his place which is a par three and a flick with a wedge / 9 iron from the top of a hill down to a green below. He regularly gets a two here and once had a hole in one.

Well there's only 4 holes he doesn't get two shots on. I'm guessing they're all either par 3s or short par 4s as it is? My course has par 3s that are S.I. 12, 13 & 14 so he would get them here as well.

For me it's best that he gets these shots on the last hole as in matchplay (which is the only time SI of a hole matters) I find it a challenge giving a shot on a short par 3. I'd rather get the match done and dusted before the 18th if I have to give a shot on an easy par 3 last hole.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Why didn't you enter? I will always stick my name in. Turns out I posted on here I threw a competitive round away and yet it was good enough for 3rd so you never know. Should have won my division
Firstly they only told us there was one Friday night. We were teeing off Saturday morning (not early but we normally play afternoons) and we just didn't sort ourselves out to enter it in time, plus it was raining as we teed off and I expected it to be a miserable one, ha. I normally play cack in the rain but it eased off after 7.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Firstly they only told us there was one Friday night. We were teeing off Saturday morning (not early but we normally play afternoons) and we just didn't sort ourselves out to enter it in time, plus it was raining as we teed off and I expected it to be a miserable one, ha. I normally play cack in the rain but it eased off after 7.
It was grim in 30+ mph gusts and we got lucky with the rain which ran out on the 17th when it positively hosed down. We book online as most clubs are doing and simply declare our intent to enter with the gate marshal as we arrive and they mark it on their start sheet.

IainP

Tour Rookie
Not sure it fits here, but just watched a vlog of a challenge tour player playing the course I joined this month. Hitting lines off the tee I didn't even imagine 😲 A reminder they play a different game (to me)!

TBF they weren't playing the "tour tees", and a few of the whites looked on the yellows as this wasn't long after re-opening. Course also not looking the best (esp tees) with the one greenkeeper. Some fun on the back 9 mind.

If interested here's the link

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
Putting with the pin in. It's just rubbish. It is never squarely in the middle of the hole, and just leaves no where for the ball. I feel I need to dribble it in, which is not how I putt.
The ball hit the pin twice for me today, and didn't drop, and one that did only went about 10% below the surface.
The sooner we are allowed to remove the flipping thing, the happier I will be.

Traminator

Putting with the pin in. It's just rubbish. It is never squarely in the middle of the hole, and just leaves no where for the ball. I feel I need to dribble it in, which is not how I putt.
The ball hit the pin twice for me today, and didn't drop, and one that did only went about 10% below the surface.
Maybe different pins are needed?
Ours are tapered and very thin at the bottom, personally I'd never bother taking them out again if they were like it everywhere.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I agree. It makes the hole look smaller (to me at least) and to be certain of it going in you've got to dribble it. Not good especially with any degree off break. I've not seen the new deeper holes we've put in today so looking forward to that on Friday and seeing if it makes a difference

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
Maybe different pins are needed?
Ours are tapered and very thin at the bottom, personally I'd never bother taking them out again if they were like it everywhere.
They looked at it, but they are expensive.

My club lose a flag stick on average every other week. So 26 new ones required every year. Just too expensive.

Traminator

They looked at it, but they are expensive.

My club lose a flag stick on average every other week. So 26 new ones required every year. Just too expensive.
Someone somewhere needs to produce a new cup liner with reduced depth and thin flagstick attached.
2 problems solved 🙃

williamalex1

Money List Winner
I think we are lucky that we don't get our greens stolen along with the flag sticks.
A few years ago a young divorced guy in our street rented out his house to strangers, without getting proper references or recommendations. They paid 2 months rent in advance but stopped paying anything after a couple of months.
They then disappeared taking everything of value, including the turf from both back and front gardens.
Turned out the were travellers paying cash and seemingly untraceable. The street was a nightmare for months nothing was safe.