Getting penalties correct

Thread starter #1
In a bid to assist myself in improving me rules knowledge I did the level 1 on-line referee course through the R&A rules academy and managed to pass, wohoo :). I did get a number of questions wrong however :-( and they almost all had a common theme, I seem to get the rules right more often than not, just not the value of penalties, one shot or two (or very occasionally 3). Is there some logic in the application of penalties that I am missing and may assist me in getting them more correct or is it just a case of remembering each one? Are there any tips you can pass on?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Well done.

The basis guideline is

things you do by accident - 1 shot eg accidentally moving the ball as you address it
things you could have avoided (eg by knowing the rules) 2 shots eg not replacing the ball you accidentally moved

Thread starter #3
The basis guideline is

things you do by accident - 1 shot eg accidentally moving the ball as you address it
things you could have avoided (eg by knowing the rules) 2 shots eg not replacing the ball you accidentally moved
Thanks Jim, that's the pattern I thought I had recognised, in the exam I must have either forgotten or hit some exceptions. Exactly the type of advice I was after though (y)

In a bid to assist myself in improving me rules knowledge I did the level 1 on-line referee course through the R&A rules academy and managed to pass, wohoo :). I did get a number of questions wrong however :-( and they almost all had a common theme, I seem to get the rules right more often than not, just not the value of penalties, one shot or two (or very occasionally 3). Is there some logic in the application of penalties that I am missing and may assist me in getting them more correct or is it just a case of remembering each one? Are there any tips you can pass on?
The other posters have covered the main points. The ones I often have to think carefully about are the ones in strokeplay where the infringement is not corrected so the penalty is compounded.

There were a few of these on the L2 exam and I struggled at times to get them right (now enough fingers and toes).

Lilyhawk

Did the same course this morning and passed with 45 correct answers out of 50. Apparently I can print a certificate. Might just do it and hang on the wall. Will ask my missus what she thinks first... :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
I know my biggest problem is remembering facts but not figures. I feel I can quote a rule better than most players but not the rule number.

Luckily in my working life , in which I did a lot of exams, it was all about the ability to know where to look and how to apply it and were always allowed full access to the manuals when we took the exams.

Well done.

The basis guideline is

This is a revelation to me! Brilliant! I have the same problem as the OP, I generally remember what is mandated, permitted or prohibited but I never know what the penalty should be for a breach. This guideline will help me no end. Thank you.

The basis guideline is

That sounds like a very sensible way to do things.
In which case why is the penalty for playing the wrong ball (certainly an accident) 2 shots, while the penalty for deliberately touching your ball (certainly not an accident) only 1 shot?

That sounds like a very sensible way to do things.
In which case why is the penalty for playing the wrong ball (certainly an accident) 2 shots, while the penalty for deliberately touching your ball (certainly not an accident) only 1 shot?

It is a rough guide only

The first is obvious:- Playing a wrong ball is not an 'accident' a player should have identified the ball before hitting it.

The latter not all deliberate actions incur a 2 shot penalty.

eg signing for a 6 on a card when you only played 5 could be considered a one shot penalty.

It is a rough guide only

The first is obvious:- Playing a wrong ball is not an 'accident' a player should have identified the ball before hitting it.
I think you're nit-picking to suggest playing the wrong ball is not an accident.

The latter not all deliberate actions incur a 2 shot penalty.

eg signing for a 6 on a card when you only played 5 could be considered a one shot penalty.
So that's another example of an exception to the rough guide.

And here are some more:
- Cleaning the ball when you're not allowed to. Clearly not an accident, but the penalty is 1 shot.
- Deliberately lifting a ball marker before the ball is replaced: not an accident, penalty 1 shot.
- Accidentally moving sand behind the ball in a bunker during backswing: penalty 2 shots.

It seems to me that this "rough guide" has so many exceptions that it really doesn't work very well as a rough guide.

Well done! I did exactly the same. I've just joined a club for the first time, and have never played any competitive golf. It's always been nomadic social golf where we have tried to follow the spirit of the rules, but also be aware that we want to keep the pace moving.

I therefore did the R&A Level 1 test, and, exactly like you passed, but the questions I got wrong were about the 1 or 2 shot issue.

The explanations people have given are helpful. I am sure it will stand me in good stead, and that I;ll get the hang of it as I start to play with more experienced players. Though I am aware that the worst cricket umpires are usually the ones who have just done a course!