Full Custom Fit Recommendations

Thread starter #1

Traminator

Looking for, ideally, personal experience please, has anyone any recommendations or otherwise on any of these full fitting packages, specifically thinking of Precision Golf as an example? I'm inside the M25 near Watford, anywhere within a couple of hours drive is fine.

I know my equipment is pretty much in the right ball park, but with the ageing process and new gear that I probably don't even know about, I'm looking at getting a complete assessment from a fresh pair of eyes and good data before splashing crazy amounts on new gear.

I see Precision Golf charge £275 for a 3.5 hour session, I wouldn't have a problem with that if it came with good personal recommendations from other low handicap players.

Any others I should consider?

Ideally, the ability to see balls fly in addition to into a net, but not imperative.

Thanks for any recommendations and comments.

My lad used Gavin at CustomLab in Hitchin. He was very good, although no range to hit on, all done on the big screen. Quite a few of the guys at the club have used him, pretty sure LiverpoolPhil has too, not heard anything bad.

I've used Silvermere a number of times, I like to see where the balls are flying for real. Good setup, decent fitters, although they seem to come and go. Nowhere near the range of options regarding shafts compared to CustomLab, but a decent enough place to use.

Last edited:
I'd Recommend Lee Porter at Hyland Golf Course near Chelmsford. Been a few years since I've seen Lee but his advice has always been spot on.

JamesR

Tour Winner
Are you thinking of doing the full set in one go?

I'm not sure if that's a great idea, as you'll hit a lot of balls in a short amount of time, and it could get knackering, so that the end of the session is less representative.

Thread starter #11

Traminator

Are you thinking of doing the full set in one go?

I'm not sure if that's a great idea, as you'll hit a lot of balls in a short amount of time, and it could get knackering, so that the end of the session is less representative.
I get what you're saying but I'm not THAT old 🧓 😁

JamesR

Tour Winner
I may be wrong, it’s happened a couple of times before, but I think they tend to do irons and wedges together and, driver and woods together. But rarely do everything together.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I may be wrong, it’s happened a couple of times before, but I think they tend to do irons and wedges together and, driver and woods together. But rarely do everything together.
I think you're right in as much as I saw a video on youtube of a guy getting an Orka fitting and the guy explained very clearly why they do the irons in one fitting, woods and hybrid in another and wedges in a third. Makes total sense and you can't be putting good swings on it after 2-3 hours of hitting balls

Thread starter #14

Traminator

Looking at the websites, including the suggestions above, there are options for full bag sessions which is what I would do.
It won't be just smashing balls for 3 hours, there has to be breaks, looking at the data, changing shafts etc etc.

It's OK, I'll take a 🍌 😉

Have fun trying everything out. I love having a club fitting, especially for new irons. Last time I changed irons and hit lots of makes (2019), I spent time indoors hitting into the screen, but it was the time spent hitting outdoors off grass that was actually most helpful - seeing different flights, shapes, and feeling the turf interaction. Hitting outdoors helped me choose the model and shafts, and then moving indoors helped customise the options.

Foxholer

Major Champion
I was an early enthusiastic customer of Precision Golf. Great service and high quality analysis/fitting. But that cost now seems a bit excessive to me. However, if you are after Rolls Royce service and quality, then these are certainly the guys to go to imo! At least in the Surrey area! Golf Principles on Basingstoke seem to be similar focus.
With the thechnology available these days, there's quite a lot of 'Club Pros' that can provide similar analysis more economically!

Last edited:

J55TTC

Head Pro
I was custom fit for my irons at Silvermere, couldn’t recommend them enough. First class service and proper balls for the fitting Srixon z-stars.

Thread starter #20

Traminator

Follow up now places are open again...

Spoke to Gavin at the GolfLab, he's rammed full for 4 weeks plus, fair play.

Spoke to Henry at Golf Principles, they can't do anything this week when I'm off but can next week when I'm working, couldn't quite arrange it unfortunately.

As my 3 wood cracked at the weekend ("smashed" a drive that flew 150 yards like a shuttlecock 🤷‍♂️), have booked in at Silvermere on Wednesday for a 90 minute woods only session, all the brands. Will do irons separately, maybe at Bearwood.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions, looking forward (not) to seeing how slow I'm swinging in my old age 🧓.