Driving ranges?

Chico84

Has anyone been to a Sandown Park?
Toptracer, 100 balls for £ 10 in an hour slot. Good availability, it seems.

I have driven past it on the way back from Silvermere on days I stop at Lidl, depending on traffic it is actually closer to me.
I’ve not been since lockdown but a mate has and said it was fine there. You need to book I think though. The other aspect is there is a grass area available too - very rare for a larger range.

Traminator

Our crown golf range is open but I prefer(ed) to go to Silvermere.
Sunbury charges £7 for 90 balls and do 30 minute slots. I don’t think/expect you have to hit 90 balls in 30 minutes?

The reason I go to Silvermere are toptracer, better range ball and wide enough booths for me to hit a driver.

I heard talk about Sunbury upgrading their range, but that was before Covid so I don’t know if they still think about it.

Btw, Crown has just sold a handful of clubs, maybe your range was part of it.
Actually what I like about this place, it's just basic, mats out in the open air in the elements.
Frustrating as a customer when you see a potentially very good facility run with such lacklustre.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I’ve not been since lockdown but a mate has and said it was fine there. You need to book I think though. The other aspect is there is a grass area available too - very rare for a larger range.
Just looked at that as it isn't too far. Might bear that in mind to go down and use the grass area for some pitching work (currently bookable next weekend if anyone is interested)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Hope they open soo, I’m currently fashioning a device to carry a couple of clubs with me on my daily cycle commute so I can swing by the range on the way home.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I thought your club had a short game area?
We are usually allowed to chip onto the putting green but this is prohibited as golfers are using it to putt on prior to starting on the 1st and they are concerned about too many people congregating around the area. I can pitch on the practice ground, but limited to short sessions and a max of 60 balls whereas Sandown can book 1 hour slots and 100 balls.

drive4show

Ryder Cup Winner
We are usually allowed to chip onto the putting green but this is prohibited as golfers are using it to putt on prior to starting on the 1st and they are concerned about too many people congregating around the area. I can pitch on the practice ground, but limited to short sessions and a max of 60 balls whereas Sandown can book 1 hour slots and 100 balls.
Ah OK. Our tee times are busy but fortunately the practice area is pretty quiet.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Needs a bit more as I cycle 10k over busy routes and average between 12 and 15kph depending on how much weaving around traffic I need to do. I don’t want to whack someone cycling the other way with a 7 iron head...
Tie it along the crossbar so the head is under the saddle. 7 - 9 mph isn't fast. :LOL: (Or is it a girl's bike without a crossbar?)

Thread starter #157

J55TTC

Head Pro
Went to Silvermere for one of the 50 minute slots this morning and they are dealing with the restrictions incredibly well. Very well organised from a chap on the drive informing you of what to do and where to go to the guys on the range ensuring everyone is safe. May be a bit pricey but it certainly is top notch and there was no restriction on balls, I think there was 120 in there but I didn't use them all. A chap a couple of bays down went through the 120 and they just topped it up for him. When I left they were wiping everything down despite me touching nothing but my own equipment (power tees)
Got a complimentary 2 ball sleeve of the new Taylormade Tour response as well - happy days.

larmen

Head Pro
Just booked a lesson at Silvermere for tomorrow, but short game. I will have a peek towards the range when walking there.

The issue with 120 balls for me is, after 70 I am well spent. I rather have an hour and 60 balls that 50 minutes and 120 balls.
Every pro tells you that 120 balls in 50 is not the way to spend time on the range.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
There are 2 ranges near me, a good one which is shut, and a scruffy one which is open. The scruffy one posted on FB that strict social distancing will be in operation, only every other bay open, so there may be a wait.

The weather was horrible this morning, so I thought I'd go up there and work on a few things. Got there, all seemed good. Shop was closed, but someone was sat behind a window taking payments (contactless) and dishing out baskets of balls. She said to me "it's quite busy, so you might have to come back here and wait". I wandered up, and thankfully the last 2 bays on the right were empty (the entrance is 4 or 5 bays in from the right), so I went in the end bay.

I started hitting, but when I got down to the last few balls, I noticed someone was in the bay behind me. A bit annoying, but I finished up, and turned to leave, only to see virtually every bay was full, no distancing going on at all.

Seriously, how difficult is it manage a range so that only 11 out of 22 bays are in use?

Pretty poor, I won't be going back there for a while (another annoyance is I have a prepaid card for there which I'm not allowed to use, and they have jacked their prices up to match the good range which is shut).

Thread starter #160

J55TTC

Head Pro
Popped in to MerristWood today for a bucket of balls and they have split their 100yard wide grass range into 6 bays. It’s all roped off and was very sensibly managed.
Shame about the divot etiquette...