DQ or not

Thread starter #1

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
We allow scores to be input by phone but insist on the cards being returned.

If the players card does not have their handicap on it is it an automatic DQ (which is my opinion) or not?

Traminator

If the players card does not have their handicap on it is it an automatic DQ (which is my opinion) or not?
Aren't the rules on who's responsible for what on the scorecard pretty clear?

Screenshot_20200629-214755.png

Thread starter #5

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Forget the question

Very tiring night have just inputed 135 cards with a lot of errors and very poor writing on many cards.

I read through the full rules book and have seen the wording. As it is a Stableford comp there is no penalty

Handicap on Scorecard Too High or No Handicap Shown. If this affects the number of strokes the player gets, the player is disqualified from the handicap competition. If it does not, there is no penalty.

rulefan

Tour Winner

Does the phone record have the handicap?

It is not necessary to physically return a scorecard to the Committee provided the Committee can accept the scores in another way • As provided in the Rules of Golf, scorecards can be electronic, which could include emailing or texting scores to the Committee.

Traminator

Forget the question

Very tiring night have just inputed 135 cards with a lot of errors and very poor writing on many cards.

I read through the full rules book and have seen the wording. As it is a Stableford comp there is no penalty

Handicap on Scorecard Too High or No Handicap Shown. If this affects the number of strokes the player gets, the player is disqualified from the handicap competition. If it does not, there is no penalty.
Screenshot_20200629-223119.png

I don't understand how you can quote the rule and say no penalty.

It clearly states that no handicap shown is DQ.

You state the cards must be returned, so no different from normal.

woofers

Medal Winner
I thought the current guidance was that handling of scorecards was to be minimised, inputting 135 cards seems to contradict this. How many were input via phone or App?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
I thought the current guidance was that handling of scorecards was to be minimised, inputting 135 cards seems to contradict this. How many were input via phone or App?
I regularly do over 60, no handling they, the marker, email me a simple spreadsheet that was set up or for the none IT they just put in the scores per hole (gross only to stop confusion). Takes a bit of time but it works as long as they remember.

Just waiting for Club Systems next release for HDID which will include the ability for the marker to put in his Playing Partners scores which will help considerably.

I regularly do over 60, no handling they, the marker, email me a simple spreadsheet that was set up or for the none IT they just put in the scores per hole (gross only to stop confusion). Takes a bit of time but it works as long as they remember.

Just waiting for Club Systems next release for HDID which will include the ability for the marker to put in his Playing Partners scores which will help considerably.
Are you sure, it's my understanding that the marker will simply confirm the score. Additionally, as I understand it, the R&A have only authorised the player marking and signing the card. If the market completes the scorecard a the players signature is still required. This will be to ensure there is a consequence for not submitting a score.

Traminator

Are you sure, it's my understanding that the marker will simply confirm the score. Additionally, as I understand it, the R&A have only authorised the player marking and signing the card.
This is my random irritation of the morning/hour (😉).

It is without doubt the only sensible option for the marker to complete the player's card, and for the marker to sign and the player to verbally confirm. The marker then submits a photo of the card for verification of the online scoring that the player has submitted.

Therefore, the player has electronically signed for his score when uploading, the marker has physically signed the card, a copy of which is there for all to see and not touch.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Are you sure, it's my understanding that the marker will simply confirm the score. Additionally, as I understand it, the R&A have only authorised the player marking and signing the card. If the market completes the scorecard a the players signature is still required. This will be to ensure there is a consequence for not submitting a score.
Yep and county is happy as it's only the true way to verify a score for those who seem to have little trust in playing partners. More open to scrutiny than a player submitting their own score via the available app although I would be happy with that seeing as we have the facility which is also an approved method of submitting scores.

This is my random irritation of the morning/hour (😉).

It is without doubt the only sensible option for the marker to complete the player's card, and for the marker to sign and the player to verbally confirm. The marker then submits a photo of the card for verification of the online scoring that the player has submitted.

Therefore, the player has electronically signed for his score when uploading, the marker has physically signed the card, a copy of which is there for all to see and not touch.
Seems sensible to me and within the rules, but don't think this is the system adopted by Old Skeir's club.

Thread starter #16

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Many thanks to all that answered .

With a much clearer head this morning all sorted.

I realised a slight misintepration of the new rule and automatic DQ applies.

I realised I really should not try to sort out this problems with a brain that is so frazzled.o_O

Finally go to appreciate first hand what the manager and secretary has to go through when they enter the cards manually.

Thread starter #17

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Does the phone record have the handicap?

It is not necessary to physically return a scorecard to the Committee provided the Committee can accept the scores in another way • As provided in the Rules of Golf, scorecards can be electronic, which could include emailing or texting scores to the Committee.
Thanks, but from our trials of electronic input only about a third of players used it.

We tried emails , text and photos but have given up on it. It created more problems than it solved and more work than manually inputting cards

Manually inputting the cards, as needed, is something that committee members like myself can do, without having access to the whole system, in the evening at home.

Colin L

Tour Winner
I have set up a simple Wix website with online forms for registration of supplementaries and return of scores. The forms go to a designated email address (could be more than one) from which the scores are entered into the Clubv1 system. Not all by me, as it is very simple in gmail to forward a batch of emails to someone else for them to enter. In addition to the email record, the website maintains an online record of form submissions. Submitting a score is considered verification of the score by the player and confirmation that it was verified orally by the marker. It's working very well and coped to date with 320 supplementaries in the space of 10 days. With a little adaptation, it will work well for competitions.
For the player it is a very quick and easy process.

rulefan

Tour Winner
I have set up a simple Wix website with online forms for registration of supplementaries and return of scores. The forms go to a designated email address (could be more than one) from which the scores are entered into the Clubv1 system. Not all by me, as it is very simple in gmail to forward a batch of emails to someone else for them to enter. In addition to the email record, the website maintains an online record of form submissions. Submitting a score is considered verification of the score by the player and confirmation that it was verified orally by the marker. It's working very well and coped to date with 320 supplementaries in the space of 10 days. With a little adaptation, it will work well for competitions.
Colin
Doesn't your ISV have the facility?

Thread starter #20

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
We are sticking with the app for SSs (which funnily enough went very well just the occasional no photo) but are still operating the manual system alongside it now that the Proshop is full open.

Slight difference between 130+ comp cards and a few SSs in a day.

We are about to issue all our briefings on the WHS so it will be interesting to see what increase we get in SSs after that.