Do Golf Balls Have a Shelf Life?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
I've seen a video demonstrating that cheap balls are typically less well balanced than premium ones and are therefore more likely to produce unwanted side spin and/or fail to roll properly when putting.

Float a ball in a bowl of salt water. Put a little dot on the top with a Sharpie. Spin the ball around. If when it comes to rest the dot returns back to the top, the ball is unbalanced. You want it to return to rest in a random position.

All that said, I don't consider myself a good enough golfer to pay for the likes of ProV1s and TP5s. Happy to use any that I find, though 😁
I do it the easy way I have a Technomatic ball spinner, I have been using it for over 10 years and never really noticed much difference between makes. It has the added advantage of putting a line up line on at the same time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I have loads of old Pro V and similar that must be 5-10 years old. I am working through all my old stock and either giving it away or leaving them out on the course in random spots to be found by other golfers (known as slicing and hooking). I have seen some of the data about off-centre cores and defective balls which you could argue would harm consumer confidence. That said, based on an average swing speed, how much extra deviation will it really add to the handicap golfer and what difference will they really see around he green

Crazyface

Tour Winner
I was told never to pick up balls on the course. They will have absorbed water. All balls absorb water, apparently. Even whilst sat in the box in the pro shop. So don't buy old balls either. Don't know if this is true.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I was told never to pick up balls on the course. They will have absorbed water. All balls absorb water, apparently. Even whilst sat in the box in the pro shop. So don't buy old balls either. Don't know if this is true.
This advice was clearly given by a golf ball salesman 😄

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Has your Pro shop had a major leak ?
Are all their balls submerged for 12 hours...?

Don't pick up balls from lakes and ponds..everything elemis fair game and any difference will be minimal

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner

Do you actually read the :poop: you post?

From the link;

Yes, golf balls do absorb water and it will affect the performance.

How much performance is lost or what affect is has on the ball will vary. It depends on the type of ball it is, how long it was submerged and the temperature of the water. Several things to know:

• It takes about 12 hours for water to penetrate the cover and start finding it’s way to the core.
So a golf ball, totally submerged in water will start to absorb water through the cover after 12 hours. I think the cardboard packaging in the pro shop might give the game away that there's an issue. As for a ball on the course, unless it's in a stream or lake, it's highly unlikely to be submerged.

Damn (surely and exclamation mark could be used here). My golf balls must all me unbalanced. That explains a lot. :ROFLMAO:
If there is something unbalanced in your game, my money's on something other than the ball... :rolleyes:

Foxholer

Major Champion
Generally speaking, no considering they’re stored in a room-temperature location. Unless you leave your golf balls exposed to high heat or extremely cold temperatures they should last forever.
Whether you are an avid golfer or just picking up the sport, the golf ball is the most important tool in your bag. For this reason, it is important for you to know when to switch for an old ball for a new one.

Golf balls in 2020 consist of a three-piece solid core. These balls are typically geared towards intermediate/advanced golfers. This is reflected in the price as well as the technical aspect.
Unless you know how the control a golf ball while playing, it will never matter which one you buy. After you find the right ball, you are happy to spend the money knowing you’ll obtain your desired results (i.e. lowering your handicap).
The golf ball is made up of a solid rubber center (sometimes liquid-center) that is intertwined by elastic bands. Most avid golfers claim a golf ball (when they’re not on tour) can last a few weeks.

Unless they appear to be nicked, scratched, or waterlogged than you should be okay. If you think your golf ball has gone bad try juggling it on an iron (like Tiger) a few times. You should get a good sense of its quality from the noise and bounces.
Well it was all quite good until then! o_O
The wound (Haskell) ball was superceded in about 1967 by solid core, Suralyn covered ones! There's been further development and variation from one-piece to 5 piece since then (not solely 3 piece cores) along with Urethane Elastomer covers being 'preferred' for premiun balls. Dimple shapes and patterns also vary between/within manufacturers.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Do you actually read the :poop: you post?

From the link;

Yes, golf balls do absorb water and it will affect the performance.

How much performance is lost or what affect is has on the ball will vary. It depends on the type of ball it is, how long it was submerged and the temperature of the water. Several things to know:

• It takes about 12 hours for water to penetrate the cover and start finding it’s way to the core.
So a golf ball, totally submerged in water will start to absorb water through the cover after 12 hours. I think the cardboard packaging in the pro shop might give the game away that there's an issue. As for a ball on the course, unless it's in a stream or lake, it's highly unlikely to be submerged.

If there is something unbalanced in your game, my money's on something other than the ball... :rolleyes:
A tad harsh seeing as it seems, according to the article the information I had been given was correct. But it seems you only post on here to have arguements with people. Maybe you should change your picture to Victor Meldrew? And you obviously don't understand my jokes, see my last line. Still I'll forgive you for that not everyone if on the same wavelength.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Titleist have confirmed that if a ball core is off centre by the width of a credit card the dispersion of that ball will double.
Some cores are 3 or 4 credit cards worth off...that's quite a bit of extra dispersion
It possibly/probably is but I bet most of us this forum regularly miss the sweet spot on the club by at least that distance 😀

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
It possibly/probably is but I bet most of us this forum regularly miss the sweet spot on the club by at least that distance 😀
The sweet spot, hitting it or otherwise, is irrelevant to this.
Your shot, wherever you strike it and wherever it's going, is going twice as far off line if the core of your ball is off centre by the width of a credit card....
So your 30 yard slice becomes 60 or your 5 yard fade becomes 10.