Diesels - do they have a future?

Thread starter #21

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
LB - Your style of journeys are actually very similar to mine, I do more longer ones but otherwise very similar. A diesel will not give you any problems based on those figures. The Superb seems a step up from the Octavia, that is my viewing of it. Huge boot for all your golf gubbins as well :thup:
Yup, I can get 4 sets in the Octavia, if you lay the woods across the top, and the Superb's is even bigger again.

Junior

Tour Winner
I think for what your looking ot pay mate a diesel is the best option. As others have mentioned , the DPF can become blocked if only used on short trips, so its important to get it on a motorway and get the revs up in the low gears to generate enough heat so the DPF 'regenerates (burns away the soot so it doesn't get blocked etc).

If you were looking to get something newer (say £10-£12k), there are lots of petrol engines now that produce enough 'pull' and still give great mileage. The wife has a 1.2 Nissan Quashqai and gets around 45/50 mpg. I'm sure with your powers of negotiation you could work your magic :)

Fish

Major Champion
Jeez, I didn't know about all these cheap car taxes, I knew there were some discounts for engine sizes but not as low as has been stated.

I'm sure my wife's little 1.0l Micra still costs her around £145, why 🤔

Junior

Tour Winner
Jeez, I didn't know about all these cheap car taxes, I knew there were some discounts for engine sizes but not as low as has been stated.

I'm sure my wife's little 1.0l Micra still costs her around £145, why 樂
CO2 emissions mate. The government are cottoning on though.... I wouldn't be surprised if the govt announce a new structure whereby the only low tax car's are Electric and EPG.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
CO2 emissions mate. The government are cottoning on though.... I wouldn't be surprised if the govt announce a new structure whereby the only low tax car's are Electric and EPG.
They are....the car tax system changes this April I think it is. Only electric will be zero tax I think , every thing else will be £140, unless it cost more than £40k:)

Fish

Major Champion
They are....the car tax system changes this April I think it is. Only electric will be zero tax I think , every thing else will be £140, unless it cost more than £40k:)
Everything, so no more £20, £30 etc?

What about big engines, my CLK costs over a £140 for 6 months 😡

Khamelion

Tour Winner
All cars registered before 1st April 2017 will continue to pay whatever tax they currently pay. If the car is sold after the 1st April the new owner will pay the new tax depending on car type (Petrol, diesel, hybrid, electric)

All cars registered after 1st April 2017 will pay £140, Electric are zero tax, with alternative fueled cars like Hybrids and LPG being charged £130.

Cars over £40,000 get their tax based on their emissions for the first year, then for the year after and up to 5yrs in total the tax is based on the car type (Petrol, Diesel, Electric, Hybrid), plus an additional £310

IainP

Tour Rookie
Just had a read up, looks like I can continue with £10 a year tax for my 200BHP diesel for a while longer, phew :thup:
Sorry Fish :)

Thread starter #34

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
I think for what your looking ot pay mate a diesel is the best option. As others have mentioned , the DPF can become blocked if only used on short trips, so its important to get it on a motorway and get the revs up in the low gears to generate enough heat so the DPF 'regenerates (burns away the soot so it doesn't get blocked etc).

If you were looking to get something newer (say £10-£12k), there are lots of petrol engines now that produce enough 'pull' and still give great mileage. The wife has a 1.2 Nissan Quashqai and gets around 45/50 mpg. I'm sure with your powers of negotiation you could work your magic :)
What do you know, I still remember Perkins struggling with emissions in the early 90's - they were miles behind Deutz! :D

Cheers fella.:thup:

IainP

Tour Rookie
@OP
Been in a couple of Superbs recently (taxis) and they did seem very spacious.
Think diesels are typically a little more to service.
Whatever you go for hope it works out well.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Hate to say it, but he'd be very lucky to get a newer 1.2 engined Qashqai for £10-£12k.
And the road tax on one of those is £110.00 a year....;);)
Avoid the earlier 1.6 petrol engined QQ like the plague. Absolutely gutless in comparison, and drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion because you've got to wring it's neck to get any kind of performance out of it.
The Skoda's he's looking at are a sound choice. Me? I'd be buying a decent Diesel version from a main dealer.

Junior

Tour Winner
Hate to say it, but he'd be very lucky to get a newer 1.2 engined Qashqai for £10-£12k.
And the road tax on one of those is £110.00 a year....;);)
Avoid the earlier 1.6 petrol engined QQ like the plague. Absolutely gutless in comparison, and drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion because you've got to wring it's neck to get any kind of performance out of it.
The Skoda's he's looking at are a sound choice. Me? I'd be buying a decent Diesel version from a main dealer.
Yeah, I agree, A diesel would be the best bet for what LB described. I had a quick squint on autotrader when I posted this yesterday and saw £12k was at a push for the Qashqai (below). With his powers of negotiation though i'm sure he could grind them down :)  

100% with you on the 1.6. The missus had a Juke previously and it wouldn't pull you out of bed.  

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif... New&onesearchad=New&postcode=wa139nw&page=1 

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Having read quite a few articles on Cashcarts needing a new 1.2 engine at no age I wouldn't even think of wasting my money on one.