Damage to the hole.

Thread starter #1
Ryan Moore got a hole in one on 17th sawgrass .
The hole was damaged but commentators said he can’t repair the hole or he will get a par with a two shot penalty.
What is the procedure here if the holes damaged before the other players putt.

What does Materially damaged mean in the Saturday comp.?

pauldj42

Money List Winner
I believe previously in a comp you had to get the committee to repair it, if they are not readily available you can repair it yourself.
Didn’t the new changes allow you to repair all damage on a green.

Last edited:
Thread starter #3
I believe previously in a comp you had to get the committee to repair it, if they are not readily available you can repair it yourself.
Didn’t the new changes allow you to repair all damage on a green.
Not according to Rich Beem.
It says in the rule Materially damaged but what’s the definition of Materially.

You can't see something that doesn't exist. Materially is not used in Rule 13.1c or its related Interpretations.
Mr Beem is way off beam.
Unfortunately, l find that trying to convince someone of something that is not written down to be one of the hardest things to do on the golf course.

"You can't do that"
"I can"
"You can't, it's not allowed"
"Ok, show me the rule which it says it''s not allowed"
"You show me where it says it is allowed"
"I can't, because it doesn't say that"
"See, it's not allowed"
"No, it is allowed, because nowhere does it say it's not allowed."
"But, it doesn't say it is allowed"
"No"
"So it's not allowed"

Head, wall, bang ...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Unfortunately, l find that trying to convince someone of something that is not written down to be one of the hardest things to do on the golf course.

"You can't do that"
"I can"
"You can't, it's not allowed"
"Ok, show me the rule which it says it''s not allowed"
"You show me where it says it is allowed"
"I can't, because it doesn't say that"
"See, it's not allowed"
"No, it is allowed, because nowhere does it say it's not allowed."
"But, it doesn't say it is allowed"
"No"
"So it's not allowed"

Head, wall, bang ...
Start by agreeing that you are allowed to walk on the course....then agree that there is no rule stating that you can walk on the course - which settles the head banging argument.

Thread starter #14
Please can you point me to the rule where it says that, I can't see it.
USGA faqs.
Think this is the old rule he’s referring to which has Materially in it.

This is the first thing that came up when I googled it ,if this is the old rule the USGA need to update their website as I couldn’t see any date on the web post.

Attachments

Last edited:
We need to be very careful with information we find on rules and make sure it relates to the 2019 Rules and not to the previous ones. Mr Google doesn't make the distinction when he looks for stuff.

If what you find shows a rule number, the easy check is that the old rules used a dash between the number and letter as in 16-1 in that FAQ. The current rules use a full stop as in 13.1 the relevant rule for repairing damage to the green. 13.1c(2) is the exact reference.

Thread starter #16
We need to be very careful with information we find on rules and make sure it relates to the 2019 Rules and not to the previous ones. Mr Google doesn't make the distinction when he looks for stuff.

If what you find shows a rule number, the easy check is that the old rules used a dash between the number and letter as in 16-1 in that FAQ. The current rules use a full stop as in 13.1 the relevant rule for repairing damage to the green. 13.1c(2) is the exact reference.
Yes agree but I was just quoting what commentators said on tv.
This is the first thing that came up on google the only way to tell is the rule number is different.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Thanks... I wasnt too clear on that, Beemer sent viewers down a blind alley last night then?
As, unfortunately, they all do from time to time (usually whilst focusing on blaming the new rules, new rule makers, etc etc at the same time). The critical thing is that it's sensational news, from them, first...accuracy and balance are now a thing of the past 👎🏼