Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Just reading the news that Testing along Tracing is going to be key to returning to school/normal life. I thought the Govt convinced us that the Track & Trace app was no longer a priority... have a missed something in the weeks that i stopped looking at our spin doctors yarns

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Just reading the news that Testing along Tracing is going to be key to returning to school/normal life. I thought the Govt convinced us that the Track & Trace app was no longer a priority... have a missed something in the weeks that i stopped looking at our spin doctors yarns
I'm also not sure why this is news, it has always been the case since they first started talking about bringing kids back to school, the test and trace has to work really well. It was one of the key requirements stated by the government at the time.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Exam results day in Scotland seems to have gone off OK.
Before the results were announced many pupils perhaps wishing that they had been much nicer to their class teachers throughout the year.:LOL:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
I'm also not sure why this is news, it has always been the case since they first started talking about bringing kids back to school, the test and trace has to work really well. It was one of the key requirements stated by the government at the time.
Testing is working very well now. As an NHS worker, HID was given priority for a drive in.. all worked smoothly.

Where is Tracing? The app was the holy grail

The U.K. population has certainly proved itself to be dense.

Sorry. Couldn’t resist the temptation.
The UK population can't be dense as we are advised that it is intelligent enough to understand the myriad intricate complexities of international trade, partnerships and governance. Sorry - couldn't resist the temptation either :)

drdel

Tour Rookie
The UK population can't be dense as we are advised that it is intelligent enough to understand the myriad intricate complexities of international trade, partnerships and governance. Sorry - couldn't resist the temptation either :)
And the vast majority of those making the decisions are intelligent and competent.

chrisd

Major Champion
The UK population look to have been lucky enough in their ignorance to have scooped the prize of not bailing out the EU coronavirus costs as well as a huge increase in the new budget 👍

drdel

Tour Rookie
The UK population look to have been lucky enough in their ignorance to have scooped the prize of not bailing out the EU coronavirus costs as well as a huge increase in the new budget 👍
And UK has signed contracts for the supply of several vaccine options against COVID 19. The EU are still thinking about their procurement and distribution strategy.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Sometimes, even when you might think you’re right, you should just keep your hands in your pockets otherwise you just confirm what people think.;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Sometimes, even when you might think you’re right, you should just keep your hands in your pockets otherwise you just confirm what people think.;)
Let's be honest Brian, we all know that in a couple of years he'll be all over Brexit and how good it's been - just in the same way he posted 10,000 times on dmd's, then eventually bought one - it's only a matter of time 😁

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
And UK has signed contracts for the supply of several vaccine options against COVID 19. The EU are still thinking about their procurement and distribution strategy.
This government also signed contracts with a ferry company with only a few quid in the bank and no ships.
Plus contracts with some T&T companies that did not seem to have any idea what they should be doing.
Plus millions of pounds contracts going to companies without tendering.
Don't hold your breath.

Ethan

Money List Winner
The EU has a massive advantage that it controls a medicine approval system, second only to FDA, and vaccines are included in it. The UK MHRA, which is not even properly revived yet, needs to get a move on, but is now a third tier system. The EU therefore can align EMA approval and review processes with procurement and take more time to evaluate a larger number of vaccine programmes, including agreements on faster approval where appropriate, rather than just lob money at a couple. The UK could have remained part of that EMA approval system and would therefore could have had the same vaccines approved here in parallel. The EU is taking a rational, considered and integrated approach to this.

Last edited:

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
The EU has a massive advantage that it controls a medicine approval system, second only to FDA, and vaccines are included in it. The UK MHRA, which is not even properly revived yet, needs to get a move on, but is now a third tier system. The EU therefore can align EMA approval and review processes with procurement and take more time to evaluate a larger number of vaccine programmes, including agreements on faster approval where appropriate, rather than just lob money at a couple. The UK could have remained part of that EMA approval system and would therefore could have had the same vaccines approved here in parallel. The EU is taking a rational, considered and integrated approach to this.
Was there a specific reason for EMA taking nearly a month longer than UK to approve the use of remdesivir?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Was there a specific reason for EMA taking nearly a month longer than UK to approve the use of remdesivir?
I'm not sure that is the case. Remdesivir has been available under a named patient program (aka early access to medicines scheme) in the jurisdiction of the EMA (including the UK) for the last 5 years for Ebola. The EMA expanded their scientific advice in April to include certain presentations of Covid. The MHRA did so in May. The EMA has gone on to a conditional marketing approval which is a step further than an early access scheme.

Remedsivir has a modest but important effect on time to recovery, so in my opinion the approval was reasonable for the benefit and risk seen and the process conducted very quickly. The EMA is a good and rational regulator. Ironically the MHRA used to have a huge influence on it and helped develop many of the procedures used, before being forced to drop out entirely.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
It generally is not so great.... I do like crowd less football though, reduces the racist abuse to just the pitch.
Beaches are going to be packed from Friday onwards as the temperature will be high, will be interesting to see what the plan is.

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
I'm not sure that is the case. Remdesivir has been available under a named patient program (aka early access to medicines scheme) in the jurisdiction of the EMA (including the UK) for the last 5 years for Ebola. The EMA expanded their scientific advice in April to include certain presentations of Covid. The MHRA did so in May. The EMA has gone on to a conditional marketing approval which is a step further than an early access scheme.

Remedsivir has a modest but important effect on time to recovery, so in my opinion the approval was reasonable for the benefit and risk seen and the process conducted very quickly. The EMA is a good and rational regulator. Ironically the MHRA used to have a huge influence on it and helped develop many of the procedures used, before being forced to drop out entirely.
I may be wrong but I seem to remember it being approved for certain cases in the UK from 26 May but similar approval in Europe didn't come until 20 June.

I wondered if there had been some specific doubts with the treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.