Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Come on, for goodness sake.
Your last two paras have the inference that the lack of S D and mask use is down to "not ramming the message home" and again it is because the government haven't done this properly or that properly....
It is because these people choose to ignore the advice ( which they very well understand) that you saw what you saw.
As for the 14%, it is more a comment on the indiscipline and selfishness of today's society, with a good measure of stupidity thrown in, than it is with the official advice not being clear.
All very well and good - but I am only mentioning the Public Information getting 'hammered home' (my words) as that is what Hancock has been saying this morning as he said he recognises the need to make sure that everyone does have the information that they need given where we are today - and that the guidance is clear and cannot be missed. So Hancock himself was implying that for some the message is not getting through - and indeed that the messaging has to get better as iin more forceful?

And 14% just indiscipline?. Not sure that stating when questioned that you don't understand the rules fully is the same as being undisciplined or selfish. Some on here claim to understand the rules but have said that they will choose to ignore them - indeed one of my golfing buddies on Saturday said exactly that to me. I cannot say that I fully understand them as I do not - but I adhere to the very basics that I DO understand.

Foxholer

Major Champion
You may have not noticed but the global economy is fluctuating. The UK is in a relatively good state. Having left the EU we have better levers of control with our own currency and the BOE to address the consequences of COVID and Brexit.
Re the Bold bit....It would, however, be an immense stretch of the imagination to believe it's in a 'good' state though. The effect of C19 has probably been - and will be - much worse than the Banking Crisis that wiped Labour's credibility with the electorate!

Re the Italicised bit...UK ALWAYS had our own currency and the BOE - even while in the EU - so that 'argument' is irrelevant!

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Off the top of my head I honestly don't know. I think that it depends upon where you are; who you are with; how many of you there are in your group; how many are in another group you associate with; whether you are inside or out; or in the Manchester; East Lancs; West Yorkshire area...

If I am exaggerating the variations then tell me - because I am frankly now lost.
General rule for pubs and restaurants, no masks, groups of no more than 6, groups at least 1m apart. Pubs round me are pretty sorted on this, turn up and they will seat your group according to the rules.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Off the top of my head I honestly don't know. I think that it depends upon where you are; who you are with; how many of you there are in your group; how many are in another group you associate with; whether you are inside or out; or in the Manchester; East Lancs; West Yorkshire area...

If I am exaggerating the variations then tell me - because I am frankly now lost.
Instead of listening to what you want to hear listen to what is being said. The underlying tone is "If you don't stop being selfish, interpreting the rules in a way that suits you and play the I'm confused tag as you feel fit, the restrictions will get worse." Shame that political correctness stops them from saying it in my opinion.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Re the Bold bit....It would, however, be an immense stretch of the imagination to believe it's in a 'good' state though. The effect of C19 has probably been - and will be - much worse than the Banking Crisis that wiped Labour's credibility with the electorate!

Re the Italicised bit...UK ALWAYS had our own currency and the BOE - even while in the EU - so that 'argument' is irrelevant!
I'm more worried about the fact our economy seems to mostly rely on people buying pasties from Greggs and burger and chips from Wetherspoons. I'd of hoped it was a bit more structurally sound and be better able to withstand the odd crisis here and there. But seems not, so I best get down the spoons as soon as poss.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
you'd have to be a bit of a wombat to think you can shut down an economy without any adverse impact. But there are plenty of those about! :)
And many will be quick to blame the incumbent government forgetting that a major part of our economy is hospitality which suffered some of the heaviest loses and required substantially assist fro the various government schemes.

While we as a nation prefere quantity over quality this will be a problem.

General rule for pubs and restaurants, no masks, groups of no more than 6, groups at least 1m apart. Pubs round me are pretty sorted on this, turn up and they will seat your group according to the rules.
Well many of the folks we saw sitting outside our local pub were not adhering to that.

Instead of listening to what you want to hear listen to what is being said. The underlying tone is "If you don't stop being selfish, interpreting the rules in a way that suits you and play the I'm confused tag as you feel fit, the restrictions will get worse." Shame that political correctness stops them from saying it in my opinion.
Nothing to do with what I want to hear - I'm trying to understand them all - and it's a moving feast. 14% say they fully understand ALL of the rules - in a poll why would the 86% say that they don't understand all the rules if they did. I understand some of the rules - I do not understand all of the rules for all different scenarios. If you have listened to Hancock at all today you'll hear how on top of the rules and the rationale for them that he is.

I do not have any personal issue. If I am not sure about what I can or cannot do in any coming scenario I might be involved in then I look it up - and if I don't like what I read then I don't do it.

But I look at what I see happening out there and - if I go down your route - there are too many who are choosing to do pretty much what they want with the excuse of 'it's too complicated, I don't really understand'. Well the government needs to kill that as an excuse, and get back to the sort of very simple message we had at the outset - a message that we all understood completely. Because on the road we are on at the moment I fear that we are heading to a difficult place.

[EDIT]Just heard that Johnson agrees. Message has to be as simple as possible. So Hands, Face, Space.

Last edited:

pauldj42

Money List Winner
And many will be quick to blame the incumbent government forgetting that a major part of our economy is hospitality which suffered some of the heaviest loses and required substantially assist fro the various government schemes.

While we as a nation prefere quantity over quality this will be a problem.
That goes with the terroritory doesn’t it? :unsure: Anything bad happening during the period a party is in power they get the blame.;)

Swinglowandslow

Nothing to do with what I want to hear - I'm trying to understand them all - and it's a moving feast. 14% say they fully understand ALL of the rules - in a poll why would the 86% say that they don't understand all the rules if they did. I understand some of the rules - I do not understand all of the rules for all different scenarios. If you have listened to Hancock at all today you'll hear how on top of the rules and the rationale for them that he is.

I do not have any personal issue. If I am not sure about what I can or cannot do in any coming scenario I might be involved in then I look it up - and if I don't like what I read then I don't do it.

But I look at what I see happening out there and - if I go down your route - there are too many who are choosing to do pretty much what they want with the excuse of 'it's too complicated, I don't really understand'. Well the government needs to kill that as an excuse, and get back to the sort of very simple message we had at the outset - a message that we all understood completely. Because on the road we are on at the moment I fear that we are heading to a difficult place.

[EDIT]Just heard that Johnson agrees. Message has to be as simple as possible. So Hands, Face, Space.
This is getting frustrating. Read your bit in bold again ( just so you understand, I agree with what it says) . Because you wrote it, I suppose you agree with what it says.
It says that people understand but choose to ignore.
How is the government needing to kill that as an excuse.? It's a plain case of refusing to do something you know you should do.
Saying the government need to do something is implying they haven't done all they should have done
( your favourite pastime).
The responsibility for" not doing what is needed", which is what you rightly describe in bold, - is that of the idiots being the many who are choosing...etc.
No one else's, period.

Last edited:

Kellfire

Tour Winner
Certain demographics are taking the attitude their social lives are more important than containing the virus and the rest of society has to share the burden of their actions. Completely selfish but not unexpected.
I have friends who simply won’t comply with the guidance and it’s come close to causing massive arguments. When smart, educated people are buying into conspiracy theories you know times are crazy.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
There are issues with ALL age groups, yes, some worse than others and at times all have “out done” each other, but some of the behaviour is down to how the information related to the virus has been communicated by the various Governments around the World and the W.H.O. before and during this pandemic.

drdel

Tour Rookie
I have friends who simply won’t comply with the guidance and it’s come close to causing massive arguments. When smart, educated people are buying into conspiracy theories you know times are crazy.
I'm afraid I have friends who refuse to take the restrictions on board. One is a MD of medium size business, another's family is in the medical profession. Unbelievable!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
When smart, educated people are buying into conspiracy theories you know times are crazy.
When smart educated people look at scandanavian shaped elephants in the room, examine death rates for the last 3 months, consider the generational damage to public health, the economy, our culture and education bought upon us by the government's policies, perhaps you should think again, rather than dismissing them?

Kellfire

Tour Winner
When smart educated people look at scandanavian shaped elephants in the room, examine death rates for the last 3 months, consider the generational damage to public health, the economy, our culture and education bought upon us by the government's policies, perhaps you should think again, rather than dismissing them?
Erm, what? I don’t get the point you’re making because the people I’m talking about certainly aren’t doing these things. They’re saying it’s a conspiracy to control us and that masks don’t work.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
I'm afraid I have friends who refuse to take the restrictions on board. One is a MD of medium size business, another's family is in the medical profession. Unbelievable!
It's certainly strange, I have a mate who is an ex brain surgeon, now a GP, smartest man I know by a country mile, but he is so against the lockdown and facemasks it's unreal.