Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
I don't think I am a moderator any more. Don't have the moderation tools.
You might want to try and lose the “Global Moderator” tag, then.

Everyone has their own debating style, but choosing the one you do, given the suggestion you are a moderator, perhaps isn’t particularly helpful to those who do moderate this forum.

(Mod Edit, Global Mod tag removed and a word had, naughty step beckons)

Last edited by a moderator:
The big “cock up” that was made in respect of the latest “lockdown” imo, was releasing it on twitter late at night.

Is that really the way a Government should be releasing the decision and information to those affected by it, surely a news conference or a press release is more appropriate than a series of “tweets”
I didn't really want to bring that up...but it doesn't help - and though Hancock was firm on the need to apply the restrictions immediately (OK) - he said he'd been in discussions with Andy Burnham on it for a week or so. Did the notification really then need to be 3hrs notice at 9pm - by twitter? What's that all about. Government by twitter...:(

Old Skier

Tour Winner
And have we got back on track? Or have others come along and continued the one sided comments adding nothing to thread?

Funny how nobody on the right of politics is discussed in this manner or if it’s perceived “your” face fits, you can post away.
Come on, not agreeing to some of your politics doesn’t necessarily mean your on the right of politics. It’s just unfortunate that the man decides to throw a hand grenade in the thread using confrontational language knowing that it will get a response that it did.

Unfortunate but it is Friday.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
I didn't really want to bring that up...but it doesn't help - and though Hancock was firm on the need to apply the restrictions immediately (OK) - he said he'd been in discussions with Andy Burnham on it for a week or so. Did the notification really then need to be 3hrs notice at 9pm - by twitter? What's that all about. Government by twitter...:(
Perhaps a figure had been agreed with the relevant local authorities and it was hit yesterday.

Ministers should stay away from social media and Starmer was right, this should have been announced by news conference at the time.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Come on, not agreeing to some of your politics doesn’t necessarily mean your on the right of politics. It’s just unfortunate that the man decides to throw a hand grenade in the thread using confrontational language knowing that it will get a response that it did.

Unfortunate but it is Friday.
I voted Leave, I ignored him,

Choices are:
Like it (like minded)
Ignore (live with it)
Report (hope the mods agree)
Respond (risk inflaming the situation)

What happened? Yet nobody has took the responder to task? Why? Because people had the choices above.

As for the global moderator against his name, report it and ask, didn’t a mod recently amend the title of a forum user and people thought it was funny. (Including me)

drdel

Tour Rookie
You are a bit of a hypocrite, aren’t you? In an earlier thread you impugned my professional credentials, without stating your own, but when I called you on it, (1) you slunk off and said nothing. And now you lecture me on respect?

If you don’t like what I write, and (2) you haven’t the Titleists to respond to the substance, then show your disapproval by ignoring it

(3) The U.K. economy is not in a good state. It is expected to do worst of major European economies, it has already well ahead in terms of decline. Adding Brexit to Covid is utterly reckless and will cause untold unnecessary damage. As for our currency, we were never in the Euro and had control of our currency, for all the good it did.
1. Never 'slunk' off anywhere: you were (as you well know) merely baiting for the sake of an argument not debate. I did not use insulting language I robustly challenged the opinions you made as statements of fact because I disagreed.

3. Childish

2. These are your opinions and not fact. UK is not in a "worst state" the major EU members - France, Spain and Italy etc are in decline >10%, Germany is also expected to hit 10% decline. Nowhere did I say we were in the Euro. Brexit is the outcome of a democratically executed process that needs to be concluded swiftly to provide investment, business and security stability. COVID is a novel virus impacting globally the UK does not have the control. The UK can address the issues concurrently and will do so: reckless' is an opinion.

As for the suggestion "..for all the good it did.." The BoE has used measured QE and other levers which enabled a better response to 2007/8 than many others.

Back to topic?

Slab

Money List Winner
The big “cock up” that was made in respect of the latest “lockdown” imo, was releasing it on twitter late at night.

Is that really the way a Government should be releasing the decision and information to those affected by it, surely a news conference or a press release is more appropriate than a series of “tweets”
When I read about that it brought back memories of them changing the lock-down here from 'confinement' when we went to bed into 'curfew' when we woke up next morning with zero food shops open :eek: (that'll make you ration your cornflakes)

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Because many if not most of the folks sitting at tables outside the town pub that me and my Mrs walked past last night did not seem to be obeying the basic rules...of social distancing and masks. That might not matter at the moment in my town as virus in the community might be very low. But if the virus gets into our community - and we won't know it's there until it's blowing up - the behaviours we saw last night could well result in problems.
What is the rule in the UK when you're sitting at a table in a pub/restaurant? In Spain, when beyond your front door, just about the only time you can take your mask off is when sitting at a table in a bar/restaurant or on the beach. After all, it is kinda hard drinking your pint with a mask on...;)

Swinglowandslow

Listening to Matt Hancock this morning explaining the 'Northern Restrictions' - I wish he had sounded more sure of what he was saying - he was often really hesitant when questioned.

If there is one minister I still have some residual faith in in respect of understanding the pandemic then it is he (Sunak has done what he basically had to do)...and so when Hancock sounds like he's struggling I do find that a real concern. If he struggles to explain things simply and clearly, then what hope has the public got of understanding all the IF...THEN..ELSE scenarios. I heard reported this morning a survey that has found that 14% of those asked felt they fully understood the rules. And that's really not good.

At least Hancock was clear on one thing - that there is going to be a real push on the Public Information front - to ram the message home to us all. Hopefully it will focus on the basics of what we all MUST be doing at the moment - just leave the various scenarios aside for the moment.

Because many if not most of the folks sitting at tables outside the town pub that me and my Mrs walked past last night did not seem to be obeying the basic rules...of social distancing and masks. That might not matter at the moment in my town as virus in the community might be very low. But if the virus gets into our community - and we won't know it's there until it's blowing up - the behaviours we saw last night could well result in problems.
Come on, for goodness sake.
Your last two paras have the inference that the lack of S D and mask use is down to "not ramming the message home" and again it is because the government haven't done this properly or that properly....
It is because these people choose to ignore the advice ( which they very well understand) that you saw what you saw.
As for the 14%, it is more a comment on the indiscipline and selfishness of today's society, with a good measure of stupidity thrown in, than it is with the official advice not being clear.

Ethan

Money List Winner
1. Never 'slunk' off anywhere: you were (as you well know) merely baiting for the sake of an argument not debate. I did not use insulting language I robustly challenged the opinions you made as statements of fact because I disagreed.

3. Childish

2. These are your opinions and not fact. UK is not in a "worst state" the major EU members - France, Spain and Italy etc are in decline >10%, Germany is also expected to hit 10% decline. Nowhere did I say we were in the Euro. Brexit is the outcome of a democratically executed process that needs to be concluded swiftly to provide investment, business and security stability. COVID is a novel virus impacting globally the UK does not have the control. The UK can address the issues concurrently and will do so: reckless' is an opinion.

As for the suggestion "..for all the good it did.." The BoE has used measured QE and other levers which enabled a better response to 2007/8 than many others.

Back to topic?
Rubbish. You never previously justified any of the assertions you presented as fact. Nor did you provide credentials so that anyone could judge if you knew what you were talking about. The username "Drdel" should have alerted people to some ego issues, though.

The UK is currently in slower decline because it was previously in greater decline. It is simply waiting at the bottom of the valley to see who else will fall in. you mentioned control of our currency. That implied the EU had some control over it. They didn't.

Brexit is the result of a feud in the Tory party which resulted in a consultative referendum based on a set of promises to the electorate almost all of which have now been abandoned.

The UK controlled its own response to Covid and few disagree that it has been an utter shambles. Germany did several orders of magnitude better. The economic effects will be bad, and adding the effects of Brexit to those is reckless. It is the opinion of Nobel wining ecionmicts that is so.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Rubbish. You never previously justified any of the assertions you presented as fact. Nor did you provide credentials so that anyone could judge if you knew what you were talking about. The username "Drdel" should have alerted people to some ego issues, though.

The UK is currently in slower decline because it was previously in greater decline. It is simply waiting at the bottom of the valley to see who else will fall in. you mentioned control of our currency. That implied the EU had some control over it. They didn't.

Brexit is the result of a feud in the Tory party which resulted in a consultative referendum based on a set of promises to the electorate almost all of which have now been abandoned.

The UK controlled its own response to Covid and few disagree that it has been an utter shambles. Germany did several orders of magnitude better. The economic effects will be bad, and adding the effects of Brexit to those is reckless. It is the opinion of Nobel wining ecionmicts that is so.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: "Nor did you provide credentials....":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its just a discussion forum, not flippin' some gentleman's club in London for toffs... "provide credentials..." pompous or what!?! Sorry Ethan but that's hilarious. And have you scanned yours in so that we can review them??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jeez, this has got to be the best laugh ever on here... "Provide credentials..." oh my sides...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
What is the rule in the UK when you're sitting at a table in a pub/restaurant? In Spain, when beyond your front door, just about the only time you can take your mask off is when sitting at a table in a bar/restaurant or on the beach. After all, it is kinda hard drinking your pint with a mask on...;)
You don't need to wear a mask in a pub, restaurant or cafe. You had to wear one in a shop / retail space but that has been expanded today to some other places such as museums and similar. In all honesty, if it is indoors and you are not eating or drinking then you put one on. Pretty simple unless you are one of the people looking for a get out, no I don't mean those with medical reasons for not wearing one.

You don't have to wear one when walking about, only when you enter somewhere.

Ethan

Money List Winner
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: "Nor did you provide credentials....":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its just a discussion forum, not flippin' some gentleman's club in London for toffs... "provide credentials..." pompous or what!?! Sorry Ethan but that's hilarious. And have you scanned yours in so that we can review them??? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jeez, this has got to be the best laugh ever on here... "Provide credentials..." oh my sides...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
He waffled on using technical jargon, as if he knew what he was talking about, and at the same time criticised my expertise, which I had previously described. I wanted to know if he was an expert in the area of modelling. In science, you check the provenance of opinions and their stated facts. Not to provide them is hypocritical.

I really couldn't give a toss if your sides split or not as a result.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
He waffled on using technical jargon, as if he knew what he was talking about, and at the same time criticised my expertise, which I had previously described. I wanted to know if he was an expert in the area of modelling. In science, you check the provenance of opinions and their stated facts. Not to provide them is hypocritical.

I really couldn't give a toss if your sides split or not as a result.
You crack on mate. .

Last edited by a moderator:
Off the top of my head I honestly don't know. I think that it depends upon where you are; who you are with; how many of you there are in your group; how many are in another group you associate with; whether you are inside or out; or in the Manchester; East Lancs; West Yorkshire area...

If I am exaggerating the variations then tell me - because I am frankly now lost.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Off the top of my head I honestly don't know. I think that it depends upon where you are; who you are with; how many of you there are in your group; how many are in another group you associate with; whether you are inside or out; or in the Manchester; East Lancs; West Yorkshire area...

If I am exaggerating the variations then tell me - because I am frankly now lost.
People here in Mojacar are struggling to understand whats going on too. Many locals don't want tourists but obviously the bar owners etc do. Today's headline in the local press. 4 Spaniards return to Sevilla after a week here and are found to have Covid-19. Did they get it here? Did they bring it with them? Did they get it from other tourists that brought it here? Hysteria is running wild.