Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisd

Major Champion
Building a sports hall, for example, as part of an 'agreement' to get planning permission for a supermarket strikes me as 'corruption' of the planning process!
But invariably that is what I believe is "planning gain" or S106. It's a way for the council/community gets something it needs for allowing another thing that it needs. It's all over and above board, discussed in the pre app and the final planning process and then passed/rejected by the Council members - not the council employees.

If the council doesnt want a supermarket and the councillors on the planning committee reject it then there is a likelihood that the developers will go to appeal and may always get approval anyway.

...and I am not sure that it is best idea for George Eustace to be excusing the packed beaches of yesterday telling the interviewer today that - well - after all - we have been in lockdown for months and it has been the hottest day of the year. Is that really the message that a minister should be putting out?

Foxholer

Major Champion
But invariably that is what I believe is "planning gain" or S106. It's a way for the council/community gets something it needs for allowing another thing that it needs. ...It's all over and above board, discussed in the pre app and the final planning process and then passed/rejected by the Council members - not the council employees.

If the council doesnt want a supermarket and the councillors on the planning committee reject it then there is a likelihood that the developers will go to appeal and may always get approval anyway.
Now THAT'S where I believe 'the process' is (potentially) corrupt. S106 shemes seem, to me. to give too much power to councils to extract cash from developers - in effect another 'developer tax'! I'm not saying these things aren't appreiated, but they should be given by free choice, not demanded as part of a 'deal'!

chrisd

Major Champion
Now THAT'S where I believe 'the process' is (potentially) corrupt. S106 shemes seem, to me. to give too much power to councils to extract cash from developers - in effect another 'developer tax'! I'm not saying these things aren't appreiated, but they should be given by free choice, not demanded as part of a 'deal'!
I dont see how it could work in the way you say. If a contractor wants to build 2000 homes on a site then it's likely there would have to be a school, doctors surgery, shops, play areas, community centre road alterations etc etc . Councils have, for as long as I remember, taken section 106 money to fund those things given that the developers would want the biggest return on the site and would prefer not to build them, although I do accept that it might be hard to sell houses on a 2000 homes site without incorporating most of the communal extras. The grass roots football club I've worked with for years is about to get a new clubhouse, changing rooms etc courtesy of a S106 from a local development which will be a lasting legacy for sport in the town.

Foxholer

Major Champion
I dont see how it could work in the way you say. If a contractor wants to build 2000 homes on a site then it's likely there would have to be a school, doctors surgery, shops, play areas, community centre road alterations etc etc . Councils have, for as long as I remember, taken section 106 money to fund those things given that the developers would want the biggest return on the site and would prefer not to build them, although I do accept that it might be hard to sell houses on a 2000 homes site without incorporating most of the communal extras. The grass roots football club I've worked with for years is about to get a new clubhouse, changing rooms etc courtesy of a S106 from a local development which will be a lasting legacy for sport in the town.
I don't have any issues with that - that's the proper use of S106. And, indeed, the developer is trying to minimise outlay, therefore maximising profit! It's where 'unrelated contributions. are made that I question the ethics!
I'd sooner that new clubhouse had a big sign on it saying 'Provided under S106 by <insert developers> to achieve planning permission'!

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
I don't have any issues with that - that's the proper use of S106. And, indeed, the developer is trying to minimise outlay, therefore maximising profit! It's where 'unrelated contributions. are made that I question the ethics!
I'd sooner that new clubhouse had a big sign on it saying 'Provided under S106 by <insert developers> to achieve planning permission'!
It wasnt actually done the normal way on this occasion as the money the council received was held for some time then eventually used at least 3 or 4 years later on what was agreed to be a project that is " for the good of the community" . The area that I live is a growth town so bribery is not needed to get permission to build, in fact they struggle to keep up with the 5 year house building plan

I have just started the planning stage for a £7m to £9m development and no mention whatsoever of a contribution for S106 has been mentioned as the community will be served by the Social Club that i do book keeping for (not the football club) will be saved from liquidation as a result.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
With deaths today 7.5% higher than last Friday and the weekly rolling average increasing from 118 on Wednesday to 119 on Thursday and now 121 today are we seeing the start of the second wave? The average time from someone getting the disease to dying from it is 23 days so was there something going on about 3 weeks ago that could account for this?

30th May was the first time scenes of crowds gathering on south coast beaches were reported - including people gathering closely together at Durdle Door to allow the air ambulance to land. This might seem a bit early but if there was secondary infection from those attending passing it on to others then it's a possible cause.

31st May was the first of the large BLM protests with thousands gathering in London. Again possibly too early but as above with secondary infections.

1st June was the first relaxation of lock down rules.

3rd June another BLM protest in Hyde Park but it was generally agreed that people were doing quite well at social distancing - although there were clashes with the police later that evening.

5th/6th June D-Day celebrations.

6th June the largest of the BLM protests in London and also approx 15000 gathering in Manchester.

Or are we simply seeing an anomaly in the data that is just a blip?

DRW

Tour Rookie
With deaths today 7.5% higher than last Friday and the weekly rolling average increasing from 118 on Wednesday to 119 on Thursday and now 121 today are we seeing the start of the second wave? The average time from someone getting the disease to dying from it is 23 days so was there something going on about 3 weeks ago that could account for this?

30th May was the first time scenes of crowds gathering on south coast beaches were reported - including people gathering closely together at Durdle Door to allow the air ambulance to land. This might seem a bit early but if there was secondary infection from those attending passing it on to others then it's a possible cause.

31st May was the first of the large BLM protests with thousands gathering in London. Again possibly too early but as above with secondary infections.

1st June was the first relaxation of lock down rules.

3rd June another BLM protest in Hyde Park but it was generally agreed that people were doing quite well at social distancing - although there were clashes with the police later that evening.

5th/6th June D-Day celebrations.

6th June the largest of the BLM protests in London and also approx 15000 gathering in Manchester.

Or are we simply seeing an anomaly in the data that is just a blip?
Deaths reported comparison can be misleading due to delays in deaths being reported. A more relevant comparison is date of death and that is generally downwards(starting to get a bit noisy due to lower numbers now being reported).

Almost all relevant data I have seen, has been heading down, even the early warnings of the number of calls being made to 111 or testing positive by date of specimen or hospital admissions etc. Long may it continue.(y)

Here are some good websites if you like data :-

http://covidtracker.uksouth.cloudapp.azure.com/

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Hope that helps.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Deaths reported comparison can be misleading due to delays in deaths being reported. A more relevant comparison is date of death and that is generally downwards(starting to get a bit noisy due to lower numbers now being reported).

Almost all relevant data I have seen, has been heading down, even the early warnings of the number of calls being made to 111 or testing positive by date of specimen or hospital admissions etc. Long may it continue.(y)

Here are some good websites if you like data :-

http://covidtracker.uksouth.cloudapp.azure.com/

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that. Always good to be able to look at more data to see what's actually going on.

Not sure it’s that clever allowing reopening of pubs on a Saturday - and one with a date like 4th July. Nothing like teeing up a bit of chaos for the stupid

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Not sure it’s that clever allowing reopening of pubs on a Saturday - and one with a date like 4th July. Nothing like teeing up a bit of chaos for the stupid
Unfortunately stupid people will always be stupid and then there are the stupid people who blame others stupidity for the actions of stupid people.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner

Reemul

Head Pro
so what should they do. Not open until we have a vaccine? what is the solution. Labour and Conservative supportive here but clearly you are not
Maybe open on a Monday or Tuesday rather than what is likely to be the busiest day of the week. Good ideas can always be offset by part of it being stupid. Common sense seems to have gone out of the window recently.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Maybe open on a Monday or Tuesday rather than what is likely to be the busiest day of the week. Good ideas can always be offset by part of it being stupid. Common sense seems to have gone out of the window recently.
whatever happens at whatever time, stupid is as stupid does and there is enough of that across the country - so there will inevitably be idiots, just part of life

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
If they opened on a Monday or Tuesday how many people who could go to work would.go.to.a.pub instead ?
TBH most of the pub around here are open and serving takeaway in convenient 1 pint plastic glasses anywag.

Status
Not open for further replies.