Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
So here’s a question on responsibility by the Government, it was announced yesterday over 800,000 NHS Employees are to be able to access type 1 or type 2 masks on a daily basis from 15 June.

Today the Deputy Chief Executive of NHS providers has come out and said NHS Trusts were neither informed of this decision or asked what stocks they have available or can procure in 9 days.

Some Staff will also need to be trained in how to use them, how difficult that is, I have no idea.

Hopefully, all will be ok and all NHS Staff will be looked after.

My question is: If the stocks are not available or the system can’t supply them and some Trusts can’t meet the deadline, were do we think responsibility will lie?
Nicola Sturgeon obviously!

drdel

Tour Rookie
China and its place in the global economy is the other key thing that will change post Covid. Trump was alreeady stoking the fire with trade renegotiations/ Huawai. But now the rest of the world has now joined in and a multi-year change in relations will happen and i suspect that China's place in the global heirarchy will change. Too early tpo tell if this turns into a full-blown cold war or if Xi can backtrack on the more authoritarian route he has taken the country over the last few years - anyway, one for another discussion thread!
China is a civilisation based in the notion of honour and pride - that will prevent any admission of wrong doing or mistakes. Xi will never backtrack and his internal persona will mean that he will use 'attack'' to divert and blame - we can see evidence with the reaction to Australia and the treatment of HK. Events could easily become outx of hand.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
China is a civilisation based in the notion of honour and pride - that will prevent any admission of wrong doing or mistakes. Xi will never backtrack and his internal persona will mean that he will use 'attack'' to divert and blame - we can see evidence with the reaction to Australia and the treatment of HK. Events could easily become outx of hand.
it is also very focused on material wealth. But i do agree. I think a new cold war is likely and i worry about the fate of Hong Kong and Taiwan

Foxholer

Major Champion
I agree with PaulDJ42 that the government, by definition is 100% responsible for the outcomes of this virus
They are in charge, goes with the territory. And a healthy level of scrutiny is expected and hopefully welcomed.

My concern is that we reach a point of over scrutiny which has the politicians constantly looking over their shoulder, looking out for the next journo to try and trip them up or catch them out, that ultimately results in a type of paralysis, where nobody does anything for fear of being found wrong later

That is where we are currently heading I fear
Re the bit in bold....Twaddle! The Government can only create a framework to minimise the effects on UK society of this pandemic including appropriately organising the search for a cure! If it was '100% responsible for the outcomes...', that would be equivalent to it also being 100% responsible for every Murder, Burglary, Fire and Road Accident, something that is obviously not its responsibility - though minimisunbg the effects on UK society IS.

Your concerns may be valid, but that's where Leaders, perhaps not the obvious candidates, step up and take responsibility, even/especially for getting it (excusably) wrong!

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Today the Deputy Chief Executive of NHS providers has come out and said NHS Trusts were neither informed of this decision or asked what stocks they have available or can procure in 9 days.
This was reported a couple of days ago. A "government spokesman" said they had been.
There has been no mention since that I have seen.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Which seems to be the complete antipathy of 'communism'! China is certainly becoming increasingly influential in every aspect! And if Trump fears it as much as it appears, then things could get very messy very quickly!
Communism is just how the rich keep the money and power while controlling the masses.
"Messy" might be a mild outcome as it becomes more belligerent.

China's exchange rate has rigged the markets for years and the West failed to address it. Meanwhile they have pretty much 'bought' Africa and thus most of the world's rate earth metals.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
See also: Capitalism
difference is in capitalism you can moan, protest, elect new officials, force enquiries - you just get the gulag or the bullet or disappear in communism. Human instint and inequality are inevitable - at least you can drive change in the capitalism, strive for accountability and have achance of success

Foxholer

Major Champion
China's exchange rate has rigged the markets for years and the West failed to address it. Meanwhile they have pretty much 'bought' Africa and thus most of the world's rate earth metals.
So a failure by 'the West' (as opposed to wise diplomacy by China) then!
Remind me again who's at 'fault'?
Wilbur Smith forecast this a couple of decades ago!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
So a failure by 'the West' (as opposed to wise diplomacy by China) then!
Remind me again who's at 'fault'?
Wilbur Smith forecast this a couple of decades ago!
Trouble with the West, they were convinced that China would go the same way as the old USSR and their kind of communism would fail. Instead they learnt very quickly from Russia and let the entrepreneurial China man get rich so they ensured their full support.

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
Re the bit in bold....Twaddle! The Government can only create a framework to minimise the effects on UK society of this pandemic including appropriately organising the search for a cure! If it was '100% responsible for the outcomes...', that would be equivalent to it also being 100% responsible for every Murder, Burglary, Fire and Road Accident, something that is obviously not its responsibility - though minimisunbg the effects on UK society IS.

Your concerns may be valid, but that's where Leaders, perhaps not the obvious candidates, step up and take responsibility, even/especially for getting it (excusably) wrong!
Gawd this is hard work

How about I rephrase it that the government are responsible for the measures taken to try and control the virus

Is that any better?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Interesting that many hundreds can protest in a crowd without SD and the media are not jumping up and down 1 guy drives 260 miles and there is uproar.

Hmmm... That "one guy" is an unelected unaccountable bureaucrat who believes it's OK to muck over our lives whilst believing his own edicts don't apply to himself... A lot like the bureaucrats who pollute the corridors in Brussels... You know, the ones we voted to kick into touch... Well, I did anyway...