Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
The Briefing. The Matt Hancock One Man Show...?

What's happened to the experts or the CMO/CSO? Is this supposed to build confidence in what the government is saying and doing - no experts to back up the strategy and measures...? No experts to be asked questions?

Ah - experts. Who needs them...when we've got Matt. And I suppose he did fine - though would be good to know the science behind all NHS staff and visitors having to wear face masks when previously they didn't. Or maybe we just have enough so we can do it.
Sigh

Different day same moaning. If you really don't like those giving the briefings (and clearly they don't meet your political leanings) and don't like the information being given then don't watch. Alternatively get your news and information elsewhere (or does the BBC bias and political agenda not align with your views either)

Foxholer

Major Champion
Sigh

Different day same moaning. If you really don't like those giving the briefings (and clearly they don't meet your political leanings) and don't like the information being given then don't watch. Alternatively get your news and information elsewhere (or does the BBC bias and political agenda not align with your views either)
So wrong on so many levels! :mad:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
The Briefing. The Matt Hancock One Man Show...?

What's happened to the experts or the CMO/CSO? Is this supposed to build confidence in what the government is saying and doing - no experts to back up the strategy and measures...? No experts to be asked questions?

Ah - experts. Who needs them...when we've got Matt. And I suppose he did fine - though would be good to know the science behind all NHS staff and visitors having to wear face masks when previously they didn't. Or maybe we just have enough so we can do it.
That is pretty positive from you. They must be getting their act together

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
So wrong on so many levels! :mad:
Not wrong in the least.

Homer is merely expressing what many on here think.

The constant carping from SilH does beg the question, why does he keep watching and why does he feel the need to keep telling us all of his disapproval.

Three months in and his tone has never changed and I very much doubt that he has succeeded in altering anyone's opinion.

Sigh

I have been hugely supportive and complementary about Hancock from Day #1 - I feel he has had to pretty much carry the load of explaining what's going on as many of his colleagues have been utterly useless. In general I feel that he has done a pretty good job. But I feel he is being played a bit now by his boss and the spin-meister in chief because the messages are not that great and decisions are being made that are not completely science and health based - and I am afraid that I am losing a bit of faith in what he says.

So with him today appearing without any experts of course I wonder why?...So why the heck did they do it and make me wonder what they are up to? Because that is exactly what happened today.

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
I have been hugely supportive and complementary about Hancock from Day #1 - I feel he has had to pretty much carry the load of explaining what's going on as many of his colleagues have been utterly useless. In general I feel that he has done a pretty good job. But I feel he is being played a bit now by his boss and the spin-meister in chief because the messages are not that great and decisions are being made that are not completely science and health based - and I am afraid that I am losing a bit of faith in what he says.

So with him today appearing without any experts of course I wonder why?...So why the heck did they do it and make me wonder what they are up to? Because that is exactly what happened today.
Just maybe the decision was taken on the basis of "If you have nothing worthwhile to say then shut up and sit down."

For a little while now it has been clear that unless there has been some new practice or plan being implemented the independent medical experts have contributed increasingly less to the briefings.

This has much to do with the poor standard of many of the questions from the media.

Not wrong in the least.

The constant carping from SilH does beg the question, why does he keep watching and why does he feel the need to keep telling us all of his disapproval.

Three months in and his tone has never changed and I very much doubt that he has succeeded in altering anyone's opinion.
Have you never read ANY of the supportive comments I have made about Hancock in the briefings?

I think that many (not all) of the ministers have been frankly pretty rubbish in the briefings - and I find it constantly tedious that any criticism or questioning of them or of what they say is jumped upon as if they are untouchable. We know exactly why they are in the roles they are in - and it is not through their competency. It is because they signed a pledge of total allegiance to Mr Empty Jacket Johnson - anyone who didn't was out or never in. So let's not pretend that somehow this bunch is above criticism. They are not. But Hancock is still doing OK - just.

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
Have you never read ANY of the supportive comments I have made about Hancock in the briefings?

I think that many (not all) of the ministers have been frankly pretty rubbish in the briefings - and I find it constantly tedious that any criticism or questioning of them or of what they say is jumped upon as if they are untouchable. We know exactly why they are in the roles they are in - and it is not through their competency. It is because they signed a pledge of total allegiance to Mr Empty Jacket Johnson - anyone who didn't was out or never in. So let's not pretend that somehow this bunch is above criticism. They are not. But Hancock is still doing OK - just.
I'm sorry but I can't take your comments seriously whilst you persist with your juvenile name calling.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro

just think how good it could have been if a brainiak like mathematician Dianne Abbott or any of the superstars under red Jezza had been up there doing the briefings? Would Jeremy Corbyn have actrually been able to answer a questtion for the first time in his life?

One key thing about the past few months is that we have been experimenting and learning all tthe way through and there are often no definitives. This is not a case of follow the instruction manual

Foxholer

Major Champion
Not wrong in the least.

It may seem 'moaning' to you, but legitimate opinion to me - no different to your contra opinion/moaning, both of which you are entitled to!

Why do you need to keep telling us about your disapproval of his disapproval!! That's a rhetorical question btw

Either answer/refute the specific point(s) or admit (at least to yourself) that a point may have been made! That's far more 'honest', imo, than simply moaning about someone disapproving of specific events that may challenge one's political preference!

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
It may seem 'moaning' to you, but legitimate opinion to me - no different to your contra opinion/moaning, both of which you are entitled to!

Why do you need to keep telling us about your disapproval of his disapproval!! That's a rhetorical question btw

Either answer/refute the specific point(s) or admit (at least to yourself) that a point may have been made! That's far more 'honest', imo, than simply moaning about someone disapproving of specific events that may challenge one's political preference!
Actually I believe that is the first time that I have commented on one of his posts although I may have been tempted.

As for political preferences I genuinely have none.

Foxholer

Major Champion

As for political preferences I genuinely have none.
So you are/claim to be politically apathetic - yet critical of someone who is distinctly NOT 'apathetic'!

As per my previous post, either challenge the point made; agree (at least to yourself) that a point was made; or ignore the comment (or maybe even the poster) entirely!

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
So you are/claim to be politically apathetic - yet critical of someone who is distinctly NOT 'apathetic'!

As per my previous post, either challenge the point made; agree (at least to yourself) that a point was made; or ignore the comment (or maybe even the poster) entirely!
Can I ask when you were appointed as the arbiter of discussion on the forum or are you merely being pompous.

And not having a committed political preference is a very long way from being "politically apathetic".

In fact it is quite the reverse as I am questioning of all political points.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
just think how good it could have been if a brainiak like mathematician Dianne Abbott or any of the superstars under red Jezza had been up there doing the briefings? Would Jeremy Corbyn have actrually been able to answer a questtion for the first time in his life?

One key thing about the past few months is that we have been experimenting and learning all tthe way through and there are often no definitives. This is not a case of follow the instruction manual
You’re better than this!:mad:

Plenty of tory politicians have made mistakes and over 40,000 people have died.

How about 50,000 under Labour to prove your point or 30,000 to make you look stupid!

How about we don’t play the what if game and simply support this Government through the crisis without pathetic political point scoring.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro

How about 50,000 under Labour to prove your point or 30,000 to make you look stupid!

How about we don’t play the what if game and simply support this Government through the crisis without pathetic political point scoring.
Agreed, the time for this will be the inevtable inquiry after this all settles down.

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
Think we need to leave the party political stuff out of this
Ideally the leader of the opposition should be in on all the briefings, if not, why not?
Then it’s a united front , Starmer is a barrister, who has the ability to forensically examine every step the government make and to question everything.

If this happens properly, then nobody can argue political points, if it isn’t allowed to work properly, then questions need to be asked

Swinglowandslow

I agree with your last sentence completely, but I don't attribute the 40000 or any of the deaths at the feet of the Tory politicians ( nor would I have done so at the feet of Labour)
As far as I am concerned this Covid thing would have clobbered any government of the day. It is a terrible affliction upon the world, and I still say that there are many factors which give cause to the apparent success or failure of governments, and incompetency is low on the list.
Things like population strength and density ;ethnicity, affluence or otherwise of nations and sections within nations etc. Now altitude has come into the equation( makes sense).
Responses to medicines and our understanding of them is not stable, and minds are forever changing, like Ibuprofen, hydroxychloroquine( now Lancet are not so sure it is ineffective and causes harm).
All this shows we are dealing with a largely unknown situation, one which does not need the derailing effects of Party politics .
Cooperation is what we need, International, national , scientific, etc - and plenty of it!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro

I also agree with the last sentence. And the key point i was trying to make was about the relentless blaming of the government, the members of the government's individual performances in front of the cameras in very difficult and unparallelled circumstances - from someone who clearly hates the government and anything they do on the sepctrum of Covid to EU negotiations. On both points i agree in supporting the national interest - hence being a remain voter who will back the government to obtain a good deal that supports our new indepenadant status and to secure a prosperous future for our country. The same on Covid - nobody has the answers and we are constantly learning, will make more mistakes, change our minds or alter views on issues that affect our day-to-day lives. We need to get behind the government on this not constantly harp on and criticise

Last edited:

Foxholer

Major Champion
Can I ask when you were appointed as the arbiter of discussion on the forum...
The moment I signed up - as, of course, did everyone, including yourself! At least 'an' arbiter!

Btw. Thanks for clarifying your 'political preference'. I agree, that's not 'apathetic', indeed unusually 'healthy' and not altogether unlike my own, though I'm searching for an electable 'middle ground'!

Last edited: