Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Nope, still only public transport though advisable to do so in shops. My point was that the opening of shops will trigger a bigger increase in the use of public transport by both shoppers and workers and so more need for face coverings on more packed buses and tubes.
This is my understanding as well.
Fwiw, i've travelled (and worked) on public transport throughout the lockdown and have barely been within 20m of another person, let alone 2m. In contrast to most shopping expeditions. So I'm not sure that any particular opportunity has been missed.
Hospitals and care homes seem the most significant source of new infections according to the Telegraph and my own (extraordinarily small sample size) personal experience. I'm not sure which of those two is the least reliable...

larmen

Head Pro
Down to each state to set those rules. They were not voluntary. Quite an administrative burden on each site but it did enable them to get going.
I still wouldn’t go to a restaurant.
Someone you don’t know touched your food, your plate, your cutlery, ... .
They also came in contact with other customers before you that you don’t know.
And there is the restroom thing. Maybe not so bad for men, but still.
I think going out is the last thing that I will introduce again.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
You are the one making negative assertions.

The advice is still to stay at home and work from home. If you got to work try NOT to use public transport. If you use PT you will need to wear face covering because the 2m rule is very hard to maintain.
When normal shops open it may then be wise to use face coverings but not yet.

The social distancing and stay at home as much as possible is still the main way to reduce infections and will be for several more months
I am curious to know why you think it is not wise to wear a mask now, but wise to wear one in two to three weeks time.:unsure:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
I sort of get the reasoning behind not doing it initially. When you give people any form of protection like a mask, they do not know how to use it properly, believe it protects them rather than being there to protect others, and social distancing goes out the window as people think that they are now bullet proof. I used the analogy in an earlier post about rugby players wearing padding. The idea was to prevent injury but at first injuries increased as players took more risks as they thought they were protected.

Now I agree that they should be compulsory in indoor public spaces and those outdoors where social distancing cannot be applied. As a nation we have proved ourselves inherently incapable over the last few weeks of following arrows around supermarkets (though our generations of queuing skills have really shone through) and so masks make sense.
The reason they did not do it immediately was to protect supplies to the NHS workers because of those desperate shortages of PPE

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I am curious to know why you think it is not wise to wear a mask now, but wise to wear one in two to three weeks time.:unsure:
NOBODY is saying it's not wise to wear a mask now. We are saying if you are going to start finding people for not having masks you need to give them time to get them.

Like I said by next week most will be wearing .. then week after it becomes enforceable

GB72

Money List Winner
The reason they did not do it immediately was to protect supplies to the NHS workers because of those desperate shortages of PPE
Not sure that is 100% of the reason bearing in mind that the requirement is a face covering not a surgical mask but who knows. Not being privy to the discussions it is all hypothesis and supposition but then again, why take masks away from the NHS when people were not meant to be leaving the house except for essentials anyway.

Down to each state to set those rules. They were not voluntary. Quite an administrative burden on each site but it did enable them to get going.
That's what I was thinking. In fact you could have a load of your own forms filled out with your contact details, and you just fill out the name of the shop/restaurant you are going in to and the time you go in. Yes - the shops have to hold on to a load of paperwork - though they could just scan them every day - or scan the forms as they went along.

Maybe in time we'll all have a card or app on our phones - and every time we go in anywhere we 'tap-in' and when we leave we 'tap-out'. Just musing.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Wearing masks, or not, it's gonna be some while before we resume using public transport...
When we've seen buses, in these parts, they've had less than a handful on board...
Normally, in the daytime, they are full of 'freeloaders' like us ;)...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Wearing masks, or not, it's gonna be some while before we resume using public transport...
When we've seen buses, in these parts, they've had less than a handful on board...
Normally, in the daytime, they are full of 'freeloaders' like us ;)...
Our rural service buses are all running empty, well the ones I see are.
Try to close them and watch the fireworks start.
[:eek:Like the libraries, swimming pools and golf courses.:eek:]

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
This is no dought true.
Can’t help thinking though if they had made face covering on public transport mandatory straight away there would have been a lot less cases for the NHS to deal with.
And lockdown might have been shorter.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Isn’t that why we have “experts” though?

rulefan

Tour Winner
That's what I was thinking. In fact you could have a load of your own forms filled out with your contact details, and you just fill out the name of the shop/restaurant you are going in to and the time you go in. Yes - the shops have to hold on to a load of paperwork - though they could just scan them every day - or scan the forms as they went along.

Maybe in time we'll all have a card or app on our phones - and every time we go in anywhere we 'tap-in' and when we leave we 'tap-out'. Just musing.
The problem with paperwork is that people have to handle it unless we all wear gloves.

The problem with paperwork is that people have to handle it unless we all wear gloves.
This is true. But clearly some German states have a way to manage it. As there is anti-bacterial gel at the entrance to the shops that shoppers must use - shoppers clean their hands before entering the shop and then fill up the form the shop provides. A member of shop staff then scans each form using a mobile phone, iPad etc app. If you are not happy about having to fill out a form and having it scanned, then you don't get to go into the shop.

Swinglowandslow

Was there a sarcasm emoji intended?
Somewhat like the Aussie App or th IoW App?😳
Both would have (do) the necessary,but most people need to have a smartphone and of those that do, they have to agree to use it, or/and effectively use it.
Don't know what happened in Aussie, but AFAIK the I oW one has failed to be rolled out.

You can imagine our lot being disciplined enough to fill in forms when they eat out!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro

Electronic identity cards!
Some civil liberties people won’t like that.
I would have one sounds a good idea.

Was there a sarcasm emoji intended?
Somewhat like the Aussie App or th IoW App?😳
Both would have (do) the necessary,but most people need to have a smartphone and of those that do, they have to agree to use it, or/and effectively use it.
Don't know what happened in Aussie, but AFAIK the I oW one has failed to be rolled out.

You can imagine our lot being disciplined enough to fill in forms when they eat out!!
No - like Apple Pay, PIN free card payment, or an Oyster card.

But putting that aside. On the manual form-filling scheme. You clean your hands and fill out a form or you don't get into the shop or restaurant. Indeed shops could have a notional 1p charge for entering the shop and you pay it by tapping your debit/credit card on entry - and that transaction is recorded.

The Briefing. The Matt Hancock One Man Show...?

What's happened to the experts or the CMO/CSO? Is this supposed to build confidence in what the government is saying and doing - no experts to back up the strategy and measures...? No experts to be asked questions?

Ah - experts. Who needs them...when we've got Matt. And I suppose he did fine - though would be good to know the science behind all NHS staff and visitors having to wear face masks when previously they didn't. Or maybe we just have enough so we can do it.

Last edited:

Ye Olde Boomer

America is using the street demonstrations as an excuse to pretend that covid19 has disappeared.
The street demonstrations are more than justified, but the pandemic hasn't gone anywhere.

Watch for the hospitalization numbers in a couple of weeks.
We'll be starting all over again.

Christ, people are dumb. From my perspective, evolution should have replaced us by now.