Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

GB72

Money List Winner
Why would they change the way they count the deaths?
It seems a bit cynical to get the tourist trade going again.
This is one thing that I would like to know more about, how the various countries are recording these figures. Are they in all environments, are they recording the death as Covid related if there is a positive test or only if it can be proved to be the cause of death. The figures used in the UK do appear to be some of the most wide reaching in that we are reporting all environments and if there is only a positive test result but then this is being used as a comparative (despite many attempts by the scientists to explain why this is not a correct comparison) and then being used in the media to assess how the government are performing, whether we should be easing lockdown provisions (or tightening them) etc. Really a global (or at least european) standard should have been put in place so as the impact of certain measures could be assessed by comparing like for like results.

Not saying it is any way true but would it be such a massive leap to think that a government would change the reporting method in order to allow the more rapid opening of a country's major industry or governments setting more stringent requirements before covid is listed on a death certificate to show a better 'performance' against other countries or to expedite the restarting of economic activity. The cynic in me thinks not.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
This is one thing that I would like to know more about, how the various countries are recording these figures. Are they in all environments, are they recording the death as Covid related if there is a positive test or only if it can be proved to be the cause of death. The figures used in the UK do appear to be some of the most wide reaching in that we are reporting all environments and if there is only a positive test result but then this is being used as a comparative (despite many attempts by the scientists to explain why this is not a correct comparison) and then being used in the media to assess how the government are performing, whether we should be easing lockdown provisions (or tightening them) etc. Really a global (or at least european) standard should have been put in place so as the impact of certain measures could be assessed by comparing like for like results.

Not saying it is any way true but would it be such a massive leap to think that a government would change the reporting method in order to allow the more rapid opening of a country's major industry or governments setting more stringent requirements before covid is listed on a death certificate to show a better 'performance' against other countries or to expedite the restarting of economic activity. The cynic in me thinks not.
I would say that if the death rate changed 600 in one week there is a black and white answer .
But are they going to tell us what it is?
Tourism is one of their economic big industries, so I am a bit more suspicious than you!

drdel

Tour Rookie
I would say that if the death rate changed 600 in one week there is a black and white answer .
But are they going to tell us what it is?
Tourism is one of their economic big industries, so I am a bit more suspicious than you!

The world of international politics and statistics: look hard for the truth.

What I am interested in is how the UK is doing and the welfare of the population.

There is little point in the rates overseas, other than to learn lessons. It's also pointless whinging about testing data. Testing doesn't cure the poorly, many had more than one test so dissecting the data by the media or public tells us the sum total of beggar all.

Unfortunately the curve is flattening off and I reckon the tail will be reflecting a slowing number of fatalities for a good few months yet. Mathematically I'd say infections will still be running at a significant level through until September.

Yes I was just thinking it should be compulsory for everyone to have a number 3.;)
Trimmer from Argos. £20.
Hair and beauty salons are the last things that will open .
Maybe a barber could set up in the local park, PPE and SD in the que would be good .
Payment on phone just a thought.
Not so sure about that. According to a poster in the window the place just round the corner from me is alreay open - "... by appointment, and for beauty treatments only ..."
(Don't ask - I don't know ... :))

So I get onto the London Euston train at Glasgow Central - and as the train crosses the border the guard calls out 'Masks Oan - and I'm now coming through the train to check youse all - and if you're no wearing wan I'll...erm...throw you off at Carlisle...' Loving it. Good British Common Sense will, I am sure, prevail - one way or another.

chrisd

Major Champion
So I get onto the London Euston train at Glasgow Central - and as the train crosses the border the guard calls out 'Masks Oan - and I'm now coming through the train to check youse have all - and if you're no wearing wan I'll...erm...throw you off at Carlisle...' Loving it.
Are you deliberately being obtuse Hugh?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
So I get onto the London Euston train at Glasgow Central - and as the train crosses the border the guard calls out 'Masks Oan - and I'm now coming through the train to check youse all - and if you're no wearing wan I'll...erm...throw you off at Carlisle...' Loving it. Good British Common Sense will, I am sure, prevail - one way or another.
It's okay, you won't be thrown off, you will be fined 👍. Should the UK govt have waited for the Scottish govt to make this move and then follow? Can it not work the other way around? Does NS always have to announce first?

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
It's just a pity that Sturgeon has so little common sense.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Glad to read face covering will be mandatory on public transport from 15th June

About time
I'm not totally sure if this is allowed, but if anyone wants or needs some then this is the link to Mrs Colch's Facebook page where she is making the fabric masks......

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Loco-Lous-580528925707027/posts/?ref=page_internal

They're £3 each or two for £5 and 50% of all sales is being donated to PACT Animal Sanctuary.

https://www.pactsanctuary.org/

(EDIT - I have reported this post to the Mods myself to ask them to remove it if it breaks any forum rules).

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Totally agree. Work have been really good for the few of us that commute by train/bus and supplied face masks. I'm lucky enough to get a lift in each morning so only need one for the home trip.
Social distancing on the tube is almost impossible, least with masks should remove the need to social distance so strictly traveling. Get the economy moving

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Social distancing on the tube is almost impossible, least with masks should remove the need to social distance so strictly traveling. Get the economy moving
Totally agree. Been very lucky on my commute home and the SWT service I get is dead at the moment and I've had carriages to myself at times or one other person at the other end. I've worn the mask more for a sense of preservation rather than to conform (although clearly this changes on the 15th). We were all risk assessed recently and those that travelled by necessity on public transport usually came out at moderate risks (including other aspects like existing conditions, gender (male scoring higher than female) and age. As a result our technicians were told to order extra masks to cover the staff

larmen

Head Pro
I'm not totally sure if this is allowed, but if anyone wants or needs some then this is the link to Mrs Colch's Facebook page where she is making the fabric masks......

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Loco-Lous-580528925707027/posts/?ref=page_internal

They're £3 each or two for £5 and 50% of all sales is being donated to PACT Animal Sanctuary.

https://www.pactsanctuary.org/

(EDIT - I have reported this post to the Mods myself to ask them to remove it if it breaks any forum rules).
I am not sure how to follow this through to your wife's shop. There seem to be other things there when clicking on the shop now button, and when looking for mask you get other sellers.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Your not likely to go so don't worry about it. Very few Scots go back north. Stop being silly. It's no wonder I thought you were DfT

MetalMickie

Tour Winner
Much as I hate directing traffic to the Daily Mail I made an exception to help some some types believe it as it is in the Daily Mail, not the communist Guardian. I mean it's not great is it whatever paper you read it in and dare I say it makes our government look a bit incompetent? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8387971/Britain-announces-coronavirus-deaths.html
Why is it assumed that each country was starting from the same point?
I am pretty sure that it was said some time ago that the virus manifested itself differently in terms of strength and numbers in various countries.
That is not to say that our dealing with it does not compare well with some other nations but, if true, it would suggest that these sorts of league tables are futile other than providing cheap ammunition for the media.

GB72

Money List Winner
Was reading an article that Spain moved to only including deaths reported in the last 24 hours and hence the drop of 600 or so in one day. Under that system of reporting the UK would have been looking at 20 or less per day. Just shows the issue with comparisons

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Why is it assumed that each country was starting from the same point?
I am pretty sure that it was said some time ago that the virus manifested itself differently in terms of strength and numbers in various countries.
That is not to say that our dealing with it does not compare well with some other nations but, if true, it would suggest that these sorts of league tables are futile other than providing cheap ammunition for the media.
So does government incompetence.