Coronavirus - political views - supporting or otherwise...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Totally agree on this. It would reduce the childish nature of debates, the jeering, the animosity. If split up, I would have each seat linked to a constituency, it would reduce the tribal element which can only be good.
Yes and put it in the middle of the country somewhere.
They could use the old one for an English Parliament then.

Just seeing warning signs. Hopefully they will work something out but it is a worry.

The speaker says "it is for the Government to decide what proposal for voting it wishes to put forward"

Not great, though, that they have allowed the remote working to end without putting an alternative mechanism in place.
It's all for the Empty Jacket that is our PM - so that with his adoring audience sitting behind him in the stalls he can stand on his stage - bluster and wave his arms about acting the part he thinks is a reasonable substitute for proper and informed leadership. Well plenty have bought into the act and I guess we are stuck with it - at least until Cummings goes once he's seen the transition period through.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Blimey, you want to see the "Deputy Head of a failing Primary School" we have running Cardiff Council..... embarrassing. Still thinks golf is more dangerous than queuing to buy flower pots. Makes John Major look like Rambo!

Blimey #2 - Brits Banned from Greece when it reopens for holidaymakers on June 15. As C-19 is still too prevalent in the UK we are not on the list of 29 allowed. Mind you France, Spain, RoI and Italy aren't on the list either. We are in good company...

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Blimey #2 - Brits Banned from Greece when it reopens for holidaymakers on June 15. As C-19 is still too prevalent in the UK we are not on the list of 29 allowed. Mind you France, Spain, RoI and Italy aren't on the list either. We are in good company...
Why the Blimey, very sensible from the Greek government, fair chance it will be lifted by August.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Is it worth the hassle going out there and then having to self quarantine on return

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Why the Blimey, very sensible from the Greek government, fair chance it will be lifted by August.
I agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see other nations follow suit. I can see a lot of families looking for a cheap last minute deal especially with the school summer holidays only five weeks away.

I don't know the answer to this hence the question, but for argument sake if a family went abroad (to wherever accepts UK travellers), and they are now expected to quarantine/self isolate for 14 days on return, will this get monitored. If not, what stops them then simply going out and about in the local community?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Has been the bright spot in the government's response but as it progresses I think they should consider different phasing for different sectors. Bars and restaurants, for example, will need help for longer than most.
Far be it from me to pour a little drizzle on the parade.
However, as good as the furlough scheme looks now (and I’m a fan of it, but I’m also of the mind that he couldn’t really have done much different), it won’t be until we learn how we’re going to pay for it that we’ll know how worthwhile it was....

Thread starter #3,135

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Far be it from me to pour a little drizzle on the parade.
However, as good as the furlough scheme looks now (and I’m a fan of it, but I’m also of the mind that he couldn’t really have done much different), it won’t be until we learn how we’re going to pay for it that we’ll know how worthwhile it was....
I tend to think it will be judged on success or otherwise depending on how many jobs it saves.

At some time or another the books are going to have to be balanced...the cuts will be deep.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
I tend to think it will be judged on success or otherwise depending on how many jobs it saves.

At some time or another the books are going to have to be balanced...the cuts will be deep.
Agreed, but the cuts could cause as many, if not more, issues than the scheme has prevented.
Hopefully, no one will use the opportunity to impose ideological cuts. I have concerns though.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Agreed, but the cuts could cause as many, if not more, issues than the scheme has prevented.
Hopefully, no one will use the opportunity to impose ideological cuts. I have concerns though.
I'm hoping that rather than cuts they will impose increases in tax rates. Bring in a temporary 50% tax bracket for all earnings over £150k and a 60/70% tax bracket for all earnings over £300k (for example). Stick 1% on corporation tax as a temporary measure and then make sure that the big companies actually pay their fair share. In my experience cuts affect those on lower incomes far more and whatever this virus costs us as a country needs to be paid for by those that can most afford it (and I include myself in that).

bluewolf

Money List Winner
I'm hoping that rather than cuts they will impose increases in tax rates. Bring in a temporary 50% tax bracket for all earnings over £150k and a 60/70% tax bracket for all earnings over £300k (for example). Stick 1% on corporation tax as a temporary measure and then make sure that the big companies actually pay their fair share. In my experience cuts affect those on lower incomes far more and whatever this virus costs us as a country needs to be paid for by those that can most afford it (and I include myself in that).
I’ll bet you a crisp fiver that the cuts look absolutely nothing like that...

I’m willing to pay more tax if it means the burden doesn’t fall harshly on those that can least afford it. But history tells us that the onus will most likely be placed on those that can least afford it...

I’m happy to be proven wrong though...