Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

pauldj42

Money List Winner
The fact is, everyone has a role to play in this, whether it be those first in line or those at the back of the queue.

I would just suggest that to ensure we all get the chance to get the vaccine, those involved in the delivery or ongoing fight against the virus, whether Military or not, should be protected and given a higher priority in the roll out programme.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
yes, it’s winter :love:
Not sure why all this hype is going on in the media, it’s building up hopes and misleading for now, most of us will be waiting until around summer if we are lucky to get in the queue for a jab IMO.
Or maybe it’s not arguing:rolleyes: just 3 or 4 people holding different point of views and discussing them whilst staying within forum rules.(y)

BiMGuy

No they didn’t do all the fit out work, I also know many involved, they worked along side the Royal Engineer Construction Trades, who by the way carry out this role worldwide when needed and do it with no input from the UK construction industry, however do they manage?🤷‍♂️

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: “In the face of this unprecedented global emergency, we are taking exceptional steps to increase NHS capacity so we can treat more patients, fight the virus and save lives.

“I applaud the NHS, engineers, and the military for their continued work on setting up the new NHS Nightingale Hospital so it is ready to open its doors next week – a remarkable feat in these challenging circumstances.”

Military personnel have been involved in the planning stages and continue to support NHS England by providing infrastructure, logistics and project management advice.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said: “Our military planners and engineers are working hand in hand with the NHS to support their development of the NHS Nightingale Hospital. The Armed Forces have already been distributing personal protective equipment (PPE) to meet the increased demand and we stand ready to assist further in any capacity needed.

“The NHS and our Armed Forces are both world leaders in their fields, and this ambitious project is just one example of what can be achieved when they come together to help the nation.”
Apologies for using the word all.

Neither group did all the work. As I said it was collaborative.

I think there is a perception that the private sector has been gardening all year and the only people at work are the NHS and other public services.

Apart from 24 hours after the first lockdown. My company has been working all the way through with only a few, mostly office based staff on furlough. We all took a 20% pay cut and have in most cases worked longer hours against rediculous deadlines. The site teams have been working under ever increasing conditions whilst still having to meet deadlines.

🍻

pauldj42

Money List Winner

I think there is a perception that the private sector has been gardening all year and the only people at work are the NHS and other public services.

Apart from 24 hours after the first lockdown. My company has been working all the way through with only a few, mostly office based staff on furlough. We all took a 20% pay cut and have in most cases worked longer hours against rediculous deadlines. The site teams have been working under ever increasing conditions whilst still having to meet deadlines.

🍻
Totally agree and that’s why I said it should be all those at the forefront whether in Uniform or not, everybody/job is vital and we all have a role to play. 🍻

🍻
aye - what about all those keeping a hospital's networks running and at the same time increasing it's capacity without bringing the whole lot down - the engineers, technical architects and (ahem) the project managers (ahem)... working stupid o'clock to stupid o'clock in the wee small hours of the morning to minimise risk to hospital operations with no O/T or TOIL coming their way...;)

Initial vaccination for over 80s and most vulnerable will commence later this month - but it'll just be first of two parts. Second part for most vulnerable will in period Jan through March/April. Sounds like less vulnerable will not start until April onwards...hmmm. So quite some time through next year before vaccination of the wider population is being completed. Not sure that that message will be taken on board by many...because that might mean many months of significant restrictions, ah well.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Initial vaccination for over 80s and most vulnerable will commence later this month - but it'll just be first of two parts. Second part for most vulnerable will in period Jan through March/April. Sounds like less vulnerable will not start until April onwards...hmmm. So quite some time through next year before vaccination of the wider population is being completed. Not sure that that message will be taken on board by many...because that might mean many months of significant restrictions, ah well.
Not quite correct, those timelines were based on the 1 vaccine announced today, as the other 6 vaccines come on line these will impact on the roll out and times, the PM is talking about us hopefully being in a good place by Spring, but we are not out the woods yet.

Thought it was/is an excellent press briefing today.

Edit:
Further point stated by Van-Tam that the most vulnerable group that was announced today, makes up 99% of Covid-19 deaths seen so far in the UK, so that grouping was no accident.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Not quite correct, those timelines were based on the 1 vaccine announced today, as the other 6 vaccines come on line these will impact on the roll out and times, the PM is talking about us hopefully being in a good place by Spring, but we are not out the woods yet.

Thought it was/is an excellent press briefing today.
The initial supply of Pfizer vacc is modest, not enough to cover the care home/NHS/over 80s. Moderna is not available anytime soon, so a lot depends on the AZ approval and supply.

It is rich claiming this as a Brexit bonus when it was an EU law allowing countries to put local emergency measures in place and the vacc in question was developed by a German company with EU funding support.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
The initial supply of Pfizer vacc is modest, not enough to cover the care home/NHS/over 80s. Moderna is not available anytime soon, so a lot depends on the AZ approval and supply.

It is rich claiming this as a Brexit bonus when it was an EU law allowing countries to put local emergency measures in place and the vacc in question was developed by a German company with EU funding support.
Totally agree with the 2nd paragraph, thankfully the PM didn’t support that pov in the press briefing.

Tashyboy

Money List Winner
Sorry if this has been asked but would you have the vaccine if you have had Covid. A guy is saying on telly why not, it would boost your immunity, but Covid Barry who I played with today says he don’t need it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
But surely the less vulnerable will be able to wait and if rates are increasing restrictions will be imposed vaccine or not

Ethan

Money List Winner
I thought nobody under 18 were in the initial plans.
NS was saying recently that all over 18 could be vaccinated by spring in Scotland. Can't see it myself.
Here is an info document for healthcare professionals which has more information (some of which is not v. interesting). MHRA document on Pfizer vacc

The rate limiting steps to getting mass vaccination are, not surprisingly, vaccine supply and giving the shots. I think Scotland can do the latter, they can mobilise enough healthcare professionals and newly trained people to do it. Supply depends on which vaccines are approved and when and what supply is available for short term shipping. Right now, Pfizer can supply a modest amount, more to follow in Jan/Feb, Moderna none till April, AZ will probably need to make the great weight needed for most of the population. I think they have been producing fairly actively, but are also committed to the US, EU and other places.

Good thing Spring usually comes late in Scotland!

Ethan

Money List Winner
I find it sad how quickly (less than 12 hours) the genuine triumph and fantastic news of an approved vaccine has turned into a negative, pick holes in it feast by the media and others.
This was an expected event, perhaps occurring a week or two sooner than expected, but considerable issues remain and this thing is very far from over. I don't think anyone has not welcomed the vacc.