Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

ger147

Tour Winner
Unless you get 0 cases and shut borders, it's just not feasable. We were too late.
It's not a case of having zero cases. If fewer people are moving around less of the time, the fewer cases we would have. If more people stayed at home more of the time, chances are the number of cases would be lower and the restrictions wouldn't need to be so severe to maintain that lower level of cases.

Just my opinion of course, I know many others don't share that view.

BiMGuy

Unless you get 0 cases and shut borders, it's just not feasable. We were too late.
There was no 'too late'.

Once the virus made the jump to humans, unless it was contained and eradicated within the first few cases. It was game over for stopping it spreading.

It is impossible in todays world to shut borders and society down enough to stop a virus such as this spreading.

DanFST

Head Pro
There was no 'too late'.

Once the virus made the jump to humans, unless it was contained and eradicated within the first few cases. It was game over for stopping it spreading.

It is impossible in todays world to shut borders and society down enough to stop a virus such as this spreading.
I'm not convinced, Singapore shut their borders had a legally required and very good tracing system.

The economy is back to normal, apart from having to wear a mask and not being able to leave+enter, life is pretty much back to normal. I think their cases are normally less than 10 a day, and they are catching 99.99% of them.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
I disagree - IMO the reason these economically damaging lockdowns/tiers etc. have lasted so long and still persist just now is not enough people are choosing to stay at home more of the time and cut right back on non-essential trips outside the house.

No-one can be certain of course and at least there is finally light at the end of the tunnel in the form of vaccines, but I for one will be continuing with minimising the number of times I leave hone just as I have been since the original lockdown in March.
Ok, define essential...

Shopping can be delivered - Food and Christmas.
Exercise can be done at home.
most other things can be done online.

If we limit our outdoor time to just travelling to and from work (those that have to), then all retail except the biggest online businesses would collapse. The hospitality sector would collapse. Travel etc would collapse.

It’s not about reducing the risk to near zero. It’s about minimising it to the point that the structures in place can cope until a vaccine is administered.

Me personally, I’m booked into the gym tomorrow and Thursday. I’m playing golf on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. When the pubs open I’ll be enjoying a nice socially distanced pint with the dogs next to a roaring fire. All of this will be done whilst observing the safety and hygiene rules in place. I have absolutely no guilt about this.

I support your (and everyone else’s) right to make your own choices. 👍

ger147

Tour Winner
Ok, define essential...

Shopping can be delivered - Food and Christmas.
Exercise can be done at home.
most other things can be done online.

If we limit our outdoor time to just travelling to and from work (those that have to), then all retail except the biggest online businesses would collapse. The hospitality sector would collapse. Travel etc would collapse.

It’s not about reducing the risk to near zero. It’s about minimising it to the point that the structures in place can cope until a vaccine is administered.

Me personally, I’m booked into the gym tomorrow and Thursday. I’m playing golf on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. When the pubs open I’ll be enjoying a nice socially distanced pint with the dogs next to a roaring fire. All of this will be done whilst observing the safety and hygiene rules in place. I have absolutely no guilt about this.

I support your (and everyone else’s) right to make your own choices. 👍
I did say cut back, not completely eliminate. And the retail, travel and hospitality sectors are all already decimated.

And to use your diary above as an example, if it was me I would not go to the gym at all and play golf just the once.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
I did say cut back, not completely eliminate. And the retail, travel and hospitality sectors are all already decimated.

And to use your diary above as an example, if it was me I would not go to the gym at all and play golf just the once.
Not go to the gym 🥺🥺🥺
Play golf once 🥺🥺🥺

But but but...... That’s no fun

Swinglowandslow

It’s just not as simple as “stay inside”

Mental health is a huge thing with the lockdown and even if people are “sitting at home getting paid” - its just not as easy as that

There are millions on reduced wages , millions worrying about if there is a business to go back too - getting out and about is crucial to a lot of people and even a game of golf can help that

But on the outside furlough sounds lovely in the summer but the longer it’s gone on people are going to get worried and we can’t all shut ourselves inside - the country still needs to move forward and can do with the guidelines set out. The economy needs to keep moving , people need to go to work , people need to visit shops , it’s a circle that keeps it all moving

Do people lock themselves away during the flu season ?

People are still going to get Covid even with every measure possible , it’s going to happen , and unfortunately and heartbreaking for some it’s going to cost a very small percentage their lives but you can never also discount the other affects of this pandemic and mental health is a key area that has to be watched.
Are people actually reading what is being written?
Bob has always said that it is what is unnecessary that is what should be curtailed.
Here

''To those who are planning to make unnecessary journeys/meetings/gatherings etc over the next few weeks, please spare a thought for the nurses and doctors.''

Then he went on to say that of course some have to do actions that carry risk.
That is what the whole dilemma that the authorities are battling with.
There are things that have to be done by a lot - most -people that puts them and others at risk of Covid. No one is denying that
Ethan has said that most activities outside carry a negligible risk using some common sense, so if there is no risk then fine. Golf , walking etc
It's the unnecessary risk that is being taken time and again by people feeding this virus that is under debate here. And I find it hard to understand those here who support such risk taking.
If doing this impacted only those who took those unnecessary risks, then I'd say, fine - go ahead. I wouldn't lose any sleep over their fate.
But this is a different scenario.
Who lives a lifestyle where if they catch it, no one else will?
Exactly!

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Bob has always said that it is what is unnecessary that is what should be curtailed.
Here

''To those who are planning to make unnecessary journeys/meetings/gatherings etc over the next few weeks, please spare a thought for the nurses and doctors.''

There are things that have to be done by a lot - most -people that puts them and others at risk of Covid. No one is denying that
Ethan has said that most activities outside carry a negligible risk using some common sense, so if there is no risk then fine. Golf , walking etc
It's the unnecessary risk that is being taken time and again by people feeding this virus that is under debate here. And I find it hard to understand those here who support such risk taking.
If doing this impacted only those who took those unnecessary risks, then I'd say, fine - go ahead. I wouldn't lose any sleep over their fate.
Exactly!
Re the bit in bold, if they do have to do actions that carry risk then they aren’t unnecessary, only you yourself can decide what you deem neccessary.

I’d doubt anybody on here is going to come on post they do X amount of unneccessary journeys because they want to or they can.

Slab

Money List Winner
Re the bit in bold, if they do have to do actions that carry risk then they aren’t unnecessary, only you yourself can decide what you deem neccessary.

I’d doubt anybody on here is going to come on post they do X amount of unneccessary journeys because they want to or they can.
Yeah they've been kinda doing that since March though
Buying everything from board games to DIY supplies meaning needless journeys by others, households going out shopping 5-6 times a week etc
This forum has been all about the non-essentials since day 1

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
Here

Exactly!
So what is classed as “unnecessary” risk ? Can it be defined ? Or will it be up to each person to decide what they feel they can do without ?

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Yeah they've been kinda doing that since March though
Buying everything from board games to DIY supplies meaning needless journeys by others, households going out shopping 5-6 times a week etc
This forum has been all about the non-essentials since day 1
Those who have done such things, I’m not sure who you mean, they may of deemed them neccessary for a multitude of reasons.

chellie

Tour Winner

I don't understand this. The gym I go to is safer than a supermarket. You have to prebook a slot. These are limited in number. It is cleaned every one and a half hours. They also use a fogging machine on it. Equipment has to be wiped down before and after use. I've only seen one couple not do this and I complained about them. Golf is outside in the fresh air with no close contact of anyone not in my household.

ger147

Tour Winner
I don't understand this. The gym I go to is safer than a supermarket. You have to prebook a slot. These are limited in number. It is cleaned every one and a half hours. They also use a fogging machine on it. Equipment has to be wiped down before and after use. I've only seen one couple not do this and I complained about them. Golf is outside in the fresh air with no close contact of anyone not in my household.
I never mentioned supermarkets or said gyms weren't safe. My simple point is IMO, not enough people are cutting back enough to avoid the rate of spread being too high to necessitate the various lockdowns/tiers etc. we are being subjected to.

And for the record, I don't go to supermarkets either. I do play golf once a week so I haven't cut out everything non-essential myself so everyone needs to make their own choices but as I said, I feel that too many people are still going out and about too much and so the rates continue to be too high and the restrictions continue to be necessary.

bobmac

Major Champion
The thread title asked how it's affected me, I gave my opinion.
If people want to help their mental health by going to the pub/gym/supermarket/church/hill climbing/holidays/golf etc, carry on, all I've asked is to spare a thought for the doctors and nurses mental health because anyone going out after lockdown is lifted and get a bad case of the killer virus could well end up in ICU just in time for Christmas.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
If it was thus, you wouldn't have lockdowns or tiers.
Are you in favour of "each person to decide....?
Really?
Not really, but I’m also not in favour of a small number of people who have the wherewithal and the mentality making the decision for everyone either.
My personal preference is for a series of rules/guidelines, based on strong science and an understanding of economic effects, that we can all work within to minimise the risks of overburdening the NHS.

Liverpoolphil

Grand Slam Winner
The thread title asked how it's affected me, I gave my opinion.
If people want to help their mental health by going to the pub/gym/supermarket/church/hill climbing/holidays/golf etc, carry on, all I've asked is to spare a thought for the doctors and nurses mental health because anyone going out after lockdown is lifted and get a bad case of the killer virus could well end up in ICU just in time for Christmas.
But do you expect everyone to just sit inside and only go out when absolutely necessary- you appeared in the inital post to dismiss “people sitting there earning money” and going out using mental health as an excuse

Nurses and Doctors are constantly under stress throughout the year because of many different issues we face , there are many illnesses and issues that increase during the winter.

People are going to catch it - there is a risk with anything.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
I have to go to work in a Covid related area. Risk
I have to commute back from work
Once I get off the train I am faced with the choice of walking (50 minutes), cab (£8.00 and about 7-10 minutes) but a risk or a bus for twenty minutes potentially very high risk

The option isn't there to work from home so I have to take my chances. Mask on all the time, hands washed when I get to Reading station and then as soon as I get through the front door. It is a calculated risk but what options are there