Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
I can see from some of the behaviour going on in cities why the level would go up, bur I'm struggling to see how Elmbridge has managed to get itself to the same position.
A question that seems to have been asked by many in the area. Some suggested it’s because we’re in a commuter area however Woking and Guildford are more so yet aren’t under the same restrictions.

Another theory, although not sure whether this is a Facebook one, is that a lot of students who have had positive tests have done so and been registered under their home addresses even though they are away at
Uni.

Anyway, does seem a bit odd but not a lot we can do bar live with it and hope we’re not like other places and still under it in 6 months time.

Personally feel that we are sleepwalking into a national lockdown but won’t be called as such due it it being a regional basis.

Blue in Munich

Professional Yeti Impersonator
A question that seems to have been asked by many in the area. Some suggested it’s because we’re in a commuter area however Woking and Guildford are more so yet aren’t under the same restrictions.

Another theory, although not sure whether this is a Facebook one, is that a lot of students who have had positive tests have done so and been registered under their home addresses even though they are away at
Uni.

Anyway, does seem a bit odd but not a lot we can do bar live with it and hope we’re not like other places and still under it in 6 months time.

Personally feel that we are sleepwalking into a national lockdown but won’t be called as such due it it being a regional basis.
Looking at the London map some of the commuter areas are bad, but equally some of the commuter areas have got better. Not sure I buy the student theory. As you say, not much you can do but live with it. It did however provide a few of my work colleagues with a degree of amusement at my expense, not that it will be any consolation to you.

IainP

Tour Rookie
Not an "affect me" thing directly but the stats thread has fallen away.
Globally yesterday there was a new high over 310 thousand cases reported in a day.
Know increased testing is part of the story, but still sobering IMO.
Do wonder what it'll look like in a year's time 😕
Dug this out to recall when it was, pretty much one month ago.
Just shy of 400K globally yesterday. 😕
I don't think the forum reaches that far, but would be interested in views on why South America's cases seem to have dropped significantly - I couldn't find any news analysis on a quick look that speculated. They are in spring now.
Europe is very much back as the "hot bed" of cases again 😕

Ethan

Money List Winner
Yup. I think perhaps part of the problem is the media seem to tell the 'story' as if 'herd immunity' is a 'cure'/solution
With something like measles, which requires
Been seeing a lot about pre covid and what the WHO recommended for such outbreaks, interesting read, makes you kind of wonder why we have moved away so massively from the original science/recommendations/Not recommended behind this. Going to be interesting reading history in years to come and lessons learnt. Link of document/chart

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream...Y94IgGaHyxNKOln0JWG6K5OGZubFtwWTKH12-Vt7R47cM

View attachment 32942
We haven't moved away from the original science. We have applied different measures for a different virus with different properties. Those measures are for influenza. As many many people have been saying, Covid is not influenza. The 'not recommend' list are all of potential value with Covid.

DRW

Tour Rookie
The paper is specifically for Influenza. Covid is a different virus isn’t it?

I’d expect NPI recommendations to differ by virus.

Maybe you‘re comparing apples and oranges? Though I’m no expert :)
If you are interested in reading about it, then there is other guidance available on the WHO website from earlier years, which is directed to 'general' respiratory viruses. Similarish comments over the various options when you take in the third party collateral, the virus is just far to much out there to get rid of.

Don't believe there is any expert on here ;), certainly not me, I am just a pleb just trying to learn, which is interesting and experts don't fully agree either :LOL:

History will be the final judge on this, as there is loads of data from loads of countries taking different actions, and to a pleb like me it sure doesn't make sense in lots of areas. But history will make it clearer.

Happy Reading.(y)

DRW

Tour Rookie
Dug this out to recall when it was, pretty much one month ago.
Just shy of 400K globally yesterday. 😕
I don't think the forum reaches that far, but would be interested in views on why South America's cases seem to have dropped significantly - I couldn't find any news analysis on a quick look that speculated. They are in spring now.
Europe is very much back as the "hot bed" of cases again 😕
Wish I could find the link, but cant find it in my saved areas.

I think I remember reading about how generally respiratory viruses spread 'best/easiest' in a certain zones of temperature and humidity, of which Europe sits very often. Never did follow it and search for more back up information over it, so not sure it is a science fact or not.

Will have a look later to see it I can find the link.

GB72

Money List Winner

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
If it was the same one i read this morning then I was not impressed. The study assumed only one infected person on the plane and no movement of passengers once they had taken their seat. Basically the most beneficial circumstances if you were preparing a report to encourage people back on flights.
Indeed...a best case scenario
They need to do another one with 4 or 5 infected people and passengers moving about otherwise its worthless.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
I started feeling rough last Sunday but had a cough and a few symptoms for a couple of days earlier, although didn't think anything of it at the time. Had test on Monday 11.30 - got results back 9pm Wednesday as positive. Zara's came back negative although her sysmptoms are very similar but with a 39 degree temperature and i was 36.5. We both had very poor taste - vinegar smelt disgusting, like acid!! Zara sent back another self test today.

I am in isolation till next Wednesday. Not feeling too bad now and have worked right through - although i have been pretty rough it was easier to work and keep occupied. I know it affects everyone differently and while by no means pleasant, I have had much worse doses of flu, let along man flu!

My first Peroni at hand right now and it tastes OK!! Can't wait to get back to normal - whatever that is!!

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
I started feeling rough last Sunday but had a cough and a few symptoms for a couple of days earlier, although didn't think anything of it at the time. Had test on Monday 11.30 - got results back 9pm Wednesday as positive. Zara's came back negative although her sysmptoms are very similar but with a 39 degree temperature and i was 36.5. We both had very poor taste - vinegar smelt disgusting, like acid!! Zara sent back another self test today.

I am in isolation till next Wednesday. Not feeling too bad now and have worked right through - although i have been pretty rough it was easier to work and keep occupied. I know it affects everyone differently and while by no means pleasant, I have had much worse doses of flu, let along man flu!

My first Peroni at hand right now and it tastes OK!! Can't wait to get back to normal - whatever that is!!
There's the cure.....loads of Peroni.
Job done.(y):p

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
If it was the same one i read this morning then I was not impressed. The study assumed only one infected person on the plane and no movement of passengers once they had taken their seat. Basically the most beneficial circumstances if you were preparing a report to encourage people back on flights.
Good dose of imodium before boarding recommended.