Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
If you think its too strict, a flight arrived last week with 70 foreign workers who were all tested neg before travelling... 10 tested positive on arrival
Unless it was a very long flight, or some of the negative tests were a bit old, there is something rather odd about those numbers.

Slab

Money List Winner
Unless it was a very long flight, or some of the negative tests were a bit old, there is something rather odd about those numbers.
Yeah I was surprised by the number but it could've been like GB72 describes in his scenario, neg test in last 7 days prior to departure (or even home test) Either way I'm glad all 70 had to go to quarantine on arrival and wish the 10 a speedy recovery

GB72

Money List Winner
Honest question as I know nothing about these tests not having taken one. Is there any way that it can be ascertained that they have been correctly administered and taken by the person who says they have taken them. Seems all too easy not to collect the sample correctly or, in the case of a large group of workers if I being cynical, one person who is known to be clear takes a swab for everyone

Ethan

Money List Winner
Yeah I was surprised by the number but it could've been like GB72 describes in his scenario, neg test in last 7 days prior to departure (or even home test) Either way I'm glad all 70 had to go to quarantine on arrival and wish the 10 a speedy recovery
Unless they were a high risk group, or transmitted it amongst themselves on the plane (although it would take longer than a flight to become test positive), then 10/70 is a very high hit rate. I suspect the second set of tests has a few false positives. No real harm if they have to quarantine anyway.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Honest question as I know nothing about these tests not having taken one. Is there any way that it can be ascertained that they have been correctly administered and taken by the person who says they have taken them. Seems all too easy not to collect the sample correctly or, in the case of a large group of workers if I being cynical, one person who is known to be clear takes a swab for everyone
Assuming they are doing a naso-pharynx swab, the biggest problem is usually missing the right place and getting a negative test even in a positive patient. False positives would normally occur due to the lab having an overly sensitive assay, or by cross contamination between samples. I suspect it is more likely that some of the 10 are false positives.

Pleasing to see this morning that BA have now extended their 'fly-by' date to end Oct for cancelling and getting a voucher. Will check with our travel insurance to see if we can get a refund from the insurance if we cancel our flight to Valencia (due to fly there 16th) - if not there is always the voucher (to be used by end April 2022).

Slab

Money List Winner
Unless they were a high risk group, or transmitted it amongst themselves on the plane (although it would take longer than a flight to become test positive), then 10/70 is a very high hit rate. I suspect the second set of tests has a few false positives. No real harm if they have to quarantine anyway.
Either false pos at this end or incorrectly cleared at departure end, either way as you say its just as well the whole lot were quarantined
(p.s i got my dates wrong, they tested + on 1st Sept so they have all recovered/cleared by now)

Traminator

Either false pos at this end or incorrectly cleared at departure end, either way as you say its just as well the whole lot were quarantined
(p.s i got my dates wrong, they tested + on 1st Sept so they have all recovered/cleared by now)
Are they workers?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner

conspiracy theory alert

sounds like the perfect set of results if you want to ensure the public buy into what some would see as very severe quaranting requirement going forward

larmen

Head Pro
Yesterday I went to the supermarket much later than usual, 9pm instead of lunch time. I don't think I have ever seen that many people without mask in it at the same time. Is there like a mask free happy hour?

But I find people wearing a mask wrong even worse.

(probably should be in the rant threat)

Pleasing to see this morning that BA have now extended their 'fly-by' date to end Oct for cancelling and getting a voucher. Will check with our travel insurance to see if we can get a refund from the insurance if we cancel our flight to Valencia (due to fly there 16th) - if not there is always the voucher (to be used by end April 2022).
Update - Travel Insurance says No as BA are providing a voucher. So as far as Travel Insurance is concerned we do not suffer any financial loss. Fair enough.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Yesterday I went to the supermarket much later than usual, 9pm instead of lunch time. I don't think I have ever seen that many people without mask in it at the same time. Is there like a mask free happy hour?

Mask free, I try to think there is a genuine reason. Not always easy to do but lets think the best of people 🤔.

Mask wrong, usually pulled down from the nose, is just plain stupid. I also get slightly irrationally wound up by that one, you are not alone.

Yes there is.
It was the same pre masks. Free for all, no arrows, no queues.

Dale winton comes out at 9.45 and everyone races round looking for inflatable produce with cash attached.

chellie

Tour Winner

Oh yes, this is me!! Luckily I can eff and jeff at them without them knowing as I have my mask on correctly.