Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Guy from Farnham Hants. in the queue for a test at Newport IOW asks the guy in front 'have you come far'
Farnham, the guy replies.

After a good laugh the second guy says he was chatting on the ferry [you are not allowed to stay in your car] to a couple from Ryde who were just returning from their test at Portsmouth.
thought Farnham was in Surrey

Thank goodness. The hospital doctor they just interviewed had me ready to throw in the towel and end it all!
Interesting that this is the same team that at the start of September had their modelling showing a doubling of cases ever 7 days (and that Sir PV and CW may well have used as their reference in their joint briefing) - and today the team lead maintained that that was correct back then. Apparently the team does not simply test those who are symptomatic - rather, they test across the population (as I understand from what the research lead said this morning) - and so find asymptomatic infected as well as symptomatic. But good news - though caveated by him as being from testing done just last Saturday so not clear how things might have changed since then.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Interesting that this is the same team that at the start of September had their modelling showing a doubling of cases ever 7 days (and that Sir PV and CW may well have used as their reference in their joint briefing) - and today the team lead maintained that that was correct back then. Apparently the team does not simply test those who are symptomatic - rather, they test across the population (as I understand from what the research lead said this morning) - and so find asymptomatic infected as well as symptomatic.
This news story came from a population prevalence study. It is encouraging, but its reliability does depend on the sampling methods used and there is always a degree of statistical uncertainty involved, so a further updated study in a week or two confirming the slowing would be very helpful.

The data shown by Vallance, and the modelled future trajectory, is based on different data, that taken from NHS testing and hospital records. The doubling time was indeed 7-8 days, and it would be good news if that slows. Note that even if it slows, it is still increasing, so we aren't out of the woods by any means. We can debate whether, if that data improves, it was previously just a blip or whether people acted responsibly to reduce transmission.

Any way you look at it, there is a reservoir of virus bubbling around, and it is therefore likely that local outbreaks or rises in national numbers, will be common events through the autumn and winter.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
So...
Bowel cancer screening has restarted in NI and Scotland.
Rang up to see if I can get mine resceduled from March. "We are awaiting guidance from the govt...'
Hmmm...

Mrs was quite upset yesterday as she took a call from a distressed lady who has been to GP with some form of chest pain. As she has a family history of BC she was clearly very worried even though her GP thinks the chest pain is likely to be something not BC. Her GP had made the woman a routine referral for a scan and other investigations...8 months. Not good living with such worry for such a long time. As highlighted in papers yesterday - BC screening and referrals has big problems with the huge backlog and reduced screening capacity.

bobmac

Major Champion
The staff in Boots the chemist yesterday confused me.
During my visit, I saw 5 staff and only one wearing a mask.
In a chemist where people were collecting prescriptions.
I thought masks were compulsory for shop staff now?

Not in all circumstances. Like if they are behind a screen for example.

Kaz

I think not if they are behind a screen? Although, who knows, it’s hard to keep up.

maxfli65

Journeyman Pro
I was in Boots yesterday too getting prescriptions, all staff were wearing masks. Is it a regional thing?

Slab

Money List Winner
The airport kinda reopens today after border was closed in March (limited flights & depends on eligibility to travel here)

Mandatory 14 day stay in a quarantine center for everyone arriving (that the traveler has to pay for themselves) and 3 neg covid tests spaced across the stay before the person is released to gen population

If you think its too strict, a flight arrived last week with 70 foreign workers who were all tested neg before travelling... 10 tested positive on arrival

GB72

Money List Winner
The airport kinda reopens today after border was closed in March (limited flights & depends on eligibility to travel here)

Mandatory 14 day stay in a quarantine center for everyone arriving (that the traveler has to pay for themselves) and 3 neg covid tests spaced across the stay before the person is released to gen population

If you think its too strict, a flight arrived last week with 70 foreign workers who were all tested neg before travelling... 10 tested positive on arrival
This is what makes me nervous. Where i normally go there are a lot of US tourists. They only need a clear test within the last 7 days to enter. First concern is that these are home tests posted off so no guarantee that they are being done correctly or even on the person they say it is. The flights to where I go also involve a layover in Miami so they are going to a bit of a covid hotspot on the way as well. Not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.