Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Slab

Money List Winner
Everyone and their dog were told there'd be a second wave. Everyone was told that when the coming winter flu arrived, whether its a second or third wave of Covid along with whatever new version of flu comes around, that stringent measures would be needed. And the WHO has been giving out global warnings of what was coming, and what the responses should be.

The NHS was told in May to gear up for September, and how the public should behave if it wished to avoid tougher measures.

No we cannot agree we were NOT being warned. Methinks you're being deliberately obtuse.
This highlight is a key phrase looking in at the UK

Millions didn’t behave when in ‘lockdown’ & it could’ve made a big difference
Millions didn’t behave when measures were starting to be lifted
And millions more thought they were behaving because they only did was ‘allowed’... but turns out they weren’t really helping because they were being allowed to do too much and probably just made it worse

Oh come off it. Did anyone REALLY think we were going to be back to pre COVID normal before then?
Nobody did. Well - not very many and thse who did were rather deluded...

But plenty of businesses and individuals were hoping that positive words coming from some of more significance and influence than others about what might be possible Sept/Oct time, would indeed come to pass. They were hoping that they were not having false hopes raised as the alternative was too difficult to contemplate - which for many businesses would be significant redundancies. I am not suggesting that they should have taken hope from what they might have heard - I for one didn't really believe a word of it - but who can blame them. Of course we know what their hopes were based upon - and that was a world class 3Ts system.

chrisd

Major Champion

But plenty of businesses and individuals were hoping that positive words coming from some of more significance and influence than others about what might be possible Sept/Oct time, would indeed come to pass. They were hoping that they were not having false hopes raised as the alternative was too difficult to contemplate - which for many businesses would be significant redundancies. I am not suggesting that they should have taken hope from what they might have heard - I for one didn't really believe a word of it - but who can blame them. Of course we know what their hopes were based upon - and that was a world class 3Ts system.
That is a load of tosh.

Can you name any company or business that publicly put out statements to support what you are saying?

Can you name any scientist or MP who didn't think there'd be a second wave later in the year when talking in May?

Last edited:

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
OK - it is weird how the words from some about things getting back to something approaching normal September/October time have been erased from memory. Yes there were warnings from scientists and medics about a second wave - but my point was that words from some of significant influence were more positive. And all that I am saying is that some very difficult decisions many businesses and individuals were faced with making were put off in the hope that the positive words would come to pass - the alternative being too difficult and depressing to accept. And they have not come to pass. And the very difficult decisions are now having to be made.
Without going down the political route, I do vividly recall Boris telling the nation at the start of lockdown that this virus would be under control within 12 weeks. And very little was known then about how this would develop.

The only certainty during the last six months has been the constant uncertainty. That said, the majority opinion I have seen since the outset has been that there would be further waves of the virus, and the bulk of those I have seen predicted autumn/winter. The positive words have largely been from isolated individuals.

Thread starter #9,445

drdel

Tour Rookie

I think you are not sticking to the theme of the thread but just rehashing the original political thread debate, Prof Whity has always said from the begining that this will a long haul and waves of ŕising infection rates were more likely than not.

Without going down the political route, I do vividly recall Boris telling the nation at the start of lockdown that this virus would be under control within 12 weeks. And very little was known then about how this would develop.

The only certainty during the last six months has been the constant uncertainty. That said, the majority opinion I have seen since the outset has been that there would be further waves of the virus, and the bulk of those I have seen predicted autumn/winter. The positive words have largely been from isolated individuals.
Correct, somebody said a lot of positive things including I remember masks being implemented for 4-8 weeks as it would curb the virus in that time period. Said somebody and the CDC Director.

A different approach required or perhaps a kick into reality.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Thread starter #9,450

drdel

Tour Rookie
Surely with people wearing masks, using hand gel and socially distancing, this should have a positive impact on the numbers getting seasonal flu.

Or am I missing something?
You silly boy - you're playing with logic again when you know the media want a controversy and argument to fill the news hours for the talking heads.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Surely with people wearing masks, using hand gel and socially distancing, this should have a positive impact on the numbers getting seasonal flu.

Or am I missing something?
Along similar lines(ish).....last week my daughters class (she's 6) had their first case of the Norovirus, apparently a pretty horrible case at that. Usually this sort of thing would have spread around the class like wildfire however because of the increased handwashing and the fact that they all have the own personal work packs so don't share pens, pritt sticks etc it was limited to just the one boy. Hopefully that will help keep the other bugs etc at bay now we're coming into cold season etc.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
OK - it is weird how the words from some about things getting back to something approaching normal September/October time have been erased from memory. Yes there were warnings from scientists and medics about a second wave - but my point was that words from some of significant influence were more positive. And all that I am saying is that some very difficult decisions many businesses and individuals were faced with making were put off in the hope that the positive words would come to pass - the alternative being too difficult and depressing to accept. And they have not come to pass. And the very difficult decisions are now having to be made.

A bit like the words we might have received about other significant happenings? But c'mon Hugh, you're intelligent. Most flu's have 4 winters(ripples/waves), a winter in one hemisphere, then off to a winter in the other hemisphere and then repeat. Covid was predicted, originally, to have up to 6 ripples. We've seen the first wave in the northern hemisphere. The second wave is currently enjoying itself down south, and the third wave looks like its starting in the northern hemisphere.

There's a fair bit being mitigated by the restrictions we've seen. Unfortunately, some people think what has been done has failed. No it hasn't, its achieved what it could based on how limited the restrictions have been and how many idiots have ignored them.

Anyone who's thought otherwise or expected better is deluded.

Here in our corner southern Spain the numbers have dropped dramatically, even though Spain's numbers are rocketing. Why? The tourists/northern Spaniards have gone home. The locals are almost anal in their respecting of the rules, unlike up north. Go figure...

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Had my first cancellation due to symptoms within a bubble at the college.
Bubble sent home for a week as a precaution.
Fortunately I haven't seen the pupil since last Thursday so no issues for me..
And so it begins...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I could have put this in random irritations but it is virus related and it affects me mentally. The NE is currently in a relatively tight lock down. It really isn't tricky or complicated but thread after thread on our town Facebook page is from people trying to find a loophole. Equally disturbing is the number of people who are recommending people ignore the rules or coming out with advice that is plain wrong in order to bypass them.

We are in this position exactly because people have not followed the guidelines and have looked for ways around them. Muppets, absolute muppets and we are going to be in this lockdown for longer because of them 🤬🤬.

I'm having a bad lockdown day but it's good news for the dog as we will be going for a longer walk tonight to de-stress 😁.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
I could have put this in random irritations but it is virus related and it affects me mentally. The NE is currently in a relatively tight lock down. It really isn't tricky or complicated but thread after thread on our town Facebook page is from people trying to find a loophole. Equally disturbing is the number of people who are recommending people ignore the rules or coming out with advice that is plain wrong in order to bypass them.

We are in this position exactly because people have not followed the guidelines and have looked for ways around them. Muppets, absolute muppets and we are going to be in this lockdown for longer because of them 🤬🤬.

I'm having a bad lockdown day but it's good news for the dog as we will be going for a longer walk tonight to de-stress 😁.
May I suggest detoxing from Facebook? Or at the very least switch off your notifications. My wife is similar in that she reads Facebook a lot and just gets angry. I've deleted my Facebook account and feel a lot better for doing so as whilst it is great for a few things, it also exposes you to lots of other peoples stupid opinions. Which to be honest for the sake of my mental health and well being I do not need. Enjoy your dog walk, that is my go to way of destressing, stick a podcast on, noise cancelling headphones to cut the world out, walk the dog, lovely.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Guy from Farnham Hants. in the queue for a test at Newport IOW asks the guy in front 'have you come far'
Farnham, the guy replies.

After a good laugh the second guy says he was chatting on the ferry [you are not allowed to stay in your car] to a couple from Ryde who were just returning from their test at Portsmouth.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
May I suggest detoxing from Facebook? Or at the very least switch off your notifications. My wife is similar in that she reads Facebook a lot and just gets angry. I've deleted my Facebook account and feel a lot better for doing so as whilst it is great for a few things, it also exposes you to lots of other peoples stupid opinions. Which to be honest for the sake of my mental health and well being I do not need. Enjoy your dog walk, that is my go to way of destressing, stick a podcast on, noise cancelling headphones to cut the world out, walk the dog, lovely.
Sound advice 👍. I don't go on much but a break is probably in order.

The mood wasn't helped by an employee chatting about the rules this afternoon. It came out that her household is in a bubble with about 5 other people 🙄. Everyone had their own bubble, some had 2. We explained the rules, I don't think she will change. Deep sigh.

Thread starter #9,459

drdel

Tour Rookie
Sound advice 👍. I don't go on much but a break is probably in order.

The mood wasn't helped by an employee chatting about the rules this afternoon. It came out that her household is in a bubble with about 5 other people 🙄. Everyone had their own bubble, some had 2. We explained the rules, I don't think she will change. Deep sigh.
I just don't understand why so many people just seem intent on finding ways to get around common sense health advice:mad::mad::mad: