Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

That's the million dollar question isn't it. If you can get re-infected then theoretically we could be in some form of lockdown for the rest of our lives as it will never go away. Weird times indeed.
Novel in its name but coronaviruses aren’t new. My theory is it’s here to stay and will become part and parcel with life.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Do people really expect a 'Full university experience' at the moment. Surely the reason to go to university is to learn and achieve qualifications, if you have to do that in a different way for a while then that's the reality of life right now. The Open University have been doing it for a very long time now and managing to turn out graduates in large numbers. Yes it great to have a social life as a young person but people throughout history have needed to accept the times they lived in meant a big change in lifestyle.

Lilyhawk

Swedish Cam Impersonator
Herd immunity is a very risky and costly strategy, even in the young.
I'm talking distinctly about the kids that are locked up now in their student halls as COVID has spread there and they're supposedly not going anywhere the next few weeks anyway. Not about a blanket spread of young people in general. Looking at the numbers up until 18th September, there's 570 people that have died whilst tested positive of COVID in the age bracket between 15-44, which would be just about 1% of all deceased of COVID in England and Wales, so it seems to me that the risk is fairly low, but then again, I'm not a doctor like you.

DRW

Tour Rookie
I'm talking distinctly about the kids that are locked up now in their student halls as COVID has spread there and they're supposedly not going anywhere the next few weeks anyway. Not about a blanket spread of young people in general. Looking at the numbers up until 18th September, there's 570 people that have died whilst tested positive of COVID in the age bracket between 15-44, which would be just about 1% of all deceased of COVID in England and Wales, so it seems to me that the risk is fairly low, but then again, I'm not a doctor like you.
Its a problem, some only see the Virus as a stand alone problem, which clearly it isn't.

There are going to be 1,000s die from cancer early due to NHS effectively deferring urgent referrals/treatment. Some of those will have 30-40 odd years knocked off their lives, not just a few years(one statistic I have read is that a quarter of the covid deaths had dementia, and dementia isn't nice and a one way ticket iirc:(). That ignores other surgery, diseases, poverty etc that are not being treated now, its going to cause large issues moving forward. All because you cant catch them and Covid deaths are seen as more important. This whole matter is a trade off, not a one way street for covid, yeah I see that covid can go big and big quickly.

Vaccines have problems, as you would probably know, IIRC Sweden had a scandal from a rushed Swine Flu vaccine not that long ago. EDIT and the swine flu didn't turn into what was predicted.

Even if a vaccine comes along, do you risk a vaccine on the younger people who probably wont be overly effected by the virus and ironically the old people take to vaccines less effectively, so will we actually have a 95%ish vaccine in the next year, who knows there are no guarantees to that.

Can you imagine if a virus called Spanish Flu or like came about now, what the response would be, millions dying from a virus or a really deadly pathogen.

It certainly has opened my eyes and are the West best to deal with another pandemic...….maybe places like China has it right, not that I would like to live there :unsure:

I don't like any of the choices or options, as many will die from any of them....

Its all about balance and at the moment it is not possible to have any kind of sensible risk based discussions or how we really move forward ? as this thread has shown many times....

Ethan

Money List Winner
The risk is fairly low, but not zero, and best avoided. There is little individual or societal benefit in students getting Covid at this stage. Long Covid is now well recognised in community cases and can be nasty.

DRW

Tour Rookie
The risk is fairly low, but not zero, and best avoided. There is little individual or societal benefit in students getting Covid at this stage. Long Covid is now well recognised in community cases and can be nasty.
Last year I caught a virus in about September that effected my breathing and it wasn't until about May, I felt normal. Still can not blow into the blower thing as well as I could prior.

When I caught glandular Fever when I was younger, it was about a year before I was back to normal. Some people never get back to normal, Robert Soldering was a well know case, top tennis player irrc.

Effects of virus afterwards, are not new and many people suffer from middle to long term virus issues, not surprisingly as your body is taking a right hammering when you are infected.

Maybe more will suffer with long covid than all other virus, time will tell.

We need a balanced conversation, proper balanced information, proper risk based discussions and not just the scare stories, like stupid doubling every 7 days examples.

Spains cases have dropped quickly, I wonder why ;):LOL: and wonder if the UK will follow suit.....

Ethan

Money List Winner
Last year I caught a virus in about September that effected my breathing and it wasn't until about May, I felt normal. Still can not blow into the blower thing as well as I could prior.

When I caught glandular Fever when I was younger, it was about a year before I was back to normal. Some people never get back to normal, Robert Soldering was a well know case, top tennis player irrc.

Effects of virus afterwards, are not new and many people suffer from middle to long term virus issues, not surprisingly as your body is taking a right hammering when you are infected.

Maybe more will suffer with long covid than all other virus, time will tell.

We need a balanced conversation, proper balanced information, proper risk based discussions and not just the scare stories, like stupid doubling every 7 days examples.

Spains cases have dropped quickly, I wonder why and wonder if the UK will follow suit.....
I sense a circular discussion here, but I don't see what your central point is.

On the one hand, you say we need more info, more data (I paraphrase, but agree) but on the other, even though you have personal knowledge of post-viral syndromes, you seem to be OK with Covid spreading though the captive students.

Do you not see a logical inconsistency there?

The doubling time point, presumably the one made by Vallance, was not a prediction but a model of what it would look like, intended to stimulate action to prevent to from occurring. Angela Merkel used much the same strategy today. It is powerful because people don't have a feel for how quickly exponential growth can move.

Lilyhawk

Swedish Cam Impersonator
Since you’re ignoring all the medical experts and government advice I don’t think I’ll waste my time.
Wasn't aware that wearing a face mask on public transport and other indoor venues, working from home, not shaking hands and washing hands often with soap was ignoring medical experts and government advice. Well, I learn something new each day. Thanks for the schooling! (y)

Fair enough. Am I right in thinking then that under the current situation we're in, we've just got to sit tight and wait for a vaccine to be ready?

DRW

Tour Rookie
I sense a circular discussion here, but I don't see what your central point is.

On the one hand, you say we need more info, more data (I paraphrase, but agree) but on the other, even though you have personal knowledge of post-viral syndromes, you seem to be OK with Covid spreading though the captive students.

Do you not see a logical inconsistency there?

The doubling time point, presumably the one made by Vallance, was not a prediction but a model of what it would look like, intended to stimulate action to prevent to from occurring. Angela Merkel used much the same strategy today. It is powerful because people don't have a feel for how quickly exponential growth can move.
Oh yeah there is inconsistency as such in my ramblings, :LOL::LOL::LOL: This isn't a black/white solution in my eyes, there are so many options and I don't like any of them, all of them take to long and all have to much colleteral damage with each path.

Be shocked if anyone doesn't have inconsistencies or struggle with the trade offs. At this stage, each action is going to kill people, its only a matter of who and how many...……….

Mr Vs example, hmm I would have suggested doing a model for doubling cases daily, that would have looked really scary(and more stupid), like many thought his chart read. Its wrong to use science in that way, as it comes back to haunt you later and anyway the people you are trying to change probably aren't watching the slide show ;):ROFLMAO:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Ate in my clubhouse today for first time since. They have an outside table service so been using that

Mask to be work until at table

Track and trace QI scan available so tagged in

Do your hands then they take your temp. If ok in you go..

Waitress in mask , takes your order. Payment by card or clubcard only

Ethan

Money List Winner
Mr Vs example, hmm I would have suggested doing a model for doubling cases daily, that would have looked really scary(and more stupid), like many thought his chart read. Its wrong to use science in that way, as it comes back to haunt you later and anyway the people you are trying to change probably aren't watching the slide show ;):ROFLMAO:
Just to defend Vallance a bit, and I am not his biggest fan, what he was saying was fair comment.

He wasn’t saying this is what is going to happen. He said this is what happened before and will happen again if we don’t get our asses in gear. He will be very happy, and have done his job if that bad number doesn’t happen.

DRW

Tour Rookie
Just to defend Vallance a bit, and I am not his biggest fan, what he was saying was fair comment.

He wasn’t saying this is what is going to happen. He said this is what happened before and will happen again if we don’t get our asses in gear. He will be very happy, and have done his job if that bad number doesn’t happen.
However life is nothing like it was back then, so seems just a lie. However don't dispute the point you make.

This guy is keeping a log and lots of other charts, if anyone is into charts and data. Think I have rambled enough, have fun:)

https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1310964651203665920
EjF7NaVWkAAThl8.png

Ethan

Money List Winner
However life is nothing like it was back then, so seems just a lie. However don't dispute the point you make.

This guy is keeping a log and lots of other charts, if anyone is into charts and data. Think I have rambled enough, have fun:)

https://twitter.com/RP131/status/1310964651203665920
View attachment 32557

Well, we did see exponential growth previously, with a doubling time of less than 7 days. The current numbers of positive tests are an underestimate because many can't get tests and therefore can't test positive.

But as I said, his intent was not to be right but to stimulate action to prove him wrong.

Reemul

Head Pro
They can't win though, if enough people do as they should it will fall, like we need it to and then people say he's as full of rubbish and miles out, if we do nothing an dit goes sky high and people die we get the goivernment are poor and no nothing.

Some people unfortunately cannot look at things in a nuanced manner and understand the multiple paths it will go depending on what we do, they just want black and white answers and solutions, something we won't have presently.

Any reasons being given on why it is so bad up north and not down south.