Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Aye - there are some rather weird religious types with rather weird and misguided views - just as there are weird atheists and agnostics with their own weird and misguided views on the matter of wearing a mask. But they amount to the same thing.
Do tell me the views of atheists (i.e. rationalists) on mask wearing which are as misguided as those of this nutcase.

Do tell me the views of atheists (i.e. rationalists) on mask wearing which are as misguided as those of this nutcase.
Is it misguided to argue against wearing a mask as it being an attack against my personal freedoms...I think it is. I would not suggest that as being as misguided as the views held by some of extreme and IMO very misguided and dangerous religious thinking. But in the end they amount to the same thing. Not wearing a mask in a store. Doesn't really matter how you get there.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Either side indeed - to wear or not to wear. So you could equally have posted a video of an individual in a shop ranting against wearing a mask on the grounds of freedom of choice...
Maybe I could have (if I could find one) but that wouldn't support my anti religious point of view.
People say ''let them have their religion'' but when it tells them how to raise their children, who to vote for and threatens the lives of fellow shoppers, I can't agree.

Fortunately, it's the one aspect of American culture that that the UK hasn't copied....yet.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Had my first redundancy 1to1 today. Weirdly as I drove to the office I was anything but angry - got a bit choked which was unexpected. Still feel a teeny bit emosh ;) so off for a sunny bike ride to clear my head.

Think I'm fed up of being angry and frustrated at the whole scenario and how poorly its been handled (having said that the HR woman was brilliant today) so just going to try and chill, see out the year and move on.

GB72

Money List Winner
Had my first redundancy 1to1 today. Weirdly as I drove to the office I was anything but angry - got a bit choked which was unexpected. Still feel a teeny bit emosh ;) so off for a sunny bike ride to clear my head.

Think I'm fed up of being angry and frustrated at the whole scenario and how poorly its been handled (having said that the HR woman was brilliant today) so just going to try and chill, see out the year and move on.
I felt like that the one time I was made redundant. Knew I was going because there were people who, despite not being as able at the job as me, were considerably cheaper. Once I had made peace with that, I relaxed through the interviews with the only point that i pushed for being immediate release and payment of my notice and redundancy in one rather than having to work out my notice period. Once that was agreed, we agreed a last date to hand over any current work, I went in that day with a few bottles of fizz, had a drink with everyone I had worked with, walked out the office and never saw any of them again (I don't do work friends, too complicated and makes work harder to get away from).

Maybe I could have (if I could find one) but that wouldn't support my anti religious point of view.
People say ''let them have their religion'' but when it tells them how to raise their children, who to vote for and threatens the lives of fellow shoppers, I can't agree.

Fortunately, it's the one aspect of American culture that that the UK hasn't copied....yet.
yes indeed. Always worth remembering that in the UK we 'religious types' are not all the same...there are many differences. But whatever the differences I suggest that most 'religious types' in the UK are aghast and abhor what are masqueraded as Christian views by the Christian (largely evangelical) right in the States. You don't have to be anti-religious to find the views expressed in the video seriously misguided and dangerous.

GB72

Money List Winner
yes indeed. Always worth remembering that in the UK we 'religious types' are not all the same...there are many differences. But whatever the differences I suggest that most 'religious types' in the UK are aghast and abhor what are masqueraded as Christian views by the Christian (largely evangelical) right in the States. You don't have to be anti-religious to find the views expressed in the video seriously misguided and dangerous.
Serious question as my experience of the Christian Church is limited to village church sermons. Does the UK have any element of those extreme views shown in the US.

Serious question as my experience of the Christian Church is limited to village church sermons. Does the UK have any element of those extreme views shown in the US.
My experience of evangelic churches (where more extreme views are more likely to be found in some congregations) in the UK is limited but I have heard views expressed from a standpoint not too far from that of the woman in the video. Mind you a bit of calvanist fire and brimstone preaching can sound a bit OTT these days -and it’s not that long ago that one Sunday I was berated by an old fellow on a Stornaway beach for me and my mate doing a bit of cleaning of my mates dinghy.

IainP

Tour Rookie
Lockdown seems so far away
95 days clear in general population
Didn't even use a mask at the course today
Hindsight says 'hard and fast' was the way to go
I was reflecting only this morning, how hard and possibly unfair you and others on the island were finding it a bit back, and right now - it all seems like the right decisions were made. Hindsight eh.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Lady Doon was contemplating a grand daughters birthday cake with candles during covid.
Came up with a clever solution.

Wee block of wood with two small holes for candles. Wrap in tin foil and place on the cake.
Do the 'Happy Birthday' bit take off the block of wood for her to blow the candles out.
+ it's re-useable.

How is ths CV starting to spread again? If people follow the gov instructions this should not be happening. God forbid if they lock my area down.

Why is it only certain areas that are now in lock down? Just what have they been doing / not been doing?

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
How is ths CV starting to spread again? If people follow the gov instructions this should not be happening. God forbid if they lock my area down.

Why is it only certain areas that are now in lock down? Just what have they been doing / not been doing?
The government use a random number generator each week to decide which areas go down into lockdown. So they look at the numbers in your postcode and if they match you go into lockdown. As for why it is starting to spread again then it is either down to the fact that more people are mixing due to the recent relaxations, mostly driven by the need to get the economy up and running again, and mixing is how the virus spreads. Or 5G. Take your pick. And just a heads up to avoid any future disappointment, the government's measures do not mean the virus will not spread. If they wanted no spreading to happen we would all be in very severe lockdown.

And yes god forbid they lock down your area, if they do I suggest you join the increasing band of brave patriots and freedom fighters by not wearing a mask in Lidl and posting it on social media. True selfless heroes.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

I was reflecting only this morning, how hard and possibly unfair you and others on the island were finding it a bit back, and right now - it all seems like the right decisions were made. Hindsight eh.
One governments hindsight is anothers foresight. Depending on what the outcome is.

Last edited:
The government use a random number generator to decide which areas go down into lockdown. So they look at the numbers in your postcode and if they match you go into lockdown. As for why it is starting to spread again then it is either down to the fact that more people are mixing due to the recent relaxations, mostly driven by the need to get the economy up and running again, and mixing is how the virus spreads. Or 5G. Take your pick. And just a heads up to avoid any future disappointment, the government's measures do not mean the virus will not spread. If they wanted no spreading to happen we would all be in very severe lockdown.

And yes god forbid they lock down your area, if they do I suggest you join the increasing band of brave patriots and freedom fighters by not wearing a mask in Lidl and posting it on social media. True heroes.
As the Victoria state government has applied to Melbourne. A city of 5m with a curfew from 8pm to 5am, and very strict constraints on what you can do and where you can go the rest of the time. And I believe that Melbourne's numbers of infections and deaths are pretty consistent with what we are seeing across the UK at the moment as a whole.

And it is going to be in place for at least 4 weeks. They want to stamp on it hard.

DRW

Tour Rookie
Are virus cases really rising, lots of conflicting data currently (first time this has been applicable, before almost all data has being pointing the same direction before).

A small take on it :-

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-cases-in-england-arent-rising-heres-why/

Also bear in mind, Daily Hospitalisations continue to drop in the main, triage and 111 data also tending to indicating things not getting worse, false positives come out more with more testing, more testing done(so naturally more proper positives being picked up) and more testing being done in hotspots, so more positives being picked up than previously testing done..

ONS survey data says its increasing, but numbers and confidence levels aren't great with that.

Hacker Khan

Are virus cases really rising, lots of conflicting data currently (first time this has been applicable, before almost all data has being pointing the same direction before).

A small take on it :-

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-cases-in-england-arent-rising-heres-why/

Also bear in mind, Daily Hospitalisations continue to drop in the main, triage and 111 data also tending to indicating things not getting worse, false positives come out more with more testing, more testing done(so naturally more proper positives being picked up) and more testing being done in hotspots, so more positives being picked up than previously testing done..

ONS survey data says its increasing, but numbers and confidence levels aren't great with that.
Isn't that what Trump says?