Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
I saw a lesson being given this morning, no question. The car was fully emblazoned, L triangle on the top. The learner driver had a mask and gloves on. There was certainly no attempt to go under the radar.
We're still officially not going back until Saturday but I've seen a few out already.
Still no guidance from the powers that be as to safety protocols, what we can and can't do..the announcement was almost a week ago.
1 thing they are saying is that windows have to be open to provide adequate ventilation...ok, what happens when it rains..?
Windows up and all of a sudden you're in an enclosed tin box with a teenager who could be asymptomatic...so looking forward to going back to work....:oops:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
We're still officially not going back until Saturday but I've seen a few out already.
Still no guidance from the powers that be as to safety protocols, what we can and can't do..the announcement was almost a week ago.
1 thing they are saying is that windows have to be open to provide adequate ventilation...ok, what happens when it rains..?
Windows up and all of a sudden you're in an enclosed tin box with a teenager who could be asymptomatic...so looking forward to going back to work....:oops:
The driver was coming off a dual carriageway and onto a roundabout, it was also raining. The window was definitely up. To have it down would have been noisy, wet and unpleasant as well as distracting.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
The driver was coming off a dual carriageway and onto a roundabout, it was also raining. The window was definitely up. To have it down would have been noisy, wet and unpleasant as well as distracting.
That's another issue. Add in a face covering, which looks to be on the cards, and communication at anything over 40 is nigh on impossible..
Looks like the common sense stuff of sanitizing the car between lessons and taking temperature before seem to be coming in but we're guessing.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
That's another issue. Add in a face covering, which looks to be on the cards, and communication at anything over 40 is nigh on impossible..
Looks like the common sense stuff of sanitizing the car between lessons and taking temperature before seem to be coming in but we're guessing.
Do you have a National Assotiation or Professional body that would find out the details for you.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Do you have a National Assotiation or Professional body that would find out the details for you.
The DVSA have, apparently, told them (NASP - National Associations Strategic Partnership) and they're working out what it means to us...
Might get something tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.
DVSA have been utterly useless throughout this mess, giving no information or saying it's due shortly - and then we have to wait a week or 2 for it.

I was speaking to my friend and neighbour the Minister a month ago. He was a bit glum with what was happening so I'm gave him my business plan for the village church.

There is a small field adjacent to the manse, get a mower and mow circles 2m apart for social distancing.
Get a large soap box and borrow a PA system, get the half dozen or so village guitarists to accompany the singers/choir.
Collection payment would be by pre payed Pay Pal.
Basically go back to the Wee Frees.
This seemed to cheer him up quite a bit but then he said 'what do we do if it rains.':love:
In SW Scotland that would be a throwback to Covenanter days - though they wouldn’t be singing 👍😊

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Imurg

Don't mean this in a disparaging way, but given the Covid fiasco etc have you considered other career paths?
It's getting more tempting by the hour.
Found out this morning that nobody will be allowed inside test centres "to enforce SD requirements", tests will be cut short once a major(fail) fault is made - "to minimise time in the car" and yet they're happy for ADIs to sit 6 inches from someone for 2 hours.....we have to have windows open so if it rains we either drown or put the wi does up and potentially get Covid....
Biggest drawback is that it's not the best of times to be loo,jng for another job.........but, Boy, is it getting closer.....

Kaz

Just had a quick lunch time trip up to the newly re-opened driving range and was quite impressed by how they've organised things. Plus new mats and balls and tidied up targets - was all good.

Caught some of the FM's briefing on the radio on the way and it seems like they've come up with a sensible approach to balance the safety of 2m distancing and the needs to reduce that for some businesses. I completely back mandating masks in shops. I nipped into American Golf after I'd hit balls and was impressed that the vast majority of customers were indeed wearing masks even though it's not yet mandatory.

Just had a conversation with our lad. Very down, very upset and very angry. Just off a conference call with his management and HR - and his job in the nightclub and events company he worked for has gone - and not just his job, but the whole tier of local management he was in - all gone right across the company. As a result he and his now redundant colleagues across the UK (many with a lot more experience than he has) view is that their career in that business sector has basically gone for good.

And the unfortunate fact is that their skills and experience were not simply in the business they were employed by - but in that sector. Those in the same role in other similar companies who are fortunate to keep their job (though it is doubtful many will) will develop the experience needed for the next step up the ladder. But he can't see how he'll be able to get that experience - so that's pretty much that. Hopes dreams and ambitions down the plug-hole.

Tell him to just accept the situation and go looking for another career? - and you will get a swift rebuke if not a punch in the face...

As he said - I'm 28 - for the last 6 years I've been building experience towards the next step in my career and was there ready to make it - when bang - the whole thing collapses around my feet in rubble. I was supposed to be entering the period of highest earning potential and now I am told I must start again at the beginning of whatever new career path I must now follow - me and the hundreds of thousands of new graduates and others who have found their lives completely turned upside down.

Anyway - looks like he'll be looking into barbering or teaching assistant.

So very sad for so very many...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
During lock down I got in a fair amount of walking. I did something for the first time for a few years today - 9 holes walking the course!! Normally I just about manage 6 or 7 before my legs give up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Can't say I will be taking up the chancellors offer of a cheap meal out come August...
I will, anything to ensure that my local is still up and running when this is over. May not be great going there for a beer at the moment but more than happy to go for a meal once a week with 50% off plus more benefits due to the lower VAT.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
I've been told I have to attend a two day workshop in a hotel next week. Programme Kick-off session with drinks and dinner in the evening! (presumably under approved regs)

I said, that I am attending the work bit under (gentle) protest but refused to attend drinks, dinner or stay over night in the hotel. Getting some right ear ache over it too. Whole dam thing could have been done over Teams, so no need to be there at all.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
I will, anything to ensure that my local is still up and running when this is over. May not be great going there for a beer at the moment but more than happy to go for a meal once a week with 50% off plus more benefits due to the lower VAT.

I am still a bit reserved about spending too much time in an enclosed environment with 'strangers'... If the weather perked up and I could book a table in an outside environment I'd probably be a bit more disposed to go for it... I've shifted sufficient poundage that I feel I am probably deserving of a blow out!

GB72

Money List Winner
I am still a bit reserved about spending too much time in an enclosed environment with 'strangers'... If the weather perked up and I could book a table in an outside environment I'd probably be a bit more disposed to go for it... I've shifted sufficient poundage that I feel I am probably deserving of a blow out!
Guess it is all down to circumstances. Mine is a small village pub where I know pretty much everyone and I do feel relaxed. Outside of that environment, I would not be so sure and may be more like you

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Two regions in Spain have now mandated the use of masks in public, irrespective of the previous social distancing criteria.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Guess it is all down to circumstances. Mine is a small village pub where I know pretty much everyone and I do feel relaxed. Outside of that environment, I would not be so sure and may be more like you
I used the clubhouse for a drink last night. Feel confident the staff are compliant and diligent with their H&S and more confident that I know the people I'm sharing space with, having played golf with a few of them recently. Not sure even using the small country pub we use I'd feel overly comfy not knowing everyone in there.