Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Local news was.reporting 16000 on camber sands beaches yesterday and despite warnings about swimming people were still going in.

I hope it's rains on the 4th.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Today mark's 100 days since I last gave a driving lesson.......and we're still in the dark as to when we can resume.
I had 3 months off while I was training in 04 as I broke my ankle - couldn't wait to get back.
Now it's getting to the point where I'm not sure I care if I'm able to go back or not.......
It's certainly going to be hard.
Well, it seems Rees-Mogg has told the world that lessons can resume from 4th July...........I didnt see/hear it and I find out when I get parents calling to book lessons...
Could have gone in the RI thread - would have been nice to find out im going back to work before everyone else but beggars can't etc etc.....
Got a busy afternoon ahead.....the diary needs Lazarus-Like attention..

GB72

Money List Winner
I agree that the beach situation is not good (understatement) but I am also going to be controversial and attribute some of the blame to the local authority. Hottest day of the year, people on furlough who are coming to the end of weeks in lockdown, kids off school for many, end of Jun and people have not had their annual trip abroad and are unlikely to now, you do not have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that this was going to result in a significant number of people heading to beaches. Surely there has been some planning between the police, local authority and other agencies to address how this would be dealt with, including turning people away before they got to the beach. It is not as if this the first time that this has happened over recent weeks.

The expectation appears to be that everyone who has traveled there should look at the number of people, turn round and head home which, whilst I am sure that many of us will profess that this is exactly what we would do, is not realistic. Surely the simpler solution is to be turning people away before the numbers got so big. So, I am attributing the blame equally between the idiot minority and the local authority.

GB72

Money List Winner
Well, it seems Rees-Mogg has told the world that lessons can resume from 4th July...........I didnt see/hear it and I find out when I get parents calling to book lessons...
Could have gone in the RI thread - would have been nice to find out im going back to work before everyone else but beggars can't etc etc.....
Got a busy afternoon ahead.....the diary needs Lazarus-Like attention..
It is on the BBC news live feed now. Apparently DVLA writing to instructors today with update and guidelines for 4th July start.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
It is on the BBC news live feed now. Apparently DVLA writing to instructors today with update and guidelines for 4th July start.
You'd have thought they'd have had it already written so it could be sent moments after JRM made the announcement.
2 hours gone and nothing......real professional outfit the DVSA(n):rolleyes::poop:
My phone's melting.....and weve got 3 months worth of newbies that want to start....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
I agree that the beach situation is not good (understatement) but I am also going to be controversial and attribute some of the blame to the local authority. Hottest day of the year, people on furlough who are coming to the end of weeks in lockdown, kids off school for many, end of Jun and people have not had their annual trip abroad and are unlikely to now, you do not have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out that this was going to result in a significant number of people heading to beaches. Surely there has been some planning between the police, local authority and other agencies to address how this would be dealt with, including turning people away before they got to the beach. It is not as if this the first time that this has happened over recent weeks.

The expectation appears to be that everyone who has traveled there should look at the number of people, turn round and head home which, whilst I am sure that many of us will profess that this is exactly what we would do, is not realistic. Surely the simpler solution is to be turning people away before the numbers got so big. So, I am attributing the blame equally between the idiot minority and the local authority.

Lots of planning and local communication from an underfunded local council down here who are ultimately utterly powerless since the government opened the country and declared a free for all. The local council do not have the power to turn cars away ever since the government took off restriction on how far you can travel. What basis would they be stopping people and turning them away?

Not to mention the same local coalition council having to waste time to fight off a vote of no confidence from the local tory party as the coalition lost their majority when a local councillor died of coronavirus.

Doesnt help its a newly formed council of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole that the latter 2 wanted to remain separate from and there are lots of conflicting agendas, not to mention several noses out of joint

Have just driven past the front here, car parks are full and roads down to them barriered off and traffic being stopped. All it is resulting in is people dumping cars anywhere and everywhere. Traffic wardens are out ticketing too. What else can the council do?

GB72

Money List Winner
You'd have thought they'd have had it already written so it could be sent moments after JRM made the announcement.
2 hours gone and nothing......real professional outfit the DVSA(n):rolleyes::poop:
My phone's melting.....and weve got 3 months worth of newbies that want to start....
Guessing that it will probably be coming by post not email if the governing bodies I deal with are anything to go by. Ironically, lockdown would have been the perfect time to have started with the newbies as the roads would have been empty.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Guessing that it will probably be coming by post not email if the governing bodies I deal with are anything to go by. Ironically, lockdown would have been the perfect time to have started with the newbies as the roads would have been empty.
You're not wrong....
Cant start planning things until I know what I need to do between lessons and during......need communication soon...

Slab

Money List Winner
This is covid related but it doesn't affect me, neither does it belong in the political covid thread but we don't have a covid thread of shame:

Those rioting in Brixton can easily be given the tag irresponsible (& most I’m sure would say it’s an understatement)
The thousands of football fans celebrating together last night are also irresponsible
The tens of thousands packed on dozens of beaches get that tag too

All in the last 24 hours

(I make no comparison between these three very different groups other than the obvious mass gatherings/breaches of social distancing etc)

But what an absolute kick in the teeth to everyone lost prematurely, everyone that tried to save those that died, friends and relatives that lost someone and (regardless of your allegiance) a kick to the politicians that tried their best to govern those people through the pandemic and lastly a kick to all those people that wanted to go to the beach and didn't, that wanted to party but didn't, that wanted to celebrate with fellow fans but didn't

Maybe these are the same ‘people’ from the quoted 6 million in Britain that didn’t comply & broke the rules during the more stringent lockdown phase & maybe we cannot expect anything better from them, maybe some of them even had the nerve to clap for the NHS, to donate to Captain Tom, maybe they’ve spent weeks where they've done little but whine and moan about xyz politician or this or that restriction

There can be little said to defend their behaviour in gathering together because unlike the recent marches/demonstrations or breaches of lockdown by individuals driven by care or compassion. These appalling scenes were all derived from an intent for self gratification and indulgence

Shame on them

Fish

Major Champion
I'm seeing loads of lessons being taken in branded learner vehicles all over the country, and especially in and around London.

Fish

Major Champion
I can't find anywhere in the lounge to post this, so if its in the wrong place, tough!

So, England Golf new guidelines email received, and its great news for clubhouses opening on July 4th, so we can now access the bar and restaurant, BUT, the changing rooms can't open, who thought that one up?

Now I don't know about you, but when naked with other naked people around me, I'm not too keen on getting that close anyway:unsure:

Will clubs be supplying free deodorant so we can breathe in the bar :eek:

Thread starter #7,877

drdel

Tour Rookie
The Bournemouth issue is terrible. However if a family caught a bus, train or drove to the beach to give their kids etc a break they wouldnot have known that 10,000 other were doing the same.

That is different from protests, raves etc organised to bring large numbers of people together.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
The Bournemouth issue is terrible. However if a family caught a bus, train or drove to the beach to give their kids etc a break they wouldnot have known that 10,000 other were doing the same.

That is different from protests, raves etc organised to bring large numbers of people together.
Train maybe, on the others theyd have been pretty aware based on the traffic levels miles and miles before they got close to the beaches. Do they turn around? no of course not they sit in traffic then dump there 4x4 wherever they want because the car parks are full not even bothered if they are blocking peoples property/restricting access for emergency vehicles and happy to pay the parking fine as its not enough of a deterrent to the me me me generation

pendodave

Tour Rookie
I can't find anywhere in the lounge to post this, so if its in the wrong place, tough!

So, England Golf new guidelines email received, and its great news for clubhouses opening on July 4th, so we can now access the bar and restaurant, BUT, the changing rooms can't open, who thought that one up?

Now I don't know about you, but when naked with other naked people around me, I'm not too keen on getting that close anyway:unsure:

Will clubs be supplying free deodorant so we can breathe in the bar :eek:
Likewise re close contact in the shower. I really miss a wash after golf.
Maybe the public schoolboys writing these rules have a rather different experience of soapy encounters...