Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
The Oxford University model suggested that 50% of us already had it weeks ago, and anecdotal evidence that I'm aware of suggests that this has been with us a lot longer than when the lockdown started. We need more testing to verify that and start returning to normality if it is the case.
Definitely a consensus around work that most of us have had it to one degree or another and certainly several guys who were rough as far back as January and February are wondering if it could have been corona and not the usual winter bugs

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
The Oxford University model suggested that 50% of us already had it weeks ago, and anecdotal evidence that I'm aware of suggests that this has been with us a lot longer than when the lockdown started. We need more testing to verify that and start returning to normality if it is the case.
I've read a few medical opinions now that suggest its been here a lot longer than we thought, some as far back as last autumn.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
I raised this point somewhere else as both myself and older Colch jnr were ill back in February with a dry cough, fever and sore throat and wondered if we had a minor case of it back then. The, very valid, response I got was that if the virus was here back in Jan/Feb why weren't we seeing the excess deaths back then that we have seen more recently? I have no answer to that.

EDIT - When you look at the excess deaths graph in this article it only starts to shoot up towards the end of March. If it had been here for much longer shouldn't we have seen excess deaths far earlier than that?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-uk-deaths-during-covid-19-outbreak-says-ons

GB72

Money List Winner
I certainly think it went through my village around new year. So many people went down with a pretty full set of covid symptoms but if nobody was looking for it, nobody was going to diagnose it. Ended up with varying diagnosis based around respiratory infections etc.

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
I raised this point somewhere else as both myself and older Colch jnr were ill back in February with a dry cough, fever and sore throat and wondered if we had a minor case of it back then. The, very valid, response I got was that if the virus was here back in Jan/Feb why weren't we seeing the excess deaths back then that we have seen more recently? I have no answer to that.
Were we not seeing the deaths or were we not recording them as Covid 19 related? Bearing in mind that January & February are the flu season, could a slight raise in figures at that stage, especially given those likely to be victims, not be written off as flu victims?

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Were we not seeing the deaths or were we not recording them as Covid 19 related? Bearing in mind that January & February are the flu season, could a slight raise in figures at that stage, especially given those likely to be victims, not be written off as flu victims?
Edited my post to include an article that shows a graph of excess deaths from the start of the year. Until the middle of March the death rate for the year is actually below average and then increases. I hope to God that it has been here a lot longer than has been reported but the figures don't seem to support that.

Last edited:

DanFST

Head Pro
So many people went down with a pretty full set of covid symptoms but if nobody was looking for it, nobody was going to diagnose it

China didn't report it to the WHO until 31st of December.

If a full Independent investigation ever happens, some of the findings could be scary.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
We were definitely not looking at Covid for a long time as a cause of death and it was only when the first death on 5th March that was directly related to Covid was there that realisation that perhaps not all other recent deaths were as they seemed. Looking at this, Reading this https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-by-time-uk-reported-first-coronavirus-death there seems a definite indication that it was already prevalent and killing

Blue in Munich

Money List Winner
Edited my post to include an article that shows a graph of excess deaths from the start of the year. Until the middle of March the death rate for the year is actually below average and then increases. I hope to God that it has been here a lot longer than has been reported but the figures don't seem to support that.
If it was an extremely mild year for normal flu then the start of the pandemic figures could still be incorrectly masked in the flu figures and be below average. I understand your concerns about the figures not apparently supporting it, but the more I read the more convinced I am that it has been here longer.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
If it was an extremely mild year for normal flu then the start of the pandemic figures could still be incorrectly masked in the flu figures and be below average. I understand your concerns about the figures not apparently supporting it, but the more I read the more convinced I am that it has been here longer.
I really hope that you are right and that what we are seeing the end of now is the end of the second wave, and that we have far more than previously thought that have already had it and have some form of immunity. Fingers crossed you are correct as that would be a much better outcome than current suggestions.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Just been catching up on the daily briefing where Matt Hancock wasn't able to give an answer as to when weddings might be able to re-start. If I arrange a wedding and claim that it's not actually a wedding but that my gathering is a protest for black lives matter does that mean that it's OK for us to go ahead?

Also been hearing radio adverts from the Government that say that if I am contacted by a contact tracer because I've been in close contact to someone that has tested positive then I "must isolate for 14 days". Well that seems reasonable, but is this in the same way that if anyone in my household is showing symptoms then "the whole household must isolate for 14 days" unless I'm a government adviser, in which case I can return to work that afternoon for a few hours and then drive 250 miles before I isolate? Even as someone that initially supported the government response to this crisis I find it very hard to follow their rules/guidelines now that they have shown that they are flexible depending on who you are.

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
So someone that I don't know has some symptoms that might be covid, has been near me, and I am supposed to self isolate for 14 days? Even if I think I have had it? Even if I haven't had it, I probably still won't get it, and might even be immune to it. I might even have been PPE'd up to the nines when I was supposedly in contact with them. It's not really going to work, is it.

Reemul

Head Pro
I do think it is a bit of wishful thinking, with the death rate lower than normal that is reflective of the lower flu rate. There is no indication of an uprise earlier for any reason, this more than likely an indication it was not over here in great enough numbers.

I too had a rough time both in January and February where I had 3 days off and then another 3 both feeling really rough with a very bad cold, symptoms could be Covid ones.

All of us want it gone, want things back to normal and it is human nature to clutch at straws, fancifulness and look for anything that gives us a ray of hope.

The reality is likely a few may have had it but it certainly wasn't widespread and probably just a week or 2 earlier at most.

Last edited:

Wolf

One of the many ways Covid-19 has affected my life is, I haven't physically seen my kids since before lockdown even though Cafcass stated government were allowing them between homes. But due their mum being high risk as she was in latter stages of pregnancy and then subsequently having the wee one and health visitor advise that it wasn't ideal timing for visits between houses, I have been video calling and patiently waited for what feels an eternity to see them and hug them. Well as of today their mum has the all clear medically for her and baby, meaning this Friday normal service is resumed and I can pick up my little ones and have them over for the week. To state I am excited is beyond any words I can find 😁😁😁😁

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
One of the many ways Covid-19 has affected my life is, I haven't physically seen my kids since before lockdown even though Cafcass stayed government were allowing them between homes. But due their mum being high risk as she was in latter stages of pregnancy along and then subsequently having the wee one and health visitor advise that it wasn't ideal timing for visits between houses, I have been video calling and patiently waited for what feels an eternity to see them and hug them. Well as of today their mum has the all clear medically for her and baby, meaning this Friday normal service is resumed and I can pick up my little ones and have them over for the week. To state I am excited is beyond any words I can find 😁😁😁😁
Great news mate, everyone has that one thing that they have been waiting to be allowed to do again more than anything else and it looks like you have just got yours.