Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

pauldj42

Money List Winner
No, the guidance is/was not confused. You just gave it when you said they announced an easing to begin on Monday. What was confusing about that.?
It boils down to people knowing what is expected of them , but saying, " sod it, I want to do it now"
And then doing it.
The statement wasn’t confusing, the message behind it was though.

What was/is the difference between changing the rules by 24/48/72 hours, did the risk lessen over that period?

If you want compliance you have to get all to buy in to your statement.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
But we are living it here, I just dont have any pictures of it to show you so linking the media is the only way. The beach front path is barely 2m's on it owns you cannot walk along it and social distance add in thousands of people and there is no social distancing. It would work if peole just sat 2m away from each other but they do nto, they get up , swim, play and do other stuff all meaning you are too close.

Many of the beach goers are meeting with other families in large groups, they are everywhere yet at the weekend this was not allowed and even now it's a maximum of 6 people per group yet there are massive groups.

The weekend before we went to Upton Country Park and counted 5 seperate groups with at least 2 groups per group and more than 6 people in them. Many people are not following any sort of social distancing rule. Some are but there are plenty who are not.[/QUOTE
So a different point of view from a different poster that would back up what I've seen on various local news (BBC and ITV so I'd argue different political agendas) and yet few seem to take issue with that point of view. I'm quite capable of making my own mind up based on the information seen rather than be fed a skewed view by the media.

murphthemog

Grand Slam Winner
Well back to the Bournemouth question. I have no idea how wide the promenade is. Is it 2 metres wide? I have no idea.

But, every half hour, regardless of how busy it is, the council drive a Mitsubishi L200 pick up truck along it. Through the hoards of people walking, cycling, skateboarding, scootering. Amazingly, there are no casualties. None. Now an L200 is 1750 wide, and it's Nissan brothers are wider.

I would guess the prom is 4m plus, in places 6m or more, in the busy bits, but less so near to Hengistbury, where it is less busy. Nearer 3m out there.

Plenty of room to self distance, as I have been doing, along with most people I have seen.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Yep, i think we just need a few more weeks or keeping things tight and we may get a decent summer and semblance of normal, just worry certain areas will be really poorly affected by things like this last week.

It would be a shame to spend 10 weeks doing it to bugger it all up at the last minute because i do not believe financially a second lockdown is viable or could be enforced, this is it so lets get it as good as we can (probably too late for that though)

Bournemouth Town Centre Today
I agree with you that a second lockdown wouldn't be as tightly observed. No doubt there were actually all social distancing and it was the camera angles that made it look like they were next to each other. With other protests there has to be a danger of infection spreading and these people will then take it back to their house and place of work (assuming they've returned or were in work - either way they will be a risk in the supermarket etc)

Reemul

Head Pro
Well back to the Bournemouth question. I have no idea how wide the promenade is. Is it 2 metres wide? I have no idea.

But, every half hour, regardless of how busy it is, the council drive a Mitsubishi L200 pick up truck along it. Through the hoards of people walking, cycling, skateboarding, scootering. Amazingly, there are no casualties. None. Now an L200 is 1750 wide, and it's Nissan brothers are wider.

I would guess the prom is 4m plus, in places 6m or more, in the busy bits, but less so near to Hengistbury, where it is less busy. Nearer 3m out there.

Plenty of room to self distance, as I have been doing, along with most people I have seen.
Again you must be blind, there are beach huts along lots of it at the bottom at the Branksome end, doors open it's even tighter, I have been walking down it for 20 year, where the food stalls are is narrow, all the toilets now have ramps, it's a lot narrower.

Again in places it is wider but in many places it is not, which means when it's rammed in plenty of places there is no room to social distance, add in the L200 going down and you are screwed for space especially in the above locations. I mean you have families walking, trucks going through, people queuing for the toilets and drinks, bike riders and everyone carting their gear along.

It is not about people getting injured or hurt it is about everyone social distancing at 2m's that's everyone not some or a few.

To be honest you are wrong, there is not enough room to social distance down the beach front in lots of places regardless of how you say it is when it is really busy and we are still in lockdown, in normal times who cares it's just a mass bundle. I really do not believe you go down, have visited it and especially when it is as busy as it was last week. If you had you would see it. This conversation is a tad embarassing now and I am bowing out as unless I walk down there next time it's heaving and record it myself I don't think you will ever believe it and probably wouldn't even if I did.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Again you must be blind, there are beach huts along lots of it at the bottom at the Branksome end, doors open it's even tighter, I have been walking down it for 20 year, where the food stalls are is narrow, all the toilets now have ramps, it's a lot narrower.

Again in places it is wider but in many places it is not, which means when it's rammed in plenty of places there is no room to social distance, add in the L200 going down and you are screwed for space especially in the above locations. I mean you have families walking, trucks going through, people queuing for the toilets and drinks, bike riders and everyone carting their gear along.

It is not about people getting injured or hurt it is about everyone social distancing at 2m's that's everyone not some or a few.

To be honest you are wrong, there is not enough room to social distance down the beach front in lots of places regardless of how you say it is when it is really busy and we are still in lockdown, in normal times who cares it's just a mass bundle. I really do not believe you go down, have visited it and especially when it is as busy as it was last week. If you had you would see it. This conversation is a tad embarassing now and I am bowing out as unless I walk down there next time it's heaving and record it myself I don't think you will ever believe it and probably wouldn't even if I did.
I think you will find that Chris has been down there a lot. My opinionm is that you can get a large number of people in an area like Bournemouth Beach and other popular outdoor spaces - but that the media love their photos that have no perspevtive and are made for a sensationlist headline. The disease does not spread easily in the open air and even in busier parks where i have been, the 2 metre gap is certainly breached in passing, but it is probably safe to a large degree. Far safer than doing any shopping indoors. The criticism on this subject is blown way out of proportion as far as i am concerned. It is good to see people enjoying the outdoors and we need to get back to reality and live with the disease, that is hopefully way past the peak, and get on and create economic activity so we can preserve jobs, sanity and catch up with the hundreds of thousands of people whose health has suffered because of this disease such in areas such as cancer diagnosis and treatments

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...stancing-rulebased-outdated-science-may-have/

Some more info on distancing as a lot are pushing for the 2m to be reduced to one metre

And as to the threat outdoors:
Prof Dingwall, an advocate of reducing social distancing to one metre, said that too many scientists were basing their calculations for safe distancing on transmission of the disease in the laboratory, failing to take into account real world conditions in which air flow played a huge part in dispersing the virus. He believes there is almost zero risk of catching Covid-19 outdoors and that one metre is sufficient for maintaining a safe social distance.

Swinglowandslow

You are more than a bit naive if you think that announcing on a thurs, lifting on a mon was ever going to work.
The lockdown & the restrictions have been the wet dream of the pious! This whole thing has. I’m not gonna tell anyone how to live but if I was vulnerable I would manage my risk.
You can’t rely on the ‘public’ to make life choices based on others risk. If it’s that crucial, remove the choice
It's not a question of whether I think that the public will adhere to instruction or advice. I happen to think that we now have more than our share of morons who will do what they want whenever they want regardless of the rights or protection of others.
But that doesn't mean that it is confusing for the government to issue advice or a ruling. There has to be timelines and/or boundaries somewhere.
People disregarding that , does not make it confusing. ( the word does have a precise meaning)

As to your last paragraph, you are right. What saddens me is that I am old enough to remember a time when most citizens were aware of when things were serious enough , to act responsibly for society rather than just for themselves.
And if things revert to a bad R rate, we may have to do it your way, unfortunately.

DRW

Tour Rookie
Has any country had any sort of “second wave” after easing of restrictions?

Why do people keep giving it as some sort of threat ?
Iran, if you believe figures published by countries: have a look at the graphs on this link :-

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/

Death and daily positives going up again, looks like a very quick 2nd wave and not tiny numbers like South korea/china/Germany and so on. Hard to imagine that the virus will just go away and not return if it is allowed to tbh

Swinglowandslow

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...stancing-rulebased-outdated-science-may-have/

Some more info on distancing as a lot are pushing for the 2m to be reduced to one metre

And as to the threat outdoors:
Prof Dingwall, an advocate of reducing social distancing to one metre, said that too many scientists were basing their calculations for safe distancing on transmission of the disease in the laboratory, failing to take into account real world conditions in which air flow played a huge part in dispersing the virus. He believes there is almost zero risk of catching Covid-19 outdoors and that one metre is sufficient for maintaining a safe social distance.
Yes, well where was Prof Dingwall when the lockdown first started and 2 metres was the yardstick(🙄).
There are now commercial pressures to replace 2 metres with 1 metre.
Publicans want 1 metre( wonder why?): pressure now about hairdressers, dentists and ,soon, I suspect, opticians.

Remember those autumn days when the temperatures meant your breath could be seen as a vapour. Just think about it. Do you want someone stood immediately behind you breathing all over your head, or looking into your eyes or mouth close up and you breathing their expelled air.
That's what it's about- breathing the expelled air of someone who has breathed the expelled air of some other person within the last few minutes, who has breathed the expelled......etc.
You are talking dentists, hairdressers, opticians....
You cannot change the facts about the nature of the job, just because the absence of their services is undesirable.
It has to be weighed up against what might happen health wise to you , if you do use them. ( Dentist need may be compelling)
The science doesn't change. Again, the science doesn't change.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner
Sadly 1 metre isnt going to help me much...as a driving instructor it needs to be gone completely....
Tests are supposed to restart on the 22nd and we cant even go back to work yet - hell, even Theory tests, when you sit in a office and work on a computer, are suspended until the 8th( minimum)
Talk of us going back for 4th July but I'm struggling to see how.
Nobody seems to know anything and nobody knows when they'll know something.
It's all getting a bit stressful and if I'm feeling stressed by it, I'm normally so laid back I'm horizontal, then times are getting bad.
Think I need a beer...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Sadly 1 metre isnt going to help me much...as a driving instructor it needs to be gone completely....
Tests are supposed to restart on the 22nd and we cant even go back to work yet - hell, even Theory tests, when you sit in a office and work on a computer, are suspended until the 8th( minimum)
Talk of us going back for 4th July but I'm struggling to see how.
Nobody seems to know anything and nobody knows when they'll know something.
It's all getting a bit stressful and if I'm feeling stressed by it, I'm normally so laid back I'm horizontal, then times are getting bad.
Think I need a beer...

take the 2nd grant and see where the land lies in August, oh and get the handicap down in the meantime ;)