Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

DanFST

Head Pro
Common sense tells me that little, if anything, is going to change in respect of the risk of infection in my back garden between 1pm Saturday and 1am Monday. And I say that as someone who has adhered rigorously to the rules since 23rd March.
If you keep your social distancing and don't share/touch anything it could be a month from now, the risk is no different.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Something has changed, whether it’s complacencey or the weather or people don’t care.

I went to the shops today for the first time in about 10 days, followed my normal routine, ie face mask etc, went to a fruit & veg shop and 1 small supermarket was out approx 30 minutes, I was the only person the whole time I was out wearing any form of PPE, even the shop assistants had dropped to gloves only.

Not saying for 1 minute I’m correct and everyone else is wrong, but I was a bit shocked, initially, virtually everyone wore a mask and a lot wore gloves, it has dropped off as times gone on, but to see nobody else today was a bit worrying.

Have I missed something? Has advice changed? Has the risk diminished?

Genuinely confused.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Positive Twitter time:

324 reported fatalities today, down on last Friday.

351 384 626 739 1005 935 1152 - for comparison.

Falling infections & hospitalisations will translate into further declines in fatalities.

It's important to calmly interpret these numbers - the trends are continuing to improve

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Something has changed, whether it’s complacencey or the weather or people don’t care.

I went to the shops today for the first time in about 10 days, followed my normal routine, ie face mask etc, went to a fruit & veg shop and 1 small supermarket was out approx 30 minutes, I was the only person the whole time I was out wearing any form of PPE, even the shop assistants had dropped to gloves only.

Not saying for 1 minute I’m correct and everyone else is wrong, but I was a bit shocked, initially, virtually everyone wore a mask and a lot wore gloves, it has dropped off as times gone on, but to see nobody else today was a bit worrying.

Genuinely confused.
We are poor as a nation for sticking to things .. also it should have been mandatory from weeks ago to weAr a face covering .. like u said before to keep the chance of spreading down

If everyone wore s face covering in areas where social distancing is harder we could return to a kind of normal quicker

Public transport would be easier for sure

As it happens, despite Monday's change in the rules in respect of gatherings in your garden - when my daughter is round on Saturday pm, Mrs SILH and myself are going to leave the garden to our daughter and her small group (3) of friends - there will be five of them in the garden in total - dropping to four after about an hour. Simply because we would be more than two households together at once. So still trying hard to keep as close as possible to the current guidelines - despite what common sense tells us.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer

Genuinely confused.
No need to be confused. I genuinely feel there is a very strong feeling, primarily from the younger part of society 16-30 seem that they are not going to get it and if they do it'll only be a mild form and they'll be fine. However most shop staff around the store do still seem to be masked and gloved although the cashiers behind the plastic screens seem to have gloves only. I assume the premise is the screen will protect the member of staff from a sneeze or cough

pauldj42

Money List Winner
No need to be confused. I genuinely feel there is a very strong feeling, primarily from the younger part of society 16-30 seem that they are not going to get it and if they do it'll only be a mild form and they'll be fine. However most shop staff around the store do still seem to be masked and gloved although the cashiers behind the plastic screens seem to have gloves only. I assume the premise is the screen will protect the member of staff from a sneeze or cough
No screen or added protection for staff, just gloves!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
No screen or added protection for staff, just gloves!
Seems poor.

On a plus side from my point of view, we are down in numbers to the point our main ICU unit is being returned to a cold zone (non-Covid) patients and all these will be manages in our other section of 12 beds. We only have 4 cases at the moment so some capacity if there is a localised spike. That makes life so much easier in terms of the technicians working in their normal office and servicing equipment and access to their stores. Our ward clerks can man the phones properly and be able to carry out their full range of duties and we can give nurses and doctors non-Covid patients to treat more often and give them a break from full shifts in PPE.

GB72

Money List Winner
Reading is a fairly large town as is Bracknell and everything I've seen last weekend and the last few days there has been scant regard towards social distancing and plenty of people seem to already visiting other people at their houses/gardens
With the general figures and the reports you give from your hospital this would suggest that this step will have minimal impact then if already actively in place on your community. Good news.

GB72

Money List Winner
Doesn't common sense tell people that Monday means Monday. If he announced it Sunday evening people would be complaining about the lack of notice.
Not sure why I need notice to meet my family and friends. Normally a quick message that I am walking round suffices. Before this they even just knock on the door and come in for a beer.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Not sure why I need notice to meet my family and friends. Normally a quick message that I am walking round suffices. Before this they even just knock on the door and come in for a beer.
I’m literally 15 seconds away from grabbing a bottle of red and heading to my next door neighbours garden for a catch up over some home made bread, home made salsa, olives and Springsteen. I’m not sure what Notice is required.

GB72

Money List Winner
I’m literally 15 seconds away from grabbing a bottle of red and heading to my next door neighbours garden for a catch up over some home made bread, home made salsa, olives and Springsteen. I’m not sure what Notice is required.
I have a whole 200 yards to walk to mine. Just move the contents of my beer fridge to theirs and I am sorted. Actually, probably take a cooler to avoid fridge door contact

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
You dont need it under normal conditions but it's not normal, did anyone see how many people died again today, I assume the Medical and Scientific advisors know what they're doing and I tend to accept their views without needing to keep questioning them.

We've been seperated all this time and now the Government have decided we can meet up in groups of six outside from Monday, people are now complaining they have to wait a couple more days, so will break the rules.

Last edited:

Slab

Money List Winner

Genuinely confused.
I think you're 100% correct to stick with safety measures and I'll be doing the same for the foreseeable future too
Announced last night that non food Shops can reopen from tomorrow here and wearing masks anywhere in public will remain mandatory
The way we shop has changed, not just for a few weeks but for several months as a minimum

Slab

Money List Winner
The PM here announced the partial lifting of our medical curfew with shops and some other social activities approved too
Overnight I got the first email from a golf club saying they would be open from tomorrow!

Brilliant news because if one is opening they all will

On top of that news it also means that Tomorrow morning I can step outside the flat with my wife for the first time in 73 days and walk along the street!
How can something so simple seem like the best news in months!

Fish

Major Champion

Genuinely confused.
The amount of traffic on the roads in and around London suggested to me that so many have the attitude, that, if I haven't caught it by now, I won't! This transformed into so much traffic, much more than normal on the roads, that there was congestion everywhere!

Motorways were OK though, mainly, so this is all local travel.

For me, essential travel has gone out the window, it's become too subjective, especially with more and more stores of varying trades opening, people who have possibly been isolating or adhering to lockdown guidelines correctly, are now joining the selfish ones who have been out and about since day one.

So it's carnage in the cities and towns, a normal Friday of mayhem in traffic was experienced yesterday, and the amount of accidents being reported on the radio, all over the country, was testament to the amount of increased traffic on the roads.

The people out and about walking playing in parks has greatly increased, but what was very noticeable, was, I'd say 75% of them had little or no protection on whatsoever, whereas before, almost everyone displayed some manner of PPE, the attitude has definitely swung to, it's over, or I won't catch it now!

The conclusion, nobody (well most) won't wait until Monday, or will wait when any announcement is being announced in advance of any restrictions being lifted, the selfish and uneducated attitude will be, what will 24, 48, 72 hours difference make?

Last edited:

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner

Genuinely confused.
As of last Thursday, masks are compulsory when out in public here if a distance of 2m social distancing can't be maintained. And, as usual, if you don't do it you will be fined. We do see the odd person not wearing them, but only from afar. As they get close, out comes their mask. We walk with ours in hand until its needed.

GB72

Money List Winner
You dont need it under normal conditions but it's not normal, did anyone see how many people died again today, I assume the Medical and Scientific advisors know what they're doing and I tend to accept their views without needing to keep questioning them.

We've been seperated all this time and now the Government have decided we can meet up in groups of six outside from Monday, people are now complaining they have to wait a couple more days, so will break the rules.
Ok the first paragraph still makes no comment on what preparation is needed to meet family and friends in a garden and I would actually point out that I have actually been very supportive of the rules and in this case am only questioning the timing not the rule itself.

It simply would have made more sense to announce it on Sunday.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
As of last Thursday, masks are compulsory when out in public here if a distance of 2m social distancing can't be maintained. And, as usual, if you don't do it you will be fined. We do see the odd person not wearing them, but only from afar. As they get close, out comes their mask. We walk with ours in hand until its needed.
Would like to see this here

I have plenty of cheap masks work have provided available if I need but also somebody made us a couple of one's out of fabric .. double stitched so can pop a bit of toilet paper in the middle and change that every now and again to provide a sort of filter

I'm sure people will knock these up on eBay

Say costs someone £20 for 4 ones like that .. it helps "control" the virus

Even a 1% chance of lowering the risk is enough for me

Slab

Money List Winner
It's been really tough where you are but sounds like great results. Has it been worth it, do you think? I'm torn between struggling with our limited measures vs wishing they had been tougher.
Yeah with hindsight to get totally clear is obviously worth it but when I've seen the UK ease things over the last week it's been tougher
There's little doubt we haven't seen the last of it, when the airport reopens someone will bring it in (the restricted repatriation flights even brought a couple of cases) it's just a case of being prepared so that it's not allowed to spread
I do believe one of the key things was the speed and severity of the lockdown. Day after 1st positive test we're shut down for 10 days (Inc food shops) so only workers need to keep order and keep the power on etc were out, everyone else was locked up so the spread was really nailed down from the off. Painful, but it was the right call for us

We could have started this a few weeks back but that's with hindsight again