Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Centre parks now cancelled for June as well, and it is getting prohibitively expensive for the weeks they are (currently) still showing available.

A shame as the little one is starting school in September and then we are reliant on term times going forward. This was the last ‘bargain’ year.
Welcome to Centre Parcs in February half term, sharing with another family 😁. Good fun still but not as pleasant as June I'll grant you.

larmen

Head Pro
Welcome to Centre Parcs in February half term, sharing with another family 😁. Good fun still but not as pleasant as June I'll grant you.
We are going to spend a week in Durham instead, there is an old couple with a nice big house happy to take in visitors ;-)

We have done CP in February before. It was OK and a log of activities are indoors anyway. We did the very beginning, so might have been the bargain before the half term break.
But with everyone now staying in the UK it will be like eBay for those few hundred cottages available. All the people that would go skiing plus the ones that would go to CP.

We just have to see what happens. It’s likely to be visiting family in Germany if allowed next year. I don’t think this year will be a possibility at all, including Xmas.

bobmac

Major Champion
Aren't his qualifications in "biomedical materials"?

Now I'm no scientist but that does appear to be rather a long way from the development of vaccines.
Some sites say materials and some say science.
Hard to tell as it was over 20 years ago.

And you're right, he hasn't done much in the vaccine department.
In fact, he hasn't done many experiments in anything...

''My name is Ian Sample. I am the Guardian's science editor. I found my way into journalism from science after realising I was constantly more fascinated in other peoples' experiments than my own ''

Ian Sample

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
We are going to spend a week in Durham instead, there is an old couple with a nice big house happy to take in visitors ;-)

We have done CP in February before. It was OK and a log of activities are indoors anyway. We did the very beginning, so might have been the bargain before the half term break.
But with everyone now staying in the UK it will be like eBay for those few hundred cottages available. All the people that would go skiing plus the ones that would go to CP.

We just have to see what happens. It’s likely to be visiting family in Germany if allowed next year. I don’t think this year will be a possibility at all, including Xmas.
We did it in January and February a few times and had a great time with our kids. The last time we decided to treat ourselves and go in May. It was a lot more pleasant, less layers required, less to stuff in the swimming lockers 😁. It allowed us to do so many more outdoor activities but there is no way we could have gone as often, the price difference is so large, as you are well aware. I'm sure you will enjoy Durham, there is lots to do around there 👍

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Interesting:

Here are the latest daily infection figures for the four European countries that eased their lockdowns back in mid-April (accelerating since).

Denmark - 59
Norway - 14
Czech Republic - 77
Austria - 50

No second wave, not even a tiny ripple.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Interesting:

Here are the latest daily infection figures for the four European countries that eased their lockdowns back in mid-April (accelerating since).

Denmark - 59
Norway - 14
Czech Republic - 77
Austria - 50

All quite small countries with low population density so much easier to control. One of the big sucsess stories must be London

larmen

Head Pro
Germany did report low numbers as well, but then you also have stories about 10 (so far) people got it from the same restaurant they went to on the same day (not 1 party, separate tables still) or 80 people infected in the same meat factory, ...

So overall it is going down, but it is a bit of luck in the draw if you have been at the wrong place by choice (restaurant) or by default (work).
I don't want to be the decision maker.

edit: Well, looks like people were telling porkies and there might have been a party in teh restaurant after all instead of just diners going out in separate settings.

On positive notes, it looks like a test is available now that shows if one ever had it? That could give some piece of mind and take the worry away, especially if apparently 1 in 6 in London had it already. Not a vaccine yet, but progress to the world of 'unknown' most of us are currently in it. We 'all' had some kind of sniffle since Christmas and we 'all' hope that we might be immune already.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Interesting:

Denmark - 59
Norway - 14
Czech Republic - 77
Austria - 50

We need more good news stories like this. I know the fear is that everyone will then go out and break all the rules thinking it is over but these countries have managed it so surely we can as well.

Thanks for posting this 👍

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Bit more positivity, apologies if it isn’t positive enough for some: copied from twitter.

118 reported fatalities today vs 170, 269, 315, 420, 498, 686, 644 on previous Sundays - a strong decline.

New infections at 2409 which is the lowest since March.

The number of people in hospital with Coronavirus down.

Everything is going in the right direction.

Wolf

One positive for me out of this I've hugely rediscovered my love of outdoor endurance training. I'd discussed on here previously with another poster by end of lockdown I wanted to see if I still had it in me to complete the Commando 30miler test (30 miles on foot in 8 hrs carrying 40lbs). Happy to say set off this morning nice and early across the fens and got back home 7 hrs & 49mins later, I'm now sat in the conservatory unable to move 😂

But loved every minute of it, and think I'm going to sign up for some insane challenge post Covid-19 and do a bit for charity.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Bit more positivity, apologies if it isn’t positive enough for some: copied from twitter.

118 reported fatalities today vs 170, 269, 315, 420, 498, 686, 644 on previous Sundays - a strong decline.

New infections at 2409 which is the lowest since March.

The number of people in hospital with Coronavirus down.

Everything is going in the right direction.
everything bar the govt and its credibility that is

Old Skier

Tour Winner
One positive for me out of this I've hugely rediscovered my love of outdoor endurance training. I'd discussed on here previously with another poster by end of lockdown I wanted to see if I still had it in me to complete the Commando 30miler test (30 miles on foot in 8 hrs carrying 40lbs). Happy to say set off this morning nice and early across the fens and got back home 7 hrs & 49mins later, I'm now sat in the conservatory unable to move 😂

But loved every minute of it, and think I'm going to sign up for some insane challenge post Covid-19 and do a bit for charity.
Do you always carry that many sandwiches, 7 miler every day is enough for me, nice stroll n the hills and finish with a sausage roll - don't tell HID.

Beezerk

Money List Winner

🤣🤣🤣 Legend mate 👏

Kaz

Cripes I'm knackered just reading that. (y)

Wolf

Do you always carry that many sandwiches, 7 miler every day is enough for me, nice stroll n the hills and finish with a sausage roll - don't tell HID.
May have sneaked an entire pack of Maryland cookies in there as well as little energy boosters 😉😂

🤣🤣🤣 Legend mate 👏
Legend.. I think you misspelled Stupid 😂😂