Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Same here, the missus and I pondered over it last night and we've invited another couple to come over to our garden for drinks on Saturday afternoon/evening.
We live in a semi rural area, the fella is who I've been mountain biking with during the lockdown anyway and both our wives have been working from home and have barely gone out.
Common sense says it's ok imo.
As it will be for my daughter and her friends tomorrow when she has them at ours for her 25th b/day. Rather nonsensical telling us to wait until Monday with a lovely weekend beckoning.

As there will be two couples and a singleton (we'll head out or just stay indoors so she can have the garden), we'll plate up three bowls of such as crisps and nuts; individual bowls of olives and similar - and five portions of anything else my wife wants to put together. They will bring their own drinks and glasses, and we'll provide plenty of fizzy already poured in disposable glasses. The garden is well big enough and access to it is by a side gate from the drive. We'll leave the backdoor and downstairs loo door open with handwash, and my daughter can do a anti-bacterial wipe-round when they are done.

You know it makes sense.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
As it will be for my daughter and her friends tomorrow when she has them at ours for her 25th b/day. Rather nonsensical telling us to wait until Monday with a lovely weekend beckoning.

As there will be two couples and a singleton (we'll head out or just stay indoors so she can have the garden), we'll plate up three bowls of such as crisps and nuts; individual bowls of olives and similar - and five portions of anything else my wife wants to put together. They will bring their own drinks and glasses, and we'll provide plenty of fizzy already poured in disposable glasses. The garden is well big enough and access to it is by a side gate from the drive. We'll leave the backdoor and downstairs loo door open with handwash, and my daughter can do a anti-bacterial wipe-round when they are done.

You know it makes sense.
Re the bit in bold, has the virus got other plans due to the weather?;)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
This absolutely nails it for me. The announcement should have been made Sunday night if they didn't want this to occur until Monday.

It'll be happening all over the country from today and nothing they can say or do now to stop it.
And Scotland CAN do this from today

So say you live in Berwick upon Tweed

Your family live in Scotland

You could go to their garden

They can't go to yours

Just stupid

Like you say announce Sunday or that's it.

We have parents both booked in for Monday and weds respectfully but I'm sure many more will make most of this lovely weekend weather

DRW

Tour Rookie
Its getting very weary hearing about the social phased returns going on. Day 71 of our lock-down and while I'm allowed in the office today its curfew conditions here again this weekend (hopefully the last weekend like this)

From first active case to virus-free eradication was just 40 days here & it means i'm plenty done with just seeing the inside of my flat
Do I read that correctly, 31 days without a case and I assume everyone recovered, so no active cases still under curfew ? yeek

Do you know when things will be relaxed ?

Slab

Money List Winner
Do I read that correctly, 31 days without a case and I assume everyone recovered, so no active cases still under curfew ? yeek

Do you know when things will be relaxed ?
Yup, the only case in that time was a couple repatriated from India who brought it with them but they were quarentined on arrival anyway, so we've nothing in the general population

The current curfew lasts until this Monday so we're crossing everything we get it lifted (you can never tell round here)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
I will put my hands up and say that I am doing exactly the same, meeting with a couple of friends in the garden over the weekend. I am not a rule breaker at all and have been pretty strict on lockdown but why on earth would you announce something like this just before a hot weekend and tell people not to meet until Monday, either make it immediate or announce it after the weekend. It is clear that people are going to apply this relaxation from today
Because they had a great deal of criticism for not giving people suitably notice last time. Boris did explain he was giving notice so people had time to prepare.

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Because they had a great deal of criticism for not giving people suitably notice last time. Boris did explain he was giving notice so people had time to prepare.
For those of us working he has given us over a week to prepare. The point is that common sense says that people are going to treat the restrictions as lifted as if now especially with a hot weekend

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
For those of us working he has given us over a week to prepare. The point is that common sense says that people are going to treat the restrictions as lifted as if now especially with a hot weekend
Thought they had for most of the week looking at the pictures on social medial and the news channels. Virus. What virus?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Is there no lengths you will go to in defending the puppet?

He could announce schools etc yesterday. Like he did. That gives them time to prepare (which they have been anyways)

You don't need time to prepare to see your family and friends

Soon as it's lifted people will go so that could be announced Sunday.

GB72

Money List Winner
Thought they had for most of the week looking at the pictures on social medial and the news channels. Virus. What virus?
Maybe round your way but social media is always a bad example and will show the worst. In rural communities we have been pretty observant despite having seemingly far less need to do so. Not a fan of generalisations.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Doesn't common sense tell people that Monday means Monday. If he announced it Sunday evening people would be complaining about the lack of notice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Maybe round your way but social media is always a bad example and will show the worst. In rural communities we have been pretty observant despite having seemingly far less need to do so. Not a fan of generalisations.
Reading is a fairly large town as is Bracknell and everything I've seen last weekend and the last few days there has been scant regard towards social distancing and plenty of people seem to already visiting other people at their houses/gardens

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Is there no lengths you will go to in defending the puppet?

He could announce schools etc yesterday. Like he did. That gives them time to prepare (which they have been anyways)

You don't need time to prepare to see your family and friends

Soon as it's lifted people will go so that could be announced Sunday.
I critised him strongly for not giving suitable notice last time, maybe you missed that.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I dont make up rules or their timescales. I guess the government are guided by the medical and scientific experts who have their reasons. Should we pick and choose what rules suit us.
That's not answering the question.

We can meet family from Monday.

They could have announced that Sunday night and people wouldn't moan oh we didn't have enough notice

Going back to school different matter ....

Not hard.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
That's not answering the question.

We can meet family from Monday.

They could have announced that Sunday night and people wouldn't moan oh we didn't have enough notice

Going back to school different matter ....

Not hard.
I think it answered the question.

OK, we disagree. Best leave it at that as neither of us look like changing our minds.

Common sense tells me that little, if anything, is going to change in respect of the risk of infection in my back garden between 1pm Saturday and 1am Monday. And I say that as someone who has adhered rigorously to the rules since 23rd March.

Anyway - Mrs SILH popped into a local Tesco big store earlier today and it was open...and she really hated the experience. She said to me on her return that so much did she hate the experience whilst in the store - packed as it was and trying to keep socially distanced from everyone - that she became quite distressed - verging on bursting into tears...

We haven't been into a large supermarket for the last 2 months and I suspect that she isn't going to be found in one again for quite some time. The small local ones will suffice as they have done over the lockdown.