Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Slab

Money List Winner
Positive news off Twitter: Prof Sikora.

Really encouraging to read Dr María Neira, the WHO Director for Public Health, say their models are showing a second wave being increasingly ruled out.

Caution required, but she thinks that the virus will have a hard time surviving.

The most optimistic the WHO have been!
Wasn't it less than 24 hours ago the WHO were issuing warnings about second wave/peaks etc

This kind of thing does my head in :cautious:

edit: not you doing my head in, the WHO (y)

GB72

Money List Winner
Wasn't it less than 24 hours ago the WHO were issuing warnings about second wave/peaks etc

This kind of thing does my head in :cautious:

edit: not you doing my head in, the WHO (y)
Feeling the same, the WHO seem to flip flop from one position to another depending on what message they feel they want to make on any given day. Really do not think that they are coming out of this well at all and could have had a far bigger roll in drafting global advice and guidance and correlating the health information coming from each country.

...I've managed 2 x 18 holes and 3 x 9 holes without a s***k :)

However - my mind and body still know that they are there and I know that they are desperate to get out and show themselves...:(

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
...I've managed 2 x 18 holes and 3 x 9 holes without a s***k :)

However - my mind and body still know that they are there and I know that they are desperate to get out and show themselves...:(
Now you’ve done it! Even though you’ve not said the word, you’ve thought it. That, in my considerable experience, is often all it takes. I can go months without one, but if I then stand over the ball and think I’m going to do it, guess what happens?!

Can’t wait now for your next update 😉

Now you’ve done it! Even though you’ve not said the word, you’ve thought it. That, in my considerable experience, is often all it takes. I can go months without one, but if I then stand over the ball and think I’m going to do it, guess what happens?!

Can’t wait now for your next update 😉
So right.

After I finished last night my buddy asked how I do my little 'Scottish' bump and run. He'd tried it on our last hole and it didn't work for him.

I went to the side of the green; chucked a ball down, addressed it, and took a careless swish. Yup. You've already guessed what happened. So gobsmacked was I that I chucked another one done - yup - same thing. But I reassure myself that I did it because I hadn't taken any care. I have a good idea why I do it (I steer the club away from my body as I start my backswing) and how to not do it...(bring it back 'inside' and try and miss the ball on my downswing).

However...I shall indeed report back...I will now count down from 100 to wipe the thought from my mind. 100-99-98...

So right.

After I finished last night my buddy asked how I do my little 'Scottish' bump and run. He'd tried it on our last hole and it didn't work for him.

I went to the side of the green; chucked a ball down, addressed it, and took a careless swish. Yup. You've already guessed what happened. So gobsmacked was I that I chucked another one done - yup - same thing. But I reassure myself that I did it because I hadn't taken any care. I have a good idea why I do it (I steer the club away from my body as I start my backswing) and how to not do it...(bring it back 'inside' and try and miss the ball on my downswing).

However...I shall indeed report back...I will now count down from 100 to wipe the thought from my mind. 100-99-98...
Well - I played 15holes without a Lucy Locket - though I did thin three and caught a couple very heavy as in each case I lost trust in my swing from the top of my backswing and tried to 'steer' the club back to the ball - always likely to cause me big probs. But on all of my 'bogey' holes where the unfortunates usually leap out screaming - they were nicely silent and I hit shots that - as I told my buddy - had me dancing a little Highland Scottische inside.

For the Philistines - dancing a HS to the music of the Gods...one of my favourite dances to a set of fabulous dance tunes - yes I know - and yes - dancing like this with social distancing is going to be tricky :) But in the time of Covid, Scottish Fiddle Orchestra music thrills and lifts my spirits.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Numbers starting to drift upwards again to the point where Covid outnumber ordinary ICU patients so there are still cases at least locally. Hopefully it isn't a sign of a local spike to come although bar the new patients in the last 48 hours most have been here a while now. Some areas are sending staff back to their normal duties after being seconded to Covid rules and so bit by bit the hospital is trying to get back on a more "normal" footing

Robster59

Tour Rookie
Not so much affecting myself but I found this article about the human cost of misinformation.
Coronavirus: The human cost of virus misinformation
Some of it is really sad reading and is an indictment of what people are getting from their leaders and also what rubbish people put on Social Media and the fact that people are willing to believe it. I think the thing is that some people think that if they don't believe it, it doesn't exist. It's almost like a "La La La, I'm not listening" culture.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Numbers starting to drift upwards again to the point where Covid outnumber ordinary ICU patients so there are still cases at least locally. Hopefully it isn't a sign of a local spike to come although bar the new patients in the last 48 hours most have been here a while now. Some areas are sending staff back to their normal duties after being seconded to Covid rules and so bit by bit the hospital is trying to get back on a more "normal" footing
Figure bump could be the normal weekend plus a bank holiday

Fish

Major Champion
Not so much affecting myself but I found this article about the human cost of misinformation.
Coronavirus: The human cost of virus misinformation
Some of it is really sad reading and is an indictment of what people are getting from their leaders and also what rubbish people put on Social Media and the fact that people are willing to believe it. I think the thing is that some people think that if they don't believe it, it doesn't exist. It's almost like a "La La La, I'm not listening" culture.
I’ve seen a huge difference on the roads the last week, other than not seeing big spikes in rush hour traffic due to so many still not back at work, daytime driving is actually worse, because all those not working aren’t sat at home, they’re driving about doing stuff!

What lockdown 🤷‍♂️

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
I’ve seen a huge difference on the roads the last week, other than not seeing big spikes in rush hour traffic due to so many still not back at work, daytime driving is actually worse, because all those not working aren’t sat at home, they’re driving about doing stuff!

What lockdown 🤷‍♂️
First days of lockdown we didn't have to look left or right to crossover the road to get into the woods... Yesterday we had to wait several minutes for a gap to appear in traffic...

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Indeed. There is a wave of nervousness around the place that it isn't the trickle before another surge given the good weather for the last few weekends and the bank holidays but trying to remain positive.
I'm obviously not an epidemiologist or a virologist, so this is personal opinion, but I don't think we will see a second surge as such. I expect numbers to rise slightly, given that people are starting to move round a bit more a small increase is probably inevitable. But with the way people are now aware of how to avoid it, the lack of international travel, the social distancing measures in place, and the amount of knowledge we now have about how the virus transmits and affects people I think will see it continue to die out, despite what Karen on facebook says...

chellie

Tour Winner

What lockdown 🤷‍♂️
Some could be going to play golf;)