Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

This is something that I do with 'Alan' in accounts. Alan has his own email address and can be a real pain when he starts chasing invoice payments, he's even threatened to start adding interest to a couple of invoices for those particularly slow at getting things sorted. It does allow me to be more understanding of the companies situation however there isn't much I can do when accounts (Alan) starts chasing as that's his role and who am I to get in the way of him doing what he gets paid for.
Definitely something to consider doing for the future - if there is a future for venue-based performing arts ...

As others have said there is no relationship if he isn't being paid and should do everything to chase what is owed.

However that aside I'm pleased to hear he is considering other options such as teaching, will give him a more stable income in a very rewarding career, will be better for his wellbeing knowing he has regular income in a sector thats always going to be needed and hopefully would mean less stress and reliance on you and Mrs SILH. That's a good news takeout of this and I wish him well 👍🏻
It is ... he sounds quite enthusiastic about an alternative that could see him teaching Media Studies, Journalism, Communications - even English :)

His problem is always going to be that he is currently doing his 'dream job' - you know - that one we are told to imagine doing but that few of us ever get to do - even if we have a clue what it might be. He is doing it. And because of that every other job will start as, at best, a second best...but hey. He knows his whole career in the performing arts sector - that he has been work so hard over the last 5 years to establish - is currently exploded and up in the air, and when the bits come down it most probably will look very different - at least for the coming year or so.

Anyway...

Last edited:

Slab

Money List Winner
It is ... he sounds quite enthusiastic about an alternative that could see him teaching 1] Media Studies, 2] Journalism, 3] Communications - even 4] English:)

His problem is always going to be that he is currently doing his 'dream job' - you know - that one we are told to imagine doing but that few of us ever get to do - even if we have a clue what it might be. He is doing it. And because of that every other job will start as, at best, a second best...but hey. He knows his whole career in the performing arts sector is currently exploded and up in the air, and when the bits come down comes it most probably will look very different - at least for the coming year or so.

Anyway...
So a career teaching either how to;
  1. Read newspapers
  2. Write newspapers
  3. Talk about what’s in the newspapers
  4. Something never used in newspapers
:whistle:

One thing he may want to try. In communication with them, I would imagine when invoicing, chasing money etc it is email, create a ficticious accounts person. Male or female, take your pick. That 'person' deals with chasing payments, they are separate from your son. That keeps his working relationship separate and untouched. If someone ever rings for them, they are busy, on holiday, only work a couple of days a week etc. That person can be a little more aggressive and impersonal when chasing accounts. It gets back to Don Corelone. It is a good trick and surprisingly effective for 1 man bands, small companies etc who do not employ an accounts person. (I may or may not be talking from personal experience ;))

Imurg has made a great point in his post, if they are not paying him is the relationship really that good or is it just one way? He needs to be more business like or it will just end up being a glorified hobby.
You can expand your team quite easily - My dog Rafy did this a few years back :cool:

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
An interesting thing one of my best mates told me this weekend was that, even though Sweden hasn't had a lockdown, his brother works for one of Sweden's biggest beer breweries, and YoY they're down 70% during this period. So, I guess the takeaway from this is that we need to start drinking again to get up and running towards normailty. :)
i never stopped and am doing my best to help overall economic activity!!

Slime

Tour Winner
You are right. We've said exactly all of that to him last night. And he gets it. But he is just so very wary and worried about causing them any hassle...:(
What!
They owe him a load of money ....................................... it's all about priorities.
I bet he needs it more than they do.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Indeed we tried hard to explain that to him last night.

A chasing Email can be understanding of the situation the company is in - and can simply be asking them to acknowledge that they still have to pay him for the work he did on their behalf back in February.

But he is clearly very nervous that he might damage the good relationship he has established with them - they are a small company and the work he gets is all about the relationship he has established with the business manager and those who allocate the jobs among the reps (of which he is but one). There is also the issue that we think he feels accepting not getting paid might help keep the business afloat, and as he depends on them for more than half of his work...well...we have tried to explain that the business afloat or not is not his problem even though it folding would cause him a massive problem.

Anyway - he has started to consider that there might have to be an alternative working life outside of the performing arts sector - and so is looking into teaching (most likely as half the furloughed workforce may be doing :( )
Its a tough one Hugh. Start up businesses often get confused between good relationships and professional relationships. He's in a really tough position. If he hasn't already, he needs to issue an invoice with payment terms. At some point in the future, especially if he moves away from the sector, he needs to chase what isn't an insignificant sum for him.

As an aside, and this is personal to your relationship to and with him, you're not a million miles away from retiring. You can't be the bank of mum and dad forever. He especially needs to recognise that there will come a point when you can't help out the way you have. Been there, and you know what, they find a way to sort themselves out.

Good luck to him and you all on this one.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(20)30610-3

This could be great news if really true and maybe in my basic thinking perhaps explains why some get it bad, some not lottery etc. and a future for treatments as well.
So is this paper saying that there is already a level of adaptive immunity in the community based on other exposures to members of the coronavirus family? Is that your interpretation?
This means that's there's a level of immunity already present in the community and though it may not be specific to Covid-19 it can help in producing lower or asymptomatic symptoms?

DRW

Tour Rookie
Summary requires more abbreviations to help it flow better 😂
It is like WTH:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And the detailed paper isn't much better when I scan read it o_O:-

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30610-3.pdf?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0092867420306103%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

So is this paper saying that there is already a level of adaptive immunity in the community based on other exposures to members of the coronavirus family? Is that your interpretation?
This means that's there's a level of immunity already present in the community and though it may not be specific to Covid-19 it can help in producing lower or asymptomatic symptoms?
I think so, certainly how I read it, plus viral loading, would imagine you may know more? I know sweet toddles about it to be honest, just enjoy the reading up about it all. Going to look for some write ups of the paper tonight, if there are any, perhaps in plain English to understand more of it:oops:

There goes an evening of banter with the wife:LOL:

It is like WTH:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And the detailed paper isn't much better when I scan read it o_O:-

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(20)30610-3.pdf?_returnURL=https%3A%2F%2Flinkinghub.elsevier.com%2Fretrieve%2Fpii%2FS0092867420306103%3Fshowall%3Dtrue

I think so, certainly how I read it, plus viral loading, would imagine you may know more? I know sweet toddles about it to be honest, just enjoy the reading up about it all. Going to look for some write ups of the paper tonight, if there are any, perhaps in plain English to understand more of it:oops:

There goes an evening of banter with the wife:LOL:
@Backache seems to have good knowledge around this area, way better than mine. The way I interpret the viral loading is that the initial innate immune response which gives you all your fever etc goes into overdrive the more virus is initially taken on board. It's then up to your adaptive immune system to come up with the antibody. If you have other antibodies full previous corona virus infections maybe they can help dampen down the innate response?

Fish

Major Champion
My son is having to come to us for financial support as £1000 he is owned for work done in February has not appeared.

He tells us that all employees of the event management company he does the work for have been furloughed, and, given the nature of the business and the 'ad-hoc' nature of the work he gets from them, he is reluctant to contact them further to push for payment. I have a horrid feeling he may never see that money. What a mess. :(

Anyway - spoke to a neighbour yesterday who is a South West trains driver. He was on his way home from work and told us that the trains from our part of the world are basically empty - with Waterloo still very quiet. I think he said there were 30 passengers all day on the trains from our branch line.
Simply send a ‘final invoice’ which if not paid by return will result in a late payment charge of £40.00.

He can raise this himself without charge, then if not paid or responded to in 72hrs, simply send the late payment charge invoice, which usually does the trick, as in that invoice you simply state that court action will be sort should they account not be fully brought up to date, inclusive of the late payment charge.

We’re not banks for these kind of companies.

Fish

Major Champion
You are right. We've said exactly all of that to him last night. And he gets it. But he is just so very wary and worried about causing them any hassle...:(
Then he’ll never be successful in business then, I’m sorry but if he’s sympathetic to their situation above his own, then he needs to get a PAYE job as soon as possible.

Slime

Tour Winner
This is a good article about why we might not get a perfectly formed coronavirus vaccine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...accine?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
What a miserable headline;
Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine.
Jeez, how pessimistic is that? A headline based on supposition.
So then, they don't know that we won't find a vaccine but's let's be pessimistic anyway, it'll probably get more attention.

No wonder so many people are having mental health issues.

What a miserable headline;
Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine.
Jeez, how pessimistic is that? A headline based on supposition.
So then, they don't know that we won't find a vaccine but's let's be pessimistic anyway, it'll probably get more attention.

No wonder so many people are having mental health issues.
It's actually a well balanced well researched article which I'm guessing you didn't bother reading.

Slime

Tour Winner
It's actually a well balanced well researched article which I'm guessing you didn't bother reading.
No, which is why I only commented on the headline.
It may well be a good article but I'm not overly interested in articles with such negative headlines right now.
There's enough misery in the media without needlessly adding to it, in my opinion.