Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro

Wolf

All the photos are of older children.
They say only half are back and might need some form of half day shift pattern to fit them all in.
It’s the 5 yr olds that are my main concern who have no inhibitions.
But it’s a start and just hope we can sort it out somehow.
I just don't understand the logic of sending the smallest ones back that struggle to understand what's going on. My youngest is Yr1, nightmare with leaving her at school as it is she's not the biggest fan. Her comfort is always knowing she has my other 2 at school with her and knowing if she gets upset at break time she often will find her sister who often comforts her at school. But knowing she will be going to a hugely changed environment without her effective social comfort blanket is going to be a nightmare for her.

Coupled with fact means my other 2 are still at home along with her mum and their new baby, plus none of the kids have been allowed to come stay with me during lockdown due to their mum being high risk and only allowing video call access, my little one literally feels like she is being abandoned by being sent back to school alone 😔

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
This link shows how primary schools in Denmark have managed the return of kids. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world...opened-primary-school-in-the-time-of-covid-19
One thing they have is a max size of 20 kids and half them to 10. We have between 30 and 32 so half of one of my wife's schools is 16 nearly the size of one of their classes.

I don't know about Denmark but the uk has hardly built schools recently and a lot of ours are old, small with tight corridors and extensions on them rather than newer modern buildings. My wife's schools has 7 classrooms, a hall, a staff room, entrance and 1 office. Already the school will be full with just reception year, year 1 and 6 back. They become 7 classes because year 6 has 32 so being split 3 ways, the hall has key worker children in it. The head is in the office that leaves no room and years 2,3,4 and 5 are not even in yet.

The odds of it spreading if someone has it is massive.

Reemul

Head Pro
Sorry - you misunderstood my position - I totally disagreed with the presenter, and found his attitude towards the teaching union and teachers quite disgraceful. I am on 100% on the side of the teachers and the union.
Ah, I am so sorry, read it as you agreed with him, I apologise profusely. May I aim that at him and any others that seem to think teachers do sod all and kids won't spread it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
All the photos are of older children.
They say only half are back and might need some form of half day shift pattern to fit them all in.
It’s the 5 yr olds that are my main concern who have no inhibitions.
But it’s a start and just hope we can sort it out somehow.
I think they were 7 but I absolutely take your point. The thing is, it shows it can be done and this is the template. It is not ideal but there are ways around problems. They are going back in Finland today as well I believe.

Just this morning Mrs Hogie was reflecting upon how much she was enjoying her (relatively) new job working on the Breast Cancer Now Helpline - she's currently furloughed (on full pay) but sadly was expecting to be asked - at best - to go to zero hours on their bank to provide occasional ad-hoc sickness and holiday cover.

But an hour ago she received an email from her boss, saying that the charity has reviewed the furloughed staff (95% of workforce) across the business and they'd like her to come back to work - from next week I think. She is delighted. Good news and Happy Hogies Mrs :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
One thing they have is a max size of 20 kids and half them to 10. We have between 30 and 32 so half of one of my wife's schools is 16 nearly the size of one of their classes.

I don't know about Denmark but the uk has hardly built schools recently and a lot of ours are old, small with tight corridors and extensions on them rather than newer modern buildings. My wife's schools has 7 classrooms, a hall, a staff room, entrance and 1 office. Already the school will be full with just reception year, year 1 and 6 back. They become 7 classes because year 6 has 32 so being split 3 ways, the hall has key worker children in it. The head is in the office that leaves no room and years 2,3,4 and 5 are not even in yet.

The odds of it spreading if someone has it is massive.
The money on new schools seems to have gone on sexy new high schools, via academies, not smaller schools on the whole so I fully understand your point. Something I raised a few days ago, in the case of your wifes school where clearly there is not the sapce to take back more years, could they move certain pupils and staff to a nearby high school? They will be empty until September and should have more than enough space for all of the surrounding feeder schools. Not ideal but a possible way around it.

Ah, I am so sorry, read it as you agreed with him, I apologise profusely. May I aim that at him and any others that seem to think teachers do sod all and kids won't spread it.
No problems...

James O'B on LBC discussing this whole issue on his show at the moment. Part of which he is asking where this idea came from that children don't pass on the virus to adults - and that teachers and their union were therefore being unreasonable...and of course one of the main voices for this idea? The Sun newspaper. How long was it before the right wing turned on unions and 'leftie' professions such as teaching. Not long it seems. Best wishes to you and yours.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
I just don't understand the logic of sending the smallest ones back that struggle to understand what's going on. My youngest is Yr1, nightmare with leaving her at school as it is she's not the biggest fan. Her comfort is always knowing she has my other 2 at school with her and knowing if she gets upset at break time she often will find her sister who often comforts her at school. But knowing she will be going to a hugely changed environment without her effective social comfort blanket is going to be a nightmare for her.

Coupled with fact means my other 2 are still at home along with her mum and their new baby, plus none of the kids have been allowed to come stay with me during lockdown due to their mum being high risk and only allowing video call access, my little one literally feels like she is being abandoned by being sent back to school alone 😔
I believe they chose yr 1 to go back because they view that year as an important developmental year and they want the kids to miss as little of that year as possible.

We have a 1st school on our estate and that has remained open for children of key workers throughout this. They have managed, apparently they make games of hand washing, keeping apart etc. Of course there will be mixing, it is unavoidable, but so far I have not heard of any issues.

Have you seen the clip that I posted? We parents worry about everything but teachers are good at what they do, good at cajoling youngsters into doing the right thing. It might put your mind at rest a little.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
I tell you how it really has effected me... being a shift worker anyways when im nights its very hard to remember what day it actually is... coming home on one day and waking up being the same day lol... I have been doing a lot of extra nights covering shielding staff etc. anyways really dont know what day it is!!!

filled in a claim form for my dogs medication last night and I typed march. that was when I last remember stuff actually happening!!
Did shifts for 40yrs it’s very easy to forget what day it is.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro

That must be difficult.
My daughter is year 1 Sen teacher and some of the things she has told me they get up to is horrible.
Just no sense of space.
They come up behind her at the desk and lick her face to see if she tastes like she smells.
Hope you sort it.

hovis

Tour Winner

But on the opposite side to that my 5yr old daughter can't wait to go back and doesn't have any struggles. My daughter doesn't understand what's going on really. She doesn't need to. She just has to do as she's told

Swinglowandslow

I heard a guy being interviewed on TV who said there was "no evidence of children passing on the virus to adults". Considering how many other viruses and diseases they pass on I'd be very surprised if that was the case.
As soon as I hear the phrase" there is no evidence that....." then I sus pect it means that there might well be but accepting it is what we don't want to do.
What is said is true, inasmuch that for there to be evidence( in this case children passing on the virus) there has to be no possibility that it could have happened any other way.
And , unless you have controlled conditions in an effort to prove it, then that will never be the case.
The same has been said about catching the virus from mail and packaging.

Wolf

Back to work this Monday, the holiday is over 🤨
Wish I was 😔.

However did go out for my run today and the amount of traffic passing through my village was back up to Pre lockdown levels and so many people out congregating and chatting, I ended up running in the road to avoid contact and came back cross country instead of through village.

Ye Olde Boomer

I had some papers to sign at my lawyer's (solicitor's?) office.
She told me to wear a mask and rubber gloves and wait down in the parking lot (car park?).
Then she sent a notary public, also with mask and gloves, out to my car with the paperwork.
It was handed to me at arm's length through the window.

She didn't even come out herself to say hello, all while charging me $400 an hour.
Any wonder why I hate the expression, "new normal?"