Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Reemul

Head Pro
Heard earlier on the radio a morning prime time presenter state that studies show that young children don't pass on the virus - so all the fuss being made by one or more of the teaching unions and their not supporting the current plan is apparently all just typical unions - being obstructive and teachers not doing their bit to get the economy moving again. Look at the sacrifices and risk, says he, that the medical and care professions are taking - and the teachers can't do their bit. I kid you not. :mad:
And you believe it because a study shows, really you believe it because you want to, it fits your agenda. The reality is as many studies show they do get it, can pass it but it is more likely to be asymptomatic the reality is we do not know yet because it is so new and unknown.

Let me ask you a question, if you had 3 holes in your lung from Cavitating Pneumonia but no shielding letter, haven't been out of the house for 7 weeks and when you get a cough or cold are pretty ill for a few weeks and have been told by the hospital we would do a lung biopsy to find out why you aren't healing but best not too at present and then get a call from your work saying you need to go back to work next Thursday along with 40 other adults in a small school with very little SD available would you take your own advice and be happy going a long for a little catch up or would you be worried you might catch it and die. Because that is the situation my wife is in and posts like yours really get on my nerves at times.

We are now waiting for the consultant to see if she can have a shielding letter but never mind some bloke on the radio says, sums it up really. Next you will be telling me you believe what the Daily Mail says or The Guardian.

I wish to add you have no idea how hard my wife has been working, she works from 8am in the morning till 9pm at night 5 days a week as well as half a day on the weekend. Her school is ranked 7th in the UK for performance, she speaks to all he pupils weekly, does video lessons for them each week as well as setting all normal work. They have daily conference meetings with all the staff as well senior mangement meetings, she is Maths leader and Senco Head (that's special needs) she has a blind pupil who needs braille work set as well as support for those that have welfare issues. She cannot work any harder as you say she cannot do her bit.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Heard earlier on the radio a morning prime time presenter state that studies show that young children don't pass on the virus - so all the fuss being made by one or more of the teaching unions and their not supporting the current plan is apparently all just typical unions - being obstructive and teachers not doing their bit to get the economy moving again. Look at the sacrifices and risk, says he, that the medical and care professions are taking - and the teachers can't do their bit. I kid you not. :mad:
Sounds like whoever did the study needs to wonder how on earth they got their degree. The stats clearly show that the young can get it and, sadly, can die of it. Yes the stats show that it doesn't appear to be quite so destructive with the young but that doesn't mean that sniffle they have wouldn't be something far worse in someone older.

I do wonder why producers etc give airtime to rubbish like this.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Government website is your friend tbh and all simply laid out in the FAQ, thumbs up for the government for that:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Information is out there :-

3.1 Who is allowed to go to work?
In the first instance, employers should make every effort to support working from home, including by providing suitable IT and equipment as they have been already. This will apply to many different types of businesses, particularly those who typically would have worked in offices or online.

Where work can only be done in the workplace, we have set out tailored guidelines for employers to help protect their workforce and customers from coronavirus while still continuing to trade or getting their business back up and running. We have published detailed COVID-19 secure guidelines, which has been developed in consultation with businesses and trades unions.

These ‘back to work’ guidelines apply to those in essential retail like:

• supermarkets
  • those in construction and manufacturing
  • those working in labs and research facilities
  • those administering takeaways and deliveries at restaurants and cafes
  • tradesmen, cleaners and others who work in people’s homes
  • those who are facilitating trade or transport goods
  • and so on
Non-essential retail, restaurants, pubs, bars, gyms and leisure centres will remain closed. They will reopen in a phased manner provided it is safe to do so.

There are specific guidelines for those who are vulnerable, shielding, or showing
Thanks for that.

Lump

Tour Winner
My colleague and partner in crime got tested Monday after he developed a cough.
Thankfully results have come back negative. It suddenly feels very real when it might be someone you know and come it contact with regularly.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
My colleague and partner in crime got tested Monday after he developed a cough.
Thankfully results have come back negative. It suddenly feels very real when it might be someone you know and come it contact with regularly.
Been there and totally agree. More worrying was the first "inconclusive" test, although talking to the testers second time around it seems a large batch of Friday's tests had all come back the same. Whether that was down to the tester not taking the swabs sufficiently of the batch was infected in the testing process I don't know. It was a huge relief to get the negative though. No idea what I had instead which knocked me off my feet but glad it wasn't Corona.

On a more positive note, we are right down on numbers in ICU and most have been there long term (10-40 days) and numbers coming in are slowing too. I am still nervous about a secondary spike now everyone is out and about and many seemingly thinking it's all over looking at the crowds in the parks, cars on the road and pictures on the news but for now we're scaling right back

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Today was my first "outing" since lockdown began. I've taken my car out twice but otherwise it's been cycling/walking from home. The dog trainers have started single lessons with social distancing in their large field so we took the dogs. It felt so good to be doing something and just talking to other people and I felt really flat when we finished the lesson. Makes you realise how much you've missed for several weeks.

I now have a really sore throat from talking and shouting (to the dogs!)...need to build my larynx up a bit :)
That’s one thing I have missed .
I will talk to anybody who says “ hello”
But find we are avoiding each other so no conversations.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
And you believe it because a study shows, really you believe it because you want to, it fits your agenda. The reality is as many studies show they do get it, can pass it but it is more likely to be asymptomatic the reality is we do not know yet because it is so new and unknown.

Let me ask you a question, if you had 3 holes in your lung from Cavitating Pneumonia but no shielding letter, haven't been out of the house for 7 weeks and when you get a cough or cold are pretty ill for a few weeks and have been told by the hospital we would do a lung biopsy to find out why you aren't healing but best not too at present and then get a call from your work saying you need to go back to work next Thursday along with 40 other adults in a small school with very little SD available would you take your own advice and be happy going a long for a little catch up or would you be worried you might catch it and die. Because that is the situation my wife is in and posts like yours really get on my nerves at times.

We are now waiting for the consultant to see if she can have a shielding letter but never mind some bloke on the radio says, sums it up really. Next you will be telling me you believe what the Daily Mail says or The Guardian.

I wish to add you have no idea how hard my wife has been working, she works from 8am in the morning till 9pm at night 5 days a week as well as half a day on the weekend. Her school is ranked 7th in the UK for performance, she speaks to all he pupils weekly, does video lessons for them each week as well as setting all normal work. They have daily conference meetings with all the staff as well senior mangement meetings, she is Maths leader and Senco Head (that's special needs) she has a blind pupil who needs braille work set as well as support for those that have welfare issues. She cannot work any harder as you say she cannot do her bit.
I think you might need to read that again.
I don’t think he is agreeing with him , quite the opposite.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
I tell you how it really has effected me... being a shift worker anyways when im nights its very hard to remember what day it actually is... coming home on one day and waking up being the same day lol... I have been doing a lot of extra nights covering shielding staff etc. anyways really dont know what day it is!!!

filled in a claim form for my dogs medication last night and I typed march. that was when I last remember stuff actually happening!!

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Been there and totally agree. More worrying was the first "inconclusive" test, although talking to the testers second time around it seems a large batch of Friday's tests had all come back the same. Whether that was down to the tester not taking the swabs sufficiently of the batch was infected in the testing process I don't know. It was a huge relief to get the negative though. No idea what I had instead which knocked me off my feet but glad it wasn't Corona.

On a more positive note, we are right down on numbers in ICU and most have been there long term (10-40 days) and numbers coming in are slowing too. I am still nervous about a secondary spike now everyone is out and about and many seemingly thinking it's all over looking at the crowds in the parks, cars on the road and pictures on the news but for now we're scaling right back
Sorry, but unless I am misunderstanding something, wouldn't it be more of a relief to get a positive result and find that you had been infected by Corona and pulled through? Although I suppose you may be looking at the general picture and were worried you may have infected others?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
I tell you how it really has effected me... being a shift worker anyways when im nights its very hard to remember what day it actually is... coming home on one day and waking up being the same day lol... I have been doing a lot of extra nights covering shielding staff etc. anyways really dont know what day it is!!!

filled in a claim form for my dogs medication last night and I typed march. that was when I last remember stuff actually happening!!
I think most people are struggling with remembering what day it is, and even what you did the day before. All the days are blurring into one. My wife and myself couldn't remember which of the 3 walks we normally do on rotation we did yesterday, and we were wracking our brains until we remembered that we did a slightly different walk to pick up eggs, cheese and butter from a local farm (on a spur off the normal loop), which we hadn't done for nearly two weeks. Brain fog!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Sorry, but unless I am misunderstanding something, wouldn't it be more of a relief to get a positive result and find that you had been infected by Corona and pulled through? Although I suppose you may be looking at the general picture and were worried you may have infected others?
There was a feeling of that and thinking great I've had it so can't get it again (subject to the current thinking regarding re-infection) but also relief in knowing how quickly some of our patients have gone downhill from having bearable symptoms at home to needing urgent hospital treatment for breathing issues. Also as you say a relief that it not being Covid means I theoretically haven't inadvertently passed it on to anyone

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Friend of mine dropped something in porch yest and waved at window

She txt me this morning in a panic. Did you disinfect that bag because my bf has been sent home from work .. he tested positive

She was so worried bless her

We disinfect everything anyways just incase

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
That’s one thing I have missed .
I will talk to anybody who says “ hello”
But find we are avoiding each other so no conversations.
Me too. Could talk the hind leg of a donkey! In fact stood for ages afterwards just chatting to the trainer about all things dogs...

I'm a bit of a hugger too so that's going to take some getting used to.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
A photo popped up on my FB page last night of a friend out for a meal with 4 others who we don't know. No sign of social distancing around the table. 1) If the Guardia knew of it they would shut the place down - they are doing with any establishment they find not following the rules. 2) I'm not comfortable with being in someone's company who doesn't care - she's taken some flak for it but, apparently, its ok because she knows them.

Sorry - you misunderstood my position - I totally disagreed with the presenter, and found his attitude towards the teaching union and teachers quite disgraceful. I am on 100% on the side of the teachers and the union.

Sounds like whoever did the study needs to wonder how on earth they got their degree. The stats clearly show that the young can get it and, sadly, can die of it. Yes the stats show that it doesn't appear to be quite so destructive with the young but that doesn't mean that sniffle they have wouldn't be something far worse in someone older.

I do wonder why producers etc give airtime to rubbish like this.
Nick Ferrari is probably LBCs most listened to presenter - and he gets many ministers on, most likely as he is perceived as being more 'government friendly' than the 'nasty' BBC. You can guess where he sits on the political spectrum. That said he can be very critical in his interviewing of ministers - as he was of Johnson last year.

GB72

Money List Winner
A photo popped up on my FB page last night of a friend out for a meal with 4 others who we don't know. No sign of social distancing around the table. 1) If the Guardia knew of it they would shut the place down - they are doing with any establishment they find not following the rules. 2) I'm not comfortable with being in someone's company who doesn't care - she's taken some flak for it but, apparently, its ok because she knows them.
I wish that sort of action was taken over here. Those pubs that have opened during lockdown (not many but a few) should have had their licences permanently removed and that landlord banned from ever holding a licence again.