Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

pauldj42

Money List Winner
My amazing hairdresser messaged me last night to say she was planning to book clients in from Wed. One client a day and everything cleaned down between clients. Hallelujah.

She's just messaged to say the governing body (National Hair Association) have said nothing until 4th July at the earliest :eek::eek::eek:
Will you and her be wearing PPE? surely the danger is her proximity to you and vice versa, not her hairdressing stuff?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Pity, if she’d of worked it out women and hairdressers all over the UK would see her as a legend.:)
I think she got over excited bless her. Really bad timing as she was just leaving the salon she worked at to go solo/mobile so I imagine she's not had any income or certainly no furlough pay.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Not sure what to make of the latest really

I suggested to my wife she goes to the park and meets her mum on their own 2m apart it's allowed

She would feel more comfortable doing that in the garden. Which has side access. And less people use it than the park

But that's not allowed

Imagine doing it then getting the cops round to have a word.. yeah it felt safer than going to a park where I can walk past 100 people to do same thing as walking past nobody

Frustrating for sure

Slab

Money List Winner
There is clearly a section of society that pays an additional tax or medical insurance or some other contribution that entitles them to ignore lock-down rules while others must remain compliant.
My irritation is that they need to wear some kind of vest or headgear so that the less fortunate among us can identify them & we’ll know why they are doing what they're doing

I’d suggest this:
dunce-hat-png-1.png

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner

I suggested to my wife she goes to the park and meets her mum on their own 2m apart it's allowed

She would feel more comfortable doing that in the garden. Which has side access. And less people use it than the park

But that's not allowed

Imagine doing it then getting the cops round to have a word.. yeah it felt safer than going to a park where I can walk past 100 people to do same thing as walking past nobody

Frustrating for sure
We have also been told to use our common sense.

If it makes sense to keep away from a crowded park then do so. There have been 1000s of ppl that have done a quick visit to ones garden keeping extra distance. Including many in government.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Watched "Hospital" on the BBC last night and very sobering. In the past there has been too much of a "political" element to the programme...lots of talk about lack of funding/resources etc but this really did focus on life on the front line during a pandemic.

Hats off to the staff - incredibly tough working conditions for many reasons.

Second part tonight.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
Watched "Hospital" on the BBC last night and very sobering. In the past there has been too much of a "political" element to the programme...lots of talk about lack of funding/resources etc but this really did focus on life on the front line during a pandemic.

Hats off to the staff - incredibly tough working conditions for many reasons.

Second part tonight.
One of our good friends is a theatre sister but due to there being no elective surgery she's working in ITU. She has worked there before, and in total has almost 40 years experience. She is displaying some serious "battle fatigue." I know some don't like the comparison with war, and I don't view it that way either. I just can't think of a better way of explaining it.

At the start of it all she knew what she was going into but its just part of the job for her. A week ago she was seriously, desperately upset at the amount of deaths in ITU. This last few days we're lucky to get a response to Whatsapp messages, and when we do they're clipped and lacking in the emotion we're used to, e.g. no daft emoji's.

We will continue with our usual messages, and include the usual 'madness' between friends, but our hearts are breaking for her.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
One of our good friends is a theatre sister but due to there being no elective surgery she's working in ITU. She has worked there before, and in total has almost 40 years experience. She is displaying some serious "battle fatigue." I know some don't like the comparison with war, and I don't view it that way either. I just can't think of a better way of explaining it.

At the start of it all she knew what she was going into but its just part of the job for her. A week ago she was seriously, desperately upset at the amount of deaths in ITU. This last few days we're lucky to get a response to Whatsapp messages, and when we do they're clipped and lacking in the emotion we're used to, e.g. no daft emoji's.

We will continue with our usual messages, and include the usual 'madness' between friends, but our hearts are breaking for her.
Must be so tough. The programme did feature a couple of patients who I was sure were going to succumb but both defied the odds. In that respect it wasn't as dark as it could have been. The interraction with families is so tough for them - over the telephone rather than in person...

Plus the PPE looks damned uncomfortable and one nurse was struggling with the heat and also feeling out of his depth. Admiration for them knows no bounds.

Hopefully your friend will come through this and be back to her old self although I'm sure many will feel the effects for a very long time.

Thread starter #7,213

drdel

Tour Rookie

But that's not allowed

Frustrating for sure
But its only 2 weeks to 1st of June and a further relaxing of advice if we keep to the SD for a bit longer.

Reemul

Head Pro
But its only 2 weeks to 1st of June and a further relaxing of advice if we keep to the SD for a bit longer.
Yeah but...

My brother-in-law lives about a mile away, I can call him up and from tomorrow we can go up our golf club and play a round of golf for 4 hours as long as we stay 2m away from each other but apparently I cannot sit in his garden with him for 30 mins sitting 2m+ away from each other.

This is the stuff that gets people to not follow the rules and try to justify it

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Yeah but...

My brother-in-law lives about a mile away, I can call him up and from tomorrow we can go up our golf club and play a round of golf for 4 hours as long as we stay 2m away from each other but apparently I cannot sit in his garden with him for 30 mins sitting 2m+ away from each other.

This is the stuff that gets people to not follow the rules and try to justify it
Shouldnt we be glad that we have moved on a bit.

Hobbit

Ryder Cup Winner
"How has it affected you."

I've grown up this last 60+ years within a few miles of the sea. As a kid I was chased out of plenty of fishing boats, and my first career choice was as a radio operator MN.

Earlier today we went down to Mojacar Playa - courtesy of the Spanish version of lockdown our first trip out together. There was a bill to pay, and I needed a new pair of sandals. We pulled up at our usual parking spot, about 2 yards from the edge of the beach. Looking out to sea I filled up and my bottom lip quivered. I stood for 10 mins just looking out to sea. Maybe its salt water in my veins. And maybe lockdown has hurt more than I thought.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
On the plus side we've now completely decamped from our escalation spaces in theatres and recovery meaning all our Covid patients are being house on the main ICU so numbers coming down (now 20). Not sure what happens if we see a big spike similar to Germany and other countries that have relaxed their lockdown rules as I think the plan is to deep clean and get these functioning again as operating theatres asap

GB72

Money List Winner
Yeah but...

At least some explanation this morning. Some people do not have gardens and so too easier a leap of logic to think, OK in the house is fine. Also many have gardens that can only be accessed through the house and, again, the temptation to linger in the house is pretty strong if the weather is not great or in any household, to head inside if it starts raining. The important part is keeping the meetings outside where it is safer. I am sure garden meetings will come soon enough but these are the first steps and needed to be steps that could be rolled back quickly without reversing a massive change in mindset in the population if the figures start to rise so, for me, it will be a walk up to the local sports field for a chat.

Thread starter #7,219

drdel

Tour Rookie
At least some explanation this morning. Some people do not have gardens and so too easier a leap of logic to think, OK in the house is fine. Also many have gardens that can only be accessed through the house and, again, the temptation to linger in the house is pretty strong if the weather is not great or in any household, to head inside if it starts raining. The important part is keeping the meetings outside where it is safer. I am sure garden meetings will come soon enough but these are the first steps and needed to be steps that could be rolled back quickly without reversing a massive change in mindset in the population if the figures start to rise so, for me, it will be a walk up to the local sports field for a chat.
Yup, inside houses is one of worst places for transmission. You are in a closed space for more than the 10 to 15mins and 2m might be hard to maintain.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Herself not a happy lady... Seems the masses have taken Boris's announcement as the nod to resume shopping as family and friends groups... And, the shops, having previously been monitoring it in a professional manner, now not bothering to make any attempt to control it...