Coronavirus - how is it/has it affected you?

Fish

2 Pints Max, Leaves The Third
It looks like you are the one sitting in your window seeking the police out . Or your patrol car is it that you look out of?
There were two in my road first day of lockdown ,first and last I have seen for a very long time here.
It’s not a bandwagon .
I havnt seen them ! Is that simple enough for you?
The only two cops I see on a regular basis are on the Prescot by pass every few days with a speed camera! That’s a fact.
But you belive what you see I will what I don’t!
i see loads on every visit to a Wild Bean cafe in fuel stations, they’re like moths to a light bulb 😜

I‘ve also seems plenty of unmarked cars on the motorways over the last few weeks getting stuck into the speedsters, but I’ve not seen any mobile camera vans on the usually bridges, maybe they don’t want to be too visible in these times, but I’d personally like to see more on the roads as the speeding on roads, all roads, is madness at the moment.

The only thing that is slowly reducing the speeding currently, is, with the likes of some stores now opening, with garden centres possibly adding to the list, more people are coming out onto the roads, so the speedsters don’t have the clearer roads as they had 2 weeks or more ago. Some good from a bad situation!

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
It looks like you are the one sitting in your window seeking the police out . Or your patrol car is it that you look out of?
There were two in my road first day of lockdown ,first and last I have seen for a very long time here.
It’s not a bandwagon .
I havnt seen them ! Is that simple enough for you?
The only two cops I see on a regular basis are on the Prescot by pass every few days with a speed camera! That’s a fact.
But you belive what you see I will what I don’t!
You’re not looking hard enough. Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they’re not there although, with respect, they won’t spend their entire time on just your street - unless, of course, your local residents are giving them good reason to be there.

If you’re expecting to see a beat officer walking, then don’t because they are something of a rarity. But there’s more than one way of being active in communities.

And, sorry, your suggestion the police these days rely on cameras is absolute codswallop. It was that element of your post I took exception to.

Last edited:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
You’re not looking hard enough. Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they’re not there although, with respect, they won’t spend their entire time on just your street - unless, of course, your local residents are giving them good reason to be there.

If you’re expecting to see a beat officer walking, then don’t because they are something of a rarity. But there’s more than one way of being active in communities.

And, sorry, your suggestion the police these days rely on cameras is absolute codswallop. It was that element of your post I took exception to.
With all due respect not sure, seemingly, 'hiding' behind locked doors equates with community policing... Nearly all of the tradesmen, we know, no longer bother, these days, reporting break ins/thefts from their vans/lock ups... Advising it's, for them, not worth the effort relative to the response... Cousin works in a mini-mart and whilst they follow company procedure reporting theft/anti-social behaviour they've grown accustomed to total lack of support/response...

And, yes I have taken this up with local politicians with very little positive response... Think the police have gone the corporate route and now only provide a service where it represents "good value" ...

hovis

Tour Winner
With all due respect not sure, seemingly, 'hiding' behind locked doors equates with community policing... Nearly all of the tradesmen, we know, no longer bother, these days, reporting break ins/thefts from their vans/lock ups... Advising it's, for them, not worth the effort relative to the response... Cousin works in a mini-mart and whilst they follow company procedure reporting theft/anti-social behaviour they've grown accustomed to total lack of support/response...

And, yes I have taken this up with local politicians with very little positive response... Think the police have gone the corporate route and now only provide a service where it represents "good value" ...
I reported my phone stolen and told them the iemi number or whatever its called is still active. They said they could trace it but they would only go through that process if it was linked to a bigger crime. They told me to register my phone on some Web page.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
I've seen so many police since lock down. On the way to work seeing more and more cars patrolling .. they randomly drive past the house aswell
Paul we both live in Havering but my view is quite different, I’ve not seen any patrol cars and I cannot remember ever seeing foot patrols by either PCSOs or “proper coppers” along our street or over Harrow lodge park. Before lockdown if there was an incident over the park like a mugging then the “parks police” would park their pick up truck in the car park for a few days, but that was it. Policing in Hornchurch is virtually non existent.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Paul we both live in Havering but my view is quite different, I’ve not seen any patrol cars and I cannot remember ever seeing foot patrols by either PCSOs or “proper coppers” along our street or over Harrow lodge park. Before lockdown if there was an incident over the park like a mugging then the “parks police” would park their pick up truck in the car park for a few days, but that was it. Policing in Hornchurch is virtually non existent.
I've seen a lot drive past the house but I live on a main road I'm unsure if you do so could be why. Also with me working a lot I'm seeing them on my journeys almost daily

Plus we don't know how many unmarked cars their are

406 defo has its share of marked cars atm

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
I really am not going to become embroiled in a debate about policing, other than to say it is exceptionally easy to criticise that which you don’t really understand.

Policing is one of the most complex jobs there is, with officers expected to be all things to all people. Those who choose the career immediately make themselves fair game to the press, media, public and politicians to vilify, that vilification often being based on nothing other than ill informed speculation.

To touch on one or two comments, a good deal of what is referred to as volume crime is classed these days as non-attendant meaning, yes, you’ve guessed it, that you may not receive a visit. That is a direct result of the huge expansion in what the police are now expected to take responsibility for following demands from you, the public. Put simply, nobody can be in two places at once, never mind half a dozen, and if a physical officer presence at a crime scene won’t bring any value to an investigation, then time and resources are better spent elsewhere.

Policing has evolved enormously in the last twenty years or so, much of it not to the liking of the police themselves. But the days of Dixon Of Dock Green, and bobbies on every street corner, are long gone.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
There’s a fine line between upholding the law and alienating the public/communities. The lockdown from the outset has been a joke.

Are you surprised when theres been leaked plans from the govt prior to a bank holiday weekend to loosen the lockdown from Monday?

The lockdown has been a half arsed one too, so many mixed messages coming from the govt.

Its ok you sitting there suggesting it’ll be ok because the OB will have support from majority, you don’t have to deal with the backlash from minority causing problems, within the communities. I’ll it leave to the experts who have a proven track record.
Yes, it is OK for me to sit here making suggestions on how things could be improved, it's called 'holding to account' just like so many here are saying their criticism of the Government is holding to account. If we dont want the Law upholding then dont bother with Police, upholding the rules on lockdown is not a popularity contest. If you dont like people holding the Police to account then dont use it on the Government either.

Regarding your comments on the Governments leaks I agree 100% it's wrong and creating problems.

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
In this country we have policing by consent, by and large it works and as a result, it has encouraged the politicians of all sides to cut the numbers of officers to save money.

The problem is that when a significant proportion of the population have had enough (rightly or wrongly) it is very difficult for the police to do much about it

The politicians have a tricky balancing act to perform, with the needs of the vulnerable on one hand and the wishes of the rest of society on the other

Get it wrong either way and either people die or there is public unrest.

Glad I’m not a politician

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
In this country we have policing by consent, by and large it works and as a result, it has encouraged the politicians of all sides to cut the numbers of officers to save money.

The problem is that when a significant proportion of the population have had enough (rightly or wrongly) it is very difficult for the police to do much about it

The politicians have a tricky balancing act to perform, with the needs of the vulnerable on one hand and the wishes of the rest of society on the other

Get it wrong either way and either people die or there is public unrest.

Glad I’m not a politician
It’s being reported that since Big Ange eased measures in Ze Fatherland cases have started going up (good luck with that Bunderliga thingy!)
Isn't it obvious that would happen when we're talking about a virus which is transmitted via human contact ?

Which is why a lot of people are now questioning the lockdown measures as they are simply delaying, rather than halting, the spread.

Do we continue to keep the present measures in place until a vaccine is discovered, which seems to be a long way off and do further damage to an already battered economy, and of course the livelihoods of many people. Or do we accept the fact that most people are going to catch it at some time in the future and try to get back to some sort of normality ?

Answers on a postcard to No 10 Downing

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro
Isn't it obvious that would happen when we're talking about a virus which is transmitted via human contact ?

Which is why a lot of people are now questioning the lockdown measures as they are simply delaying, rather than halting, the spread.
I partly agree, but if the virus has nowhere to go, because you limit personal contact, the spread ultimately has to die out.

That’s the whole purpose of lockdown and social distancing. If the R number stays below 1 then the virus diminishes.

I’m certainly not saying that is going to happen, but that’s the underpinning theory.

PhilTheFragger

Global Moderator
Staff member
Something in not quite getting, can someone explain

We have been in lockdown for 7 weeks now

The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days and if you get it, then you have it for 2 or 3 weeks.

So we should be seeing a dramatic reduction in both new cases and deaths, yes both figures have improved, but both should be nearer zero by now.

Where are people still catching it from?

Is it from Hospitals, carehomes or the wider public at large?

Billysboots

Challenge Tour Pro

The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days and if you get it, then you have it for 2 or 3 weeks.

So we should be seeing a dramatic reduction in both new cases and deaths, yes both figures have improved, but both should be nearer zero by now.

At least one scientist is saying the community spread is now likely to be very low. The suggestion is the virus, and the spread of it, is now confined largely to hospitals and care homes.

I thought the same of figures in countries like France, which seemed to stay on a high-ish plateau for a week or so, before starting to drop dramatically. I think in France yesterday they reported 80 deaths and less than 500 new infections, an enormous improvement on where they were not long ago.

Whilst the figures are important, we need to know the context to them, and at the moment we simply don’t. All we see are depressingly high numbers. But I take some comfort in the fact that, whilst our daily deaths seem to be fairly constant, the figure now includes all settings. If we used the same method as a month ago (hospitals only) I suspect the numbers would now be far lower - perhaps even as low as they were a month ago.

It’s all about context and the facts behind the figures.

Imurg

Grand Slam Winner

I'm sure someone on here was saying that the majority of infections are from hospitals and care homes..outside of that infection rates are quite low